Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Having a big central screen to control everything is great. Except if it's the only way to unlock the doors.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    Since the car auto locks itself when you walk away from it or when you start driving and it unlock when you walk up to it I'm not quite sure why you would ever need to manually unlock it? I've never found the need to press the "lock" button on the screen at all in my 8 months of driving it.
  • teslamspteslamsp Member Posts: 4
    I agree with DrComputer's comment. With 6 months of owning the car, I've never had to use the "lock" button on the screen.

Also, it's not true that the screen and the key fob are the only ways to unlock the doors. When you stop to pick up a passenger and put the car in "Park", the doors unlock. You shouldn't be loading passengers while in "Drive" anyway.
  • stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    One more in agreement here. Never had to use those controls.
  • hooninaroundhooninaround Member Posts: 40
    Bad Form! Missed opportunity there Tesla. You could have officially declared the "Front Trunk" a "Frunk" if you would've just programmed it on the display.
  • zhangrenhouzhangrenhou Member Posts: 79
    Ed, why don't you mention it the next time you go for service? Maybe there is a way to change the default screen, and if not, maybe they will include that feature in a future update.
  • toto_48313toto_48313 Member Posts: 8
    I agree with Drcomputer and Teslamsp, the door unlock by itself when you exit, and put in "park" the car allows passenger to get in.
    If you are parl for a while and want to unlock the car you can either, move the key fob, or use the "2 steps" screen menu.... but this means you were waiting so you have time to do it.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You have criticized the Tesla! Don't you know only praise is allowed?
  • zcalvertzcalvert Member Posts: 76
    on one of your more minor points... many cars put the central locking button in the center; both for RHD markets and so the passenger can hit it. i don't think that's a bad idea at all.
  • hotpass105hotpass105 Member Posts: 0
    While I'm sure this is never an issue in the posh LA neighborhoods I think that this is a safety issue. What if you needed to lock the doors in an emergency?
  • jeffhrejeffhre Member Posts: 10
    What about when you stop and let someone in, I don't think it will sense friend or foe and automatically let a passenger in and when you next stop automatically sense, uh oh stranger on the sidewalk and decide not to unlock. Is there a button to manually lock or unlock.

As far as where a lock button should be, my car has one on the center console not the door, and this works just fine.
  • jeffhrejeffhre Member Posts: 10
    Ohhh, put the car in park! That's a non-problem then. What about when you are in park and want the doors locked again, while in park?
  • mayhemmmayhemm Member Posts: 6
    The real question is can the door servos play the national anthem?

From their descriptions of the lock mechanism and needing to use the fob/screen, is it possible their car doesn't have the tech package?