Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Tesla

image2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Screen contrast in the long-term 2013 Tesla Model S

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kardaxkardax Member Posts: 8
    Wow, this article's been sitting on the shelf for a while. 14,000 miles versus yesterday's with 18,000.

As for the topic at hand, weak black levels are depressingly common on LCD panels at all but the highest price points...
  • Options
    nintendomaniacnintendomaniac Member Posts: 5
    This is actually something I noticed early on before the car was even "fully released", but I'm also OCD about black levels (I still use a Trinitron CRT as my PC monitor!).

I would thought that, considering the premium target market, Tesla would have gone for OLED for the displays. Perhaps at the time of manufacturing OLED was still too expensive even for Tesla? Alternatively, because the screen is ALWAYS on while driving, any persistence and long-term lifetime issues would definitely make themselves known.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    This would be really distracting at night.
  • Options
    stoneymonsterstoneymonster Member Posts: 28
    duck87-

That photo seriously overstates the problem. It's fine at night, really.
  • Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    @stoneymonster: Sure. Doesn't mean it can't be improved. But since this is Tesla, it's perfect out of the box, right?