Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

We bought a 2013 Tesla Model S Performance EV for a 20,000-mile long-term road test. Follow our updates to see if this electric car lives up to the hype.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• empoweredbcempoweredbc Member Posts: 50
    Kick [non-permissible content removed] ride, fellas! Way to go! Drive the hell out of that sumbitch!

Tesla will change the world!
  • sharpendsharpend Member Posts: 177
    Should be a very interesting 12 months with the ultimate EV.
  • cuselancer17cuselancer17 Member Posts: 53
    I am really excited about this. I think this is the most important/interesting new car youve had in the fleet in a long time. Yeah, Its out of reach for alot of people, myself included. But maybe Tesla will shock some other car makers into producing a good EV. cant wait guys, good buy!!!
  • wackfordwackford Member Posts: 41
    So, you pay nearly a grand for "delivery", in spite of picking it up!
    How ridiculous.
  • rjettrjett Member Posts: 24
    I'm excited about this one!
  • cjasiscjasis Member Posts: 274
    I can't believe I'm typing this but I'm probably more excited to follow this car than any car in your fleet in years!
  • alex2013alex2013 Member Posts: 2
    National Geographic HD - Tesla Model S : youtu.be/NAxtOwo8S8w
  • gtiguy3gtiguy3 Member Posts: 12
    Couldn't be happier about seeing a long-term test of this vehicle.

I will say that I agree with Elon Musk's statement regarding the NY Times article that there is a lot at stake.
  • flapsmcgeeflapsmcgee Member Posts: 0
    Please do a dyno test!!
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    My prediction, this LT test will garner the most comments. When the EV evangelists get wind of the fact Edmunds has one they will be here in droves. I'm looking forward to the test, but why the Jump seats?
  • noburgers_noburgers_ Member Posts: 79
    PLEASE don't turn this year long review into another Nissan Leaf experience--find some way of keeping this car charged and on the road. This should turn out to be a fun year!
  • lions208487lions208487 Member Posts: 240
    I may not be a real big fan of EV's, but this packs similar performance to a Panamara or perhaps even a nice subsitute for a 7 series, costs around the same, and is environmentally hipster friendly. I dig it.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    The Model S is an incredible achievment and a relative bargain given its size and performance level.

I am looking forward to seeing what the real range is and how reliable it is.
  • tbone85tbone85 Member Posts: 27
    Given the comments about the NYT debacle, you are creating doubt right up front about how unbiased you are going in.
  • tokyorushtokyorush Member Posts: 24
    Very excited to see how the year goes! I really like this car, and have high hopes that it will prove to be everything the initial reviews are making it out to be.
  • guildensternguildenstern Member Posts: 2
    The 40kWh Model S should be good for about 140 miles, not 100. (Tesla says 160 miles)

As far as I know, only the Coda and Toyota Rav4EV come close to this. The other so-called 100-mile car are really only good for about 75 miles (or less, in the case of the Mitsubishi i).

Congrats on the car, hope you enjoy it.
  • temoore_temoore_ Member Posts: 10
    Glad to see you tackle this with a positive but skeptical attitude! The important trade these days is between a plug in hybrid like Volt and a full electric like Tesla. Of course the number of charging points is going to make much of the difference, but performance and convenience matter as well.
  • temoore_temoore_ Member Posts: 10
    Glad to Edmunds tackle this with a positive but skeptical attitude! The important trade these days is between a plug in hybrid like Volt and a full electric like Tesla. Of course the number of charging points is going to make much of the difference, but performance and convenience matter as well.