Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Volkswagen Golf GTD First Drive

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2015 Volkswagen Golf GTD First Drive

Is there really such a thing as a diesel-powered performance hatchback? We got behind the wheel of the upcoming 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTD to find out.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• dpaekdpaek Member Posts: 0
    I have a 2010 GTI and love the flat steering wheel. I love the thickness on the bottom before it flattens out and it feels great as you rotate the steering wheel and it rotates back through your fingers. I love resting my hand on the flat part of it during long distance driving on the highway. Plus, it looks cool.
  • piredonpiredon Member Posts: 50
    BMW 328d is probably your competition. Similar performance, BMW will have better mileage ratings. Obviously there is a price difference, but I doubt they can sell the GTD here for much less than $30k. Base golf diesel has the same price as a GTI, $6,000 more than a base Golf.

Big fan of diesel in general, myself. Just wish they brought diesel taxes in line with gas taxes (.06 more per gallon Federal tax).
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    Like!!!
  • compressorcompressor Member Posts: 0
    When I am in the wrong gear on a MT equipped car, I blame myself.
    When I am in the wrong gear or get a shift I don't want in a AT equipped car, I get mad at equipment that I paid for that failed to meet its design goal.

That is a big difference and why I almost always prefer a MT. I can take my shortcoming. The shortcomings of technology are extremely frustrating.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    The GTI is quicker and at this point, will probably have a ton of low-end rpm too with improvements to its turbocharged engine. On top of that it will be lighter. With the cost of fuel offset by the price premium over the GTI... why would you get this over the GTI?
    @cotak: Which Toronto highways are those? The Don Valley Parking lot? The 80 km/h highway 401 through the GTA? The 400 or 404? You can make it in Toronto with a piddling 100hp engine, not sure why you would actually need more than that??
  • compressorcompressor Member Posts: 0
    duck87 - technically nobody in North America (or the world) needs and engine with more than 50 hp. THat doesn't mean it is enjoyable, nor does it negate the safety benefit of having power reserves.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "That's pretty good mileage for a car that's barely half a second behind the GTI in a straight line and equally capable everywhere else." The MkVII GTI has had a substantial horsepower boost and a huge torque boost over the MkVI, which you are for some reason comparing it to. VW's own figures have the new GTI at 6.4 seconds and the GTD at 7.5. That's not a half-second. But then, this is Ed Hellwig we're talking about here.
  • cotakcotak Member Posts: 89
    This engine is required for the rest of their diesel line up. After all Mazda now has a 170hp turbo 2.0 diesel as well and the 140 unit in the Passat was always a head scratcher (do you guys get that in the US?) with a 10+ second to 62 time. Sure 1500 km range enough for snow birds to drive down to forida almost on 1 tank but you'll feel like a sitting duck on Toronto highways.
  • darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I drove a previous gen Golf GTD on a trip overseas two years ago. It's a fun little car with great performance and fuel economy. I'd definitely consider buying one for myself in the US *IF* the fuel savings can offset the higher purchase price. I don't know that they will....
  • ctdimanctdiman Member Posts: 1
    In the UK the new GTD is priced at £1200 LESS then the GTi and as a company car is cheaper to run due to co2 taxes etc plus the fact that diesel here is £1.40 per litre. This is why the 320d is popular also.
    The price for the 320d is £2000 ($3000) more than the 320i but about £1000 ($1500) cheaper then the 328i. the 335i is well over £4000 more. Yet in the USA the 320d (your 328d) is nearly $2000 MORE then the 328i ! Obviously there are tax differences but selling the car for $3000 more in the usa seems bizarre particularly as fuel there is so much cheaper. Surely it cant cost that to convert it to us emissions seems like a price gouge
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    Time to lose the Plaid seats, or at least make them a no cost option or a choice.
  • themandarinthemandarin Member Posts: 436
    Looks like a mini Ferrari Testarossa with those strakes!
    @ctdiman: Nope, US emissions equipment is extremely expensive- for many manufacturers they add about $3000 or so to the price of the car. For some engines that require Urea injection- that system alone adds something like $500 to the car.
  • shatnershatner Member Posts: 176
    People really like those plaid seats? I thought they looked stupid 25 years ago when I looked at GTIs.
  • puffin1_puffin1_ Member Posts: 7
    will the 6 speed golf ever appear. I doubt it. VW Dub u goofed up.