Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

The 2013 VW Passat TDI's styling looks classic and should hold up well.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    This has been a hallmark of VW for some time. Some people call it boring, but I'm with you, I say handsome and built to stand the test of time. My recently sold MkIV Jetta had the same kind of style. Not flashy, but a 12 year old Jetta still has a great shape, understated and handsome. I suspect that 12 years after it's initial release we won't feel the same about say, the current Sonata.
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    It is hard to get excited about when looking at cars but it does help avoid the "ohh, that's the old one" impression once the bold cars are replaced by a newer style of the same car.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    Another example: Honda Accord. An anti-example: The Hyundai Sonata.
  • smrtypants44smrtypants44 Member Posts: 25
    The perfect example of this: Cadillac CTS and SRX
  • noburgersnoburgers Member Posts: 500
    totally agree with the Sonata design as an example of what probably will not age gracefully. Funny that I don't exactly think of the current Optima that way--I see it as having cleaner lines and less fussy. The previous gen Sonata was more along the lines of the Passat, plain and understated. The prev gen Optima was even more boring than the Sonata, though. I remember an Inside Line article calling it the car most likely to be driven by undercover cops.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I think all you can do is like how a car looks now. You never know what styling will stand the test of time. Original Taurus, Yes. Ovoid Taurus, No. The Passat has always been a decent looking car and older versions have aged well. The current Sonata is not aging well. The current Camry is trying too hard to fix the problems from the last version. The Accord will age well but is not especially good looking. The Fusion and Mazda6 are best in class right now but hard to say how they will age.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Looking at mine, similar color to your vehicle, the lines remind me of a mid-late 80s Audi 5000. No big surprise but to me, anyway, that's a good thing. I still consider the '84 I owned one of the better looking vehicles I have owned. This diesel is also a lot quicker than that old 5-cylinder.