Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

Comments

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    "As a minor defense of the Passat, I will say that this is something that affects us more than it does the typical TDI owner. If you drive the car all the time, you naturally get used to the extra braking and subconsciously ease off the brakes to equal it all out." And finally the penny drops for Edmunds - an owner will quickly adjust for it. And I'm pretty sure it's not downshifting into first at 15 mph.
  • expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    One of my few issues with my Passat so far, as well as the significant movement in the car to catch in park, if you don't set the hand brake. I'm surprised you think it's first or second, because it feels to me like the car goes from in gear to free-wheeling, out of gear, because suddenly it takes so much less braking to stop. I do worry about warping the brake pads, but over time its a matter of modulating the pedal. However, if its not the only car you drive, this, and setting the parking brake, are slight annoyances. Interesting that our other car, a 2012 EOS 2.0 turbo with DSG, doesn't have the braking issue (It does have the parking brake issue)
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    Setting the parking brake is not an annoyance, it is a requirement in all vehicles.
  • tdibilltdibill Member Posts: 8
    This relationship between the brake pedal and transmission can also be observed by checking the tach. I don't know what the software program looks like, but depending on braking conditions (slope, speed etc.) the transmission will down shift at higher speeds. I use the manual selection on occasions to almost eliminate the need for the pedal and it doesn't seem to effect gas milage. I am surprised at the overall lack of reviewers comments concerning the use of the dual hydraulic clutch manual shift function. I am willing to bet there are some out there that don't know it exists.
  • tdibilltdibill Member Posts: 8
    Agree with eh above. There is excessive roll in park if one should 'forget' to set the parking brake. The dealer informed me that this is as an idiosyncracy of the DHC.