Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Did you mean $1000 below MSRP? If it is invoice, did you mean after the $2500 dealer cash, please post the dealer name. You got a good deal.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    i will give u my take.
    Sequoia is the choice if space and overall reliability is your priority. it's a relative gas hog but none of these vehicles are leaders in that category.
    X5 will probably win if "fun-drive" is the top of your priority list. ((value has different definitions for everybody -- for some, it's most fun for dollar, for others it's reliability, utility, etc, etc)) However, X5 is low in space and reliability, tho 02 model should be an improvement. (all 3 should improve during 02 model)
    ML will probably win if you want a solid SUV that handles good in offroad and onroad, can handle 7 people if required and is a good allaround utility vehicle.

hope that helps.
  • arom1arom1 Member Posts: 13
    I think I got a pretty good deal, but I think you could probably do slightly better?

My deal MSRP $54440
    invoice was 49395. I paid 48395. So $1000 under invoice but the dealer gets a $2500 dealer cash, so essentially its $1500 over cost.

Fantastic lease rates right now made the whole thing about $300 a month less than last time I priced it.
    Congratulation on your new ride. The price you got is pretty good. Did you check with your dealer on the aux fan recall?
  • mdx4funmdx4fun Member Posts: 11
    The 8 way seat is very comfortable in the X5. It had great lumbar support. I haven't try the 4.4i though.

I'm not sure about the 4.6i will be replace the 4.4i or just an additional model.

Consider this the 4.4i now is having a $2500 dealer cash. Look at post #354, this user can the 4.4i $1000 below invoice and have the dealer keep the $2500. I think it is pretty good. However the MPG is so low on the 4.4i compare with the 3.0i (obivously). It is just to a personal reference. My sales didn't recommend the 4.4i either. He said 3.0i is good enough and I agree with him. =)

Good luck on your decision.
    The dealer told me it was a $2500 investment, so I did not get it. I would really like to have it though. Anyone find a better deal?
    Hmm, you can call around the dealer. Try Pacific BMW in Glendale.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I have done some research, and here is some pricing I found. One thing you need to verify is build date. I believe that you need a build date after 04/01 in order to use the Motorola Timeport option (vehicle is pre wired for this). I have just purchased an X5 and am trying to install this in my vehicle. Here is the best pricing I've found so far.

8000 series phone - $495
    Install kit - $595
    Compensator - $296
    Voice recognition - $350
    Plus installation (according to my dealer it's 4 hours of work)

You also need to determine what service you will be using as Verizon/Sprint and ATT/Bell use different phones (TDMA or CDMA).

good luck.

I've tried to read through the 300+ threads here, but was unable to find anything regarding the stereo system. As I bought my X5 off the lot, it did not have everything I was looking for, one item being Premium sound. Having listened to a premium system after the fact, I can say that I was very dissapointed with the system, and happy not to have paid the $ for the upgrade. Having said that the stock system is pitiful! Has anyone managed to upgrade amp and speakers while utilizing the stock head unit? I've leased my X and don't want to blow too much $ on the stereo but need to do something as it's current sound reproduction is less than stellar. None of the shops around here have done anything to one yet, and I'm not ready to be the test case.

Also, I've been searching all over and can't locate many discount suppliers for accessories. most cater only to BMW cars, not the SAV. Any ideas - I'm looking for front bumper guard, CD changer and a few other items of that sort.

All in all I like the X a lot, a huge difference from my previous car (good and bad) and my wife's ML. I had a blast at the BMW X intro and have wanted one since that time. After I did the deal I was a little uneasy about driving a SAV in lieu of a high performance sedan, but I wanted to make a change. We'll see if I can hack it for three years.
    so that adds up to $2200 or so..so my quote of $2500 was close enough to make me reconsider my need for this feature :-)

for what its worth, since I got the nav system, I had to get the cd changer separately. I know it retails for $595 plus an install kit thats in the neighborhood of $100 plus some more cabling, etc. Total cost from deal was about $900~. Again, not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I have found the OEM changers for $285 plus $26.96 for install kit, and $19.69 for cable, not too bad. Changer is different for NAV/Premium package vs stock. Where is your changer mounted and who is it manufactured by?

The guy who quoted me phone info (wholesale BMW parts dealer) quoted $420 for the changer plus the other numbers. I have seen a few Alpine (OEM) changers for the X on e-bay for $285, but brackets, install etc. are not included. I get a little worried about e-bay purchases, so I may just go the "wholesaler" route just to be sure.

My X seems to be pre wired for everything, and I used to do a lot of stereo installs so I'm not too scared of trying to install phone system (with Bentley manual by my side)and can definitely handle changer install (plug and play). I really want to know if you can eliminate factory stereo amp and speakers and upgrade these without loosing standard functions and controls found in stock head unit. The other route is to do an all out system, and then re-install factory system at lease end. Too many other things to waste money on right now! like a $2,500 phone! Next year the option will probably be half of that and in two years most states will do what my county has done (made hands free required)and manufacturers will have to include it as standard!
    I had mine installed at the dealer for $800 even. The cd-changer will be located just below the navigation unit (the one that located in the truck) and is by Alpine.
    $925 installed. Oh well, looks like they had to make a little extra $$$ somewhere..

1 week with the x5 and lovin life. Its far and away the best SUV,SAV whatever you want to call it - I have ever driven, and I have driven almost all of the SUV's out there...the 4.4 V8 is simply amazing, and gets fairly decent mileage during highway driving...city driving? Yikes...thats another story!
  • x5savx5sav Member Posts: 46
    Congratulation. I just browse through all 300+ messages on this forum. I had just pick up my X5 3.0i two weeks ago. Sales trying to charge me $1195 for cd-changer. After much haggling I lower it down to $800 even. Same as mdx4fun.

As long as you enjoy your car, it is worth every penny you put it in.
    Did anyone had Dinan modifiaction on their X5?

Arom1-Which dealer did you brought it from?
  • wjc23wjc23 Member Posts: 11
    I'm interested in a 2001 4.4 X5. I called a dealer in Atlanta and told him I knew about the dealer cash, and he asked me how I knew about the $4,000 dealer cash. This surprised me b/c I thought the dealer cash was only $2,500 per edmunds.

Can anyone verify that $4,000 is the correct amount?
  • tom00tom00 Member Posts: 11
    I'm trying to lease a SUV and have narrowed down to these 2. Very different vehicles. was quoted a lease on a '01 470 at a very good price, but it is in FL. I own a 528 and my wife likes the size better of the X5. we know it is short on cargo room. we have 2 boys, 8 & 5. the Lexus does offer 3rd seat, but we have a Volvo XC with a 3rd seat that has been used maybe 6 time in 2+ years. how do most of you handle vacations with the limited space. also, i don't think it is worth the difference in going to a 4.4 unless i can get an execellent price on a 2001. any feedback would be appricated.
  • gschlactgschlact Member Posts: 4
    can anyone describe the differneces between X5 4.4 and ML500.
    I have not yet driven ML500 but plan too and want to know what to expect.
    when I drove x5 4.4, it was powerful, nice ride/handling and roomy inside for passengers.
    Thanks,
    Guy
    hehe..its $2500 dealer cash...of course it can also be $4000 dealer cash if you pay MSRP. Its all how you look at it.

my advice? dont play their game. Realize they need to make a buck..about $2500-$3000 actually. Tell your dealer you want invoice + the buy rate on the lease (.00195 which is like 4.3%). OR ANY OTHER DEAL where the monthly lease payment comes out the same. That way they make their money ($2500 dealer cash) and you get a good deal on a great car.
    Yes. Agreed with arom1. And tell your dealer you want the lease from BMW Financial not other 3rd party bank. You can go the BMW website and applied for pre-approval then you bring it the approval to the dealer. It will make your process faster.
    Arom and X5SAV,

Thanks for your help. I had considered purchasing but am also looking at leasing.

What would a fair lease price be on a 4.4 w/$3,000 down for 36 months at 12,000 miles per year?

I've seen $599/mo. and $3,000 down advertised once I believe. Does the dealer get the $2500 if he leases to me for 3 years?
    It really depends on what kind of equipment is in your 4.4. If you can tell me, it will be easier.

Sure, the $2500 dealer cash is also available for lease. You can applied this toward the down payment to lower the cap cost. Just make sure your dealer knows it.

Good Luck.
    is a simple calculation...
    cap cost - residual = $monthly dep cost
    cap cost + resid = monthly rent charge

Of course, until you pick your car which its respective MSRP we cannot determine a price, since the MSRP will lead to cap cost and residual #'s and that determines a payment...
    on the model I'm looking at.
    so msrp 52500, the invoice should be about $5K less, so about $47500.

so, cap cost= 47500+725(acqfee)=$48225
    residual of 61% (12K miles per year) of MSRP = $32025.

depreciation charge = 48225-32025=16200/36=450
    rent fee = 48225+32025*.00195(money factor)=$156

total monthly fee = $606
    Thats a no money down lease..only drive off costs.
    YOu need to add sales tax to the $606 of course.
    This deal allows the dealer to keep the $2500 dealer cash - not a bad margin on a 2001 car at the end of the year. I think you should be able to get this deal, or very close to it, without too much problem.
    so you said your advertised deal was $3K down and $599 a month. I would just make sure that the $3K down includes EVERYTHING, like first month and security, etc.. and that you get 12K per year on the miles. If thats the case, then $599 is a decent deal. You might be able to get it for a like 10-15 less a month, but thats about it..

drive off on this car is about $2K in california where we still have hefty (though far reduced, thank god) DMV fees of about $370 for this car.
  • jjr10jjr10 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering leasing a 2002 or 2001 x5 3.0 with premium package, sports package and auto trans. as the major options. 3 year 12k or 15k lease.

Can anyone share what type of lease deals they have gotten for this vehicle?
    The 2001 is having the best deal. For the 3 years/36k miles lease, BMW Financial is giving the X5 3.0 with a money factor of .0022 and 61% residual value.
  • joyrphjoyrph Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE 1 PAYMENT LEFT ON MY ACURA LEASE AND WANT TO LEASE AN X5. BECAUSE OF LOW MILEAGE,ETC THE CAR IS VALUED 2-3000 ABOVE RESIDUAL VALUE. CAN A DEALER PURCHASE THE CAR FROM THE LESSOR AND USE THE DIFFERENCE AS A DOWN PAYMENT OR CAN ONLY THE LESSEE(ME) PURCHASE THE CAR? THE BANK I CHECKED WITH WAS NOT IN THE KNOW. BY THE TIME I BUY IT, AND PAY SALES TAX AND PAPERWORK FEES, I WOULD LOSE MOST OF THE GAIN. THIS SITE GREATLY HELPED ME DECIDE ON AN X5 OVER THE MDX (NOT TO MENTION THE 5 MONTH WAIT AND NO CAR TO TEST DRIVE.)THANKS FOR ANY INFO
  • brianinvegasbrianinvegas Member Posts: 53
    Last night the wife and I picked up our new 2002 4.4 X5. What a fabulous machine. Our first BMW.

It has everything except the navigation system; including the sport package and 19" wheels. The ride and handling are great. We also have a '98 Vette and '00 Silverado 4x4 with 18" wheels, etc. so a firm ride is the norm for us.

The color is Green Gray Metallic and we love it.
    glad u like your new vehicle.. what comparisons did you do??

thx.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congrats, Brian!

I am jealous!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Thanks for the congrats. Compared the X5 to the MB430 but we just did not like the looks of the MB.

Believe it or not, we considered the Trailblazer because my wife, the primary driver, really liked the size and looks. We are loyal Chevy people but really wanted something special and were willing to part with some $$$. If the Trailblazer had a V8 and AWD it would be top notch; although that I6 is impressive.

But the X5 4.4i is amazing in every way. And the customer service at Henderson BMW is first class. We thought about ordering the 4.6i but glad we didn't spend the extra $10k.

Happy to be a part of your group.
  • woodywwwoodyww Member Posts: 1,806
    Here are some questions about leasing, or buying an X5 if anyone could help me out: I've never leased before; was always one of those "pay cash for a 2 y.o. car & keep it for 10 years" kind of people. But I paid cash for my used '98 Range Rover (I know, I know) & have lost my shirt in depreciation in less than a year.

What does anyone think about leasing vs. buying an X5? I tend to put on REALLY low miles, around 6,000 per year. And my commitment to keeping cars for many years seems to be slipping. Also, can I trade in the RR & save sales tax if I lease?

Also, it seems like it's probably not worth it to buy a used X5 over new, that I wouldn't save that much, anyone agree/disagree? And any advice on ordering an '02 vs. buying or leasing an '01? I'm wondering if they might have worked out more of the "bugs" on the '02's....... Finally, are there any 3.0 fans here? I've only driven the 3.0 so far, & loved it, altho I'm sure the 4.4 is awesome.

I know these are a lot of questions, but any advice would be appreciated. BTW, my "other car" is an '88 M6.

Thanks!
    We leased our '02 X5 because it is our first BMW and wanted to try it out for 3 years. It is awesome of course. The lease residual factor is very high so the lease payments are not so bad.

In my humble opinion, which means nothing because everyone is different, if you drive a lot of miles you should buy the vehicle. If you really want to keep the vehicle long term, then you should buy. If you want a good tax write off, want a new vehicle every 3 years, and keep it under 12,000 miles per year then lease IF the lease deal is good.
    Brian,

you mentioned leasing IF the lease deal is good. Can u qualify that?? Like the previous caller, I have always bought the car ((new ones)) and typically held for around 5 years. HOwever, with all of the tech changes to vehicles i am thinking of holding my next one for around 3 years. ((actually, if bmw or toyota made a vehicle that held 7 seats, like mdx or ml i would probably hold longer.)) anyway, what qualifies as a good lease or bad lease??

thx.
    Anyone have advice on Boston area BMW dealers, particularly re: their service Departments? I haven't really been overly impressed with any of the ones I've visited, altho that was usually for sales. I've heard good things about Peabody.....bad things about Herb Chambers.....had one decidedly mixed experience myself at Foreign Motors West with my current BMW.

However, last time I checked, Herb Chambers was the only one willing to discount a new X5.

Thanks!
    It is good to lease if there is a lease support from the manufacture. Last month BMW had provide lease support on all the 01 X5 model. The money factor is so low (.0022 on 3.0i, and .0019 on 4.4i) and with a 61% residual on a 3 year lease. This is one heck of a deal. You can go to Edmund's Lease Question and ask the host Car_man what is the current lease deal for the X5.
  • sralawsralaw Member Posts: 1
    If you are uncertain, it seems feasible to lease and depending upon your circumstances at the end of lease, you can then elect to buy or turn it back in.
    My lease residual on the '02 4.4i is 72%; which I thought was great.

I always compare buying to leasing by adding up the amount of the checks I have to cut to buy the vehicle after 3 years; if a 3 years lease. I figure a 3 year loan of payments at 8% vs. lease payments plus the residual. Just my own hokey method.

By comparison, the Cadillac Escalade (a fine SUV) has a residual ratio of 51% after 3 years. That makes for some high lease payments if you have no intention of buying it at the end of term.
  • ken1566ken1566 Member Posts: 2
    I Plan on purchasing a 2002 X-5 3.0
    Options Include: Climate Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg.,
    Lumbar,Premium audio,Premium Pkg.
    Automatic Transmission, Xenon,
    Self Dimming Mirrors, the
    Sliding Load Floor.

I'm currently $1850.00 Under the TMV,

But still $3145.00 Over invoice

I live in the New York City Area

Any Advice Would Be Greatly Appreciated

Thanks

Kenny
  • mmarino2mmarino2 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a new BMW X5 3.0i. Can anyone help me search for a dealer that can give me the best price. I live in Middletown New Jersey but will take dealer names from anywhere. Thanks. Mike from NJ
  • ken1566ken1566 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Mike,

As of now I',m paying 3145.00 over invoice,

I haven't made the deal yet.

The options are in message 392

If you get a better price let me know.

By the way the dealer tried to give me 6.99

But I was approved on line through BMW at 5%

Good Luck

Kenny
  • x5ownerx5owner Member Posts: 1
    I am the new owner of an X5. I am trying to find some type of cover for the rear bumper to guard against nicks, scratches, etc. (really the equivalent of a "bra" for the rear of the SUV). This would seem to me like a pretty obvious accessory, but I am not having much luck finding anything. Anyone have any suggestions?
    This may be a really dumb question, but I was trying to apply for credit approval tonight on bmw.usa.com.........it had questions "1,2, & 3", but NO way to go to question #4 to submit??? I have a Mac.....but I don't know what difference that would make.

Thanks for any info/advice!
  • mrr60mrr60 Member Posts: 11
    x5owner: A couple of ideas, there's something called a bumper saver that I saw on a Stylinconcepts.com minivan catalog. It's a rubber mat that attaches via adhesive to the top of the bumper to give you something to step on. Of course the rest of the bumper is exposed. If you have a trailer hitch you can use a a Hitchstep from GoRhino. We use this in my wife's Toyota Sequoia. It's a tubular bar that attaches to the 2 inch hitch and acts as a step so you can reach the roof. It wont cover the entire bumper though.
  • dpb54dpb54 Member Posts: 6
    I've had bad experiences with Wagner in the past.
    Have heard from a friend they like For. Motors.
  • senneca01senneca01 Member Posts: 34
    If you guys have not seen it yet, check out the new Volvo XC90 SUV. It wonder how it will stack up to the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML-Series? It is supposed to have more room than the X5 and ML, plus seat up to 7 people, forward facing.

Volvo XC90 Pictures

• frank3333frank3333 Member Posts: 3
    My X5 is in for service all the time. Bmw is not very careful about building a quality car. THey also are not too concerned about their customers. THere have been stalling problems, noises they can't fix from the windshield, replaced latches, gaskets, fuel senders, fans, thermostat, and more. Maybe in a few years they'll have it worked out. Consumer reports notes many folks have had repair problems. The Lexus doesn't have as good a safety rating or handle well, but the build quality isn't a question.
    Just passed 2000 miles on the '02 4.4i X5 with sport package and 19" wheels. So far it is perfect and an awesome vehicle.

Last weekend went from Las Vegas to San Diego and back. 80 mph on I-15; no down shifting on the mountain passes. 18.5 mpg getting there and 18.9 mpg getting back.

Happy with that mileage if anyone cares. Around town is about 14 mpg with very short trips.