Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2012 Volkswagen Beetle Long Term Road Test

The 2012 Volkswagen Beetle looks like such a different animal than the VW GTI, but honestly, the 2.0 TSI engine is the best thing each car has going for it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I know that the 20V 1.8T in my '04 Jetta is a different engine and not just a smaller version of the current 2.0, but it is a fantastic engine.

I have owned over 25 cars including a 2nd gen CRX, an '87 5.0 Mustang, a big block Chrysler, and a V8 Taurus SHO. The VW engine is easily my 2nd favorite after the 5.0. It rev's smooth, sound great, has lots of mid range torque, and gets good gas mileage. I would love to find a way to install one in my MG.

When it's time for a new car I wouldn't hesitate to look at VW or an Audi with the 2.0T in it.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    I've always liked the 2.0T from a driver's perspective, but hate that it sounds like crap. I don't think I've ever encountered a smoother, more responsive 4-cylinder in my life, but it has all the aural appeal of an old Mercedes diesel. The GTI is okay from inside because of the intake resonator tube, but roll those windows down and you're treated to total blah.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Wow - there are a lot of people who really don't agree with your assessment of the sound, mercedesfan. FYI model year 2010 was the only one with the resonator tube on the GTI. From '11 on it had the Soundaktor active-type device. Some guys don't like that and disconnect it, but I think it sounds fine...and overall the sound of my '11 GTI is one of the things I really love about it. The other half of the equation is that from 203/214 wheel horsepower, the numbers go to 230/265 with nothing more than a $600 reflash from a variety of reputable vendors, with no undesirable side effects, either. VW still has a couple of tricks up its sleeve that other manufacturers don't know about with this kind of engine, and it shows.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    I am going to try and replace my commuter this year with something more exciting, and my top two choices are the Focus ST and the GTI. I haven't yet driven either, so I'd like your opinion, Erin. On paper, the Focus looks like the clear winner, but is it really? What makes the GTI better? Which one would you spend your $25-30k on?
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @fordson1,

I guess I should qualify my prior statement with the fact that I have yet to find a 4-cylinder that I think actually sounds good. The 2.0T is certainly one of the better offerings, but it still sounds like little more than an angry bee-hive un
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Well, yes - of course a V8 Mercedes sounds better than a GTI - it IS better. I mean, it's so much more expensive it MUST be better...?
  • stovt001_stovt001_ Member Posts: 799
    I like the engine too. Not particularly romantic or exciting, but way more pull at all engine speeds than the numbers would suggest. Very drivable in all conditions.
  • gilchygilchy Member Posts: 8
    Sound can also be attributed to direct injection, has that rattle. All around, it's the best 4-banger I've driven.