Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

The Tesla Model S has plenty of things going for it. Good rear visibility is not one of them.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    They should make a 1080p HD camera that you can have on when the car is operational so that you can always check your six if you are untrusting of your properly adjusted side mirrors.
  • rock2155rock2155 Member Posts: 20
    Haha like there is not already a rearview camera that can be used while driving.

Please add a "Click to enlarge" on the pics...
  • robs249_robs249_ Member Posts: 42
    Whats the deal with the headrests? Are they fixed or adjustable? Do they even offer support/protection for taller people?
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Cant u use the rear view camera as you drive forwards?
  • arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    Unfortunately, this is not unique to the Model S. Have any of you driven a Honda Crosstour?
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    C-Pillars are almost as large as those on the Challenger, but with a much smaller rear window. Is this strictly for design or for roof crush crash test scoring?
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @noburgers: Styling, safety, aero, and weight (less glass). I don't think it's a big deal, somehow I don't think Tesla drivers really pay much attention to what's happening behind them.
  • carfreak13carfreak13 Member Posts: 17
    In the Tesla you can leave the rear-view camera on while driving forward, but most people said it was more distracting than helpful.
  • frankviajefrankviaje Member Posts: 1
    So, use the side mirrors! Box truck drivers deal with this reality all the time.
  • jvonbokeljvonbokel Member Posts: 14
    I think this picture is a bit misleading. Yes, the rear visibility is limited, but I don't find that it impedes my driving at all. They way I describe it is that you can see the bumper and headlights of the car behind you, but you can't see the driver. For some reason there is an instinct to want to see the driver (I find myself occasionally trying to re-position my head to see), but realistically it doesn't help.
  • jvonbokeljvonbokel Member Posts: 14
    I think this picture is a bit misleading. Yes, the rear visibility is limited, but I don't find that it impedes my driving at all. They way I describe it is that you can see the bumper and headlights of the car behind you, but you can't see the driver. For some reason there is an instinct to want to see the driver (I find myself occasionally trying to re-position my head to see), but realistically it doesn't help. And yes, you can turn the HD rear camera on at any time, but I find that the motion draws the eyes and becomes distracting. Some owners I've talked to have said they use it while driving though.
  • temoore_temoore_ Member Posts: 10
    You can turn on the rear view camera and have a truly panoramic view to the rear all the time...
  • joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    cant you use the backup camera at any time in this car? maybe thats meant to overcome the difficulty.