Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

The 2.0 liter TSI engine in our Beetle is a great engine, but if it were my money, I'd choose the Beetle TDI.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rjettrjett Member Posts: 24
    I would completely agree with you IF the TDI had more power. 140 HP is just too low for my taste. But that's just my opinion.
  • matt_amatt_a Member Posts: 2
    I would choose the TDI hands down. It may only make 140hp, but it makes 236 ft-lbs of torque. That more than makes up for the lower hp figure. It really isn't much slower than the 2.0T, and the fuel economy bump is definitely worth it.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I have a GTI and I've driven a Jetta with the TDI. It's way slower than my car. It's tough to say what engine I would get in a Beetle, because I really can't see getting a Beetle.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Fender edition turbo, no question. It doesn't help that in my area diesel is consistently $0.40/gallon more than premium unleaded.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• alex_e_alex_e_ Member Posts: 1
    Glad you posted this - I am looking at a number of replacement options for my 2008 Mini Clubman (non-S). Aside from another Mini, I was considering the VW options (GLI, GTI, and Beetle). I like the idea of a TDI Beetle, for the robustness of the engines (don't diesels last longer generally), and the efficiency. I agree about the xenons - sad that they aren't even an option on the TDI.