Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI is another sign that we are getting more car for our money these days.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    In conclusion the price of oranges in 1980 was different than the price of apples today.
  • vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    I am extremely surprised to hear this. My 2012 VW Passat does not feel like a European car. Certainly nothing like an S-class. The ride is extremely underdamped, the steering is just OK, the front wheel drive dynamics are very apparent. It is no Mercedes for sure. Maybe someone who is used to Asian cars would be impressed. I am used to European cars and this car is not it.
  • shindig4shindig4 Member Posts: 0
    In contrast to vvk, I would say my 2013 Passat definitely reminds me of a late 80s - early 90s era Mercedes. I've owned a couple of this era Mercedes, and the overall size along with the interior and exterior styling of the Passat definitely struck a chord with me. Of course the driving characteristics aren't there -- the Passat is front-wheel drive, and it isn't as buttery smooth as a 3.0 liter inline six from a W124. But the spirit is definitely there.
  • duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649
    If by "character", you mean "worse than an Accord", then I'm right there with you. It's amazing how the newest crop of cars have put the Passat far behind, as when it was new it won many accolades. But now I feel that the Fusion has a more European ride quality, and the Accord is the best blend of all driving and utility characteristics.
  • sdegenn2_sdegenn2_ Member Posts: 2
    Agree with vvk. I test drove a 2014 Passat and found it lacked charm or elegance in detail. The CC, which used to be a platform-mate, feels MUCH more Germanic. This car feels dull and lifeless in comparison, though competent.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    Style-wise I think the comparison is apt. The concept of restraint and simple lines leading to a look which wont look dated in five years seems to have been abandoned by many automakers. Many call the Passat boring, but I appreciate the simple and to me timeless lines of the car, inside and out.

I think everybody gets that this is the "Americanized" Passat in terms of driving dynamics. I still do detect some european feel, though not surprisingly more Audi than MB, and mine replaces a BMW. Still, if you think this is soft, check out a Camry. I haven't driven a '14, but every Accord I have know has had road noise issues which would be a game-breaker for me. Also, the styling of the Accord, inside and out, has been all over the board for years. I like the Fusion, it is built to have the most "European" i.e. firm ride, and I like the look now, but I wonder how it will age. I don't have to wonder with the Passat, and neither do the three other six-footers and all the luggage they could want, who fit better in this car than anything other than an S-Class or a large SUV.