Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Can an adult fit in the Tesla Model S rear-facing, trunk-mounted third-row seat?

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    My wife and I were talking about this third row option over brunch yesterday when a family pulled up in front of the restaurant and their kids piled out of the back (mom and dad were up front, the second row was empty). I am old enough to have ridden with lap belts only, no airbags, and in the bed of pickup trucks but... there is no way in hell I'd let my kids ride in that bench seat.

Call me crazy, call me paranoid, I don't care. That just seems like a very bad idea to me.
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    My wife and I were talking about this third row option over brunch yesterday when a family pulled up in front of the restaurant and their kids piled out of the back (mom and dad were up front, the second row was empty). I am old enough to have ridden with lap belts only, no airbags, and in the bed of pickup trucks but... there is no way in hell I'd let my kids ride in that bench seat.

Call me crazy, call me paranoid, I don't care. That just seems like a very bad idea to me.
  • rock2155rock2155 Member Posts: 20
    Actually I tend to differ, it looks way safer having the kids rear-facing as most of the accidents involve front end collision. The American Pediatric Association now recommends rear-facing until the age of 2 years old for that specific reason.
  • rock2155rock2155 Member Posts: 20
    Actually I tend to differ, it looks way safer having the kids rear-facing as most of the accidents involve front end collision. The American Pediatric Association now recommends rear-facing until the age of 2 years old for that specific reason.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    And just the other day I saw a mother and son sitting comfortably in the back of a Volvo XC70.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    And just the other day I saw a mother and son sitting comfortably in the back of a Volvo XC70.
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    If she can smile through all that then maybe she was smiling after all, that time you picked her up at the airport in the 911.
    She's a keeper, Riz!
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    If she can smile through all that then maybe she was smiling after all, that time you picked her up at the airport in the 911.
    She's a keeper, Riz!
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    Looks like there is plenty of room. This coming from a guy who use to take 4 passengers in my MGB. Yep, one in the trunk.
  • jasond52jasond52 Member Posts: 37
    Looks like there is plenty of room. This coming from a guy who use to take 4 passengers in my MGB. Yep, one in the trunk.
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    I don't have the jump seats. You are correct about the storage area under the trunk. We use it all the time. It's great for leaving items that you don't want to be seen without having to fuss with the parcel shelf. It's even better for groceries. You can fit 5 or 6 bags in that space and they don't slide around. Then you can use the cubby hole on the left for a six pack of beer. So much storage in this car and I think I've opened the frunk only three times.
  • dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    I don't have the jump seats. You are correct about the storage area under the trunk. We use it all the time. It's great for leaving items that you don't want to be seen without having to fuss with the parcel shelf. It's even better for groceries. You can fit 5 or 6 bags in that space and they don't slide around. Then you can use the cubby hole on the left for a six pack of beer. So much storage in this car and I think I've opened the frunk only three times.
  • nicadnicad Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to buy a Volvo wagon with rear seats about 8 years ago and the salesman at the Volvo dealer took me aside and said I would be better buying a XC 90 or MDX if I wanted to carry kids in it

Said he didn't approve of the lack of crumple zone and kids

I was impressed and bought an MDX and gave him some wine
  • nicadnicad Member Posts: 3
    I wanted to buy a Volvo wagon with rear seats about 8 years ago and the salesman at the Volvo dealer took me aside and said I would be better buying a XC 90 or MDX if I wanted to carry kids in it

Said he didn't approve of the lack of crumple zone and kids

I was impressed and bought an MDX and gave him some wine
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    East Germany ceased to exist almost a quarter century ago - were you even old enough to marry back then, much less smuggle out a bride-to-be or wife?
  • shepskishepski Member Posts: 45
    East Germany ceased to exist almost a quarter century ago - were you even old enough to marry back then, much less smuggle out a bride-to-be or wife?
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    Hmmm...torn jeans, sippy cup, seated in the trunk...this case looks suspicious...
  • blueprint1blueprint1 Member Posts: 22
    Hmmm...torn jeans, sippy cup, seated in the trunk...this case looks suspicious...
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Unless you are married to someone aged 10 and under and they weigh between 35 and 77 pounds they won't fit in the rear-facing CHILD seats.

Put the adults in the front facing seats like any normal non-sadist husband would do!
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Unless you are married to someone aged 10 and under and they weigh between 35 and 77 pounds they won't fit in the rear-facing CHILD seats.

Put the adults in the front facing seats like any normal non-sadist husband would do!
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Canadians...
  • banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Canadians...
  • boff_boff_ Member Posts: 51
    JRis your wife is pretty and is a good sport. A keeper!
  • boff_boff_ Member Posts: 51
    JRis your wife is pretty and is a good sport. A keeper!
  • jbrown08jbrown08 Member Posts: 15
    Ha I was wondering this same thing, seeing this would be kind of useful!
  • jbrown08jbrown08 Member Posts: 15
    Ha I was wondering this same thing, seeing this would be kind of useful!
  • lowprofilelowprofile Member Posts: 7
    James, you're a foot-and-a-half taller than your wife? you guys must get a few comments when you go out together! :)
  • lowprofilelowprofile Member Posts: 7
    James, you're a foot-and-a-half taller than your wife? you guys must get a few comments when you go out together! :)
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Good test, poor result - but that's why we test. My wife is 5'9", so if I order a Model S, it will be without those seats.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Good test, poor result - but that's why we test. My wife is 5'9", so if I order a Model S, it will be without those seats.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Best LT blog entry in a while. Thanks James, that was hugely entertaining. I'd like to note our 06 Taurus wagon had rear facing jump seats so that was fairly recent too. My wife's college roommate loved sitting back there, reliving childhood. I do really miss that now that we sold it. It was great for drive in movies.
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    Best LT blog entry in a while. Thanks James, that was hugely entertaining. I'd like to note our 06 Taurus wagon had rear facing jump seats so that was fairly recent too. My wife's college roommate loved sitting back there, reliving childhood. I do really miss that now that we sold it. It was great for drive in movies.
  • thgir_evomthgir_evom Member Posts: 4
    I think its sad you won't buy your wife new jeans...

Seriously though, sometimes it's nice to have the maginot line separate the parents from the kids...