Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2015 in Volkswagen
image2013 Volkswagen Passat TDI Long-Term Road Test

It's very unlikely one tank of B20 Biodiesel would have harmed our 2013 VW Passat TDI. However, constant use may ultimately contaminate the engine oil which would lead to engine wear and eventual failure.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    And here I always thought that you could run a diesel on used cooking oil with no ill effects. I believe you guys ran an extended biodiesel test on your 2011 Jetta TDI, using at least B20, and possibly higher concentrations, with no damage to the engine noted. Isn't that the same engine as in the Passat?
  • Options
    hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    Very miss leading on the biodiesel claim especial since so few people actually bother to read the owners manual.
  • Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    "No ill effects" isn't quite true. It will run, and run well, but there can be long-term ill effects IF the vehicle isn't set up for it. Chief among them is bio's purported ability to wash the cylinder surface and get past the crankcase, thereby contaminating the oil. Special oil formulations and/or shorter oil change intervals can counteract this. It's not insurmountable. In fact our new Ram 1500 Ecodiesel CAN run on B20 per the owner's manual with no warranty implications, but Volkswagen will only go as far as B5, which is but one example of how the signage on the Propel B20 pump is absolutely misleading.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    But I have a plan...

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• Options
    kirkhilles_kirkhilles_ Member Posts: 151
    Yeah, I'm VERY surprised at that sign. I foresee a class action lawsuit when drivers fill up using that every tank and eventually run into engine problems.
  • Options
    markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    What was the price of the bio vs. the regular diesel per gallon?
  • Options
    12vdiesel12vdiesel Member Posts: 1
    Every VW that I have worked on that ran biodiesel has developed a fuel injection pump leak. Is destroys the seals. I wouldn't run it in a VW diesel at all.
  • Options
    ballintrillickballintrillick Member Posts: 1
    Just one full tank of Propel fuel from 735 W Capitol Expy, San Jose, CA took out my injector pump seals...looking at an $1850 repair bill - Vehicle is a Jetta TDI with approx 86,000 miles now that was an expensive tank of fuel!