Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Here's our latest economy update for our long-term the 2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI. We logged our first 700-mile tank in August.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Impressive. Most impressive.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    Ok, so here's my thought. You guys generally average around the "combined" mpg rating with your long term vehicles. The fact that your Passat's lifetime average is 37.7 suggests that its true "combined" rating should be more like 38 mpg, with maybe a city rating of 30 and highway of 45.
  • rmhpmirmhpmi Member Posts: 37
    This is such an awesome freeway ride. I only wish I was able to trust the long-term reliability of VW products. Fool me once...
  • seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93
    Yeah rmhpmi, that long term reliability thing is a real problem. My 2006 TDI Jetta is practically falling apart, why it needed replacement brake pads at only 151,000 miles. Now that it's at 200,000 miles I just know something else is bound to go wrong any day now. They aren't making buggy A4 Jettas and B5 Passats anymore, I'm not worried about current VW model reliability, with the possible exception of Toureg, the Slovakian plant still doesn't have the greatest track record.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    My 2010 Jetta TDI has 105,000 miles and so far I've had to change the oil, a couple filters, and I've had to replace one exhaust pressure sensor. All while getting 40+ mpg average on almost every tank.
  • rwatsonrwatson Member Posts: 144
    My 06 GLI has had 5 AC compressors, 2 diverter valves, I can't remember how many PCV valves blew resulting in a lot of intake coking, A headliner at 2 years old with all the hardware for it either broken or corroded (which I was blamed for by the VW dealership. It took the owner to smooth it over with me to save someone's life that day) 2 brake calipers frozen at 4 years old and an engine mount broken when 2 months old. It's my 5th VW and my last. The Mexico plant seems to be getting even worse and I can only imagine what the Golf will be like now.
  • hoppysporthoppysport Member Posts: 1
    Simply a great test! I am seriously considering buying a 2014 Passat TDI Premium...but I live in Manhattan and about 80% of my driving is in the city. It's really torture driving here, and I have a couple of concerns with the Passat:

1. How is the DSG transmission in stop and go driving?

2. Can you do a mileage update that is solely city driving, in stop and go situations?

3. Thoughts on the DSG reliability, life, and potential repair costs?
  • ralfvandersluiralfvanderslui Member Posts: 3
    @ hoppysport, I get in the low-30s with my TDI SE manual. I test drove the DSG and could not stand it. I also found the premium seats to narrowly bolstered and preferred the non-premium seats, at 6'2'' and 240lbs I get a bit more shifting room in the non-
  • ralfvandersluiralfvanderslui Member Posts: 3
    I have a 57 miles daily commute. The first 8 miles are back roads to the motorway. A couple of lights and a roundabout, takes about 13m, and the miilage is typically 39-41mph. I then hit the motorway.A hilly drive, mostly uphill. I drive between 65 in traffic, 85-89 where possible with my V1 at attention. Rarely over 90. I get about 42mpg into work, on the way back I get as high as 45, sometimes 47, if there is more traffic and I have to go a bit slower. With the chillier weather of the last few days there seems to be a bit of a drop off. Too early to tell. FWIW and all that, but overall I am very pleased. I don't baby this car. Stoppng for fuel every 5-6 days beats every 2 1/2-3 days.
    Oh, and one more for hoppysport: I could not stand the DSG. I would wholeheartedly recommend against it. The Diesel engine goes MUCH better with the manual.