Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

We plan on driving our 2013 Tesla Model S where it's cold and snowy this winter, so we bought some snow tires.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    "But our hand was forced in the case of the Model S because nobody makes a 245/35R21 all-season tire." This, plus the high price, plus the sensitivity of a 35-series tire to road imperfections, certainly makes the 19-inch seem more attractive.
  • Options
    dunning15dunning15 Member Posts: 0
    Hopefully you won't have to drive with a bubble in the sidewall.

LOL.
  • Options
    sodaguysodaguy Member Posts: 84
    If you were not Edmunds.com, a rental car would have been the cheaper and more practical option.
  • Options
    nicadnicad Member Posts: 3
    Great that you will be venturing into winter with the Tesla. I have always found those Pirellis are a great compromise when you are on dry roads. Keep piling the miles on.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Winter tires in 35-section size. You're out of your minds. You could have spent another grand and gotten dedicated 19-inch wheels and tires. 45 series tires are not the best choice for winter tires, but they are light years better than 35 series. I understand you want to try this trip, but...with these ultra-low-profile tires, a car with a short refueling radius that becomes significantly shorter the worse the winter weather you encounter...you're putting a square peg into a round hole here.
  • Options
    majin_ssj_ericmajin_ssj_eric Member Posts: 49
    Interested to see how much power loss you guys get in the cold? I know anything I have that runs on batteries always loses charge faster in the cold so I assume the Tesla would be the same, right?