Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• x5box5bo Member Posts: 3
    Cisco 4440: My dealer ordered my X5 3.0 on January 23. He immediately faxed me a summary of the order with the Production Number. I was able to go to the BMW website and confirm that the vehicle was ordered. The X5 was estimated to be built in February, with an April 1 delivery. I see on the web that it is already completed and en route to the preparation center.
    I became obsessed with trying to match a deal that I made in L.A. (four hours away). I called at least 10 dealers in California. Most were unwilling to reduce MSRP, some up to $1000. I have been told that BMW increased the invoice price to the dealers January 1, with no change in MSRP. It really changed their attitudes about dealing.
    I would suggest to standc that he call dealers in the Central Valley of California (Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield.) Your X5 is probably out there! You should be able to purchase your X5 for about 2% under MSRP (this was my local dealer's "internet price.")
  • standcstandc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the pricing information. I wouldn't mind paying MSRP for this great car but I don't want to be ripped off by the dealers when everyone is getting a 2% off MSRP. I've called almost every dealer in the bay area but no one is willing to come off MSRP. I'll try the central valley ones. Thanks!

Hopefully I'll be able to join this discussion as a proud X5 owner very soon!
  • surfer8surfer8 Member Posts: 2
    I'm picking up my car next week. Here's what I'm getting - 4.4, premium, sport, rear climate and cold weather packages and Xenon headlights. MSRP is $56,345. Negotiated sale price is $55,145 ($1200 off the sticker). I'm leasing it for 36 months. The money factory is 0.00235 and the residual is 61.0% for 15,000 miles per year. That makes the payment $787.42 or $852.39 with tax. I think I got a good deal. How does that sound to you guys?
  • peterd320peterd320 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the feedback, today I signed the papers on a 02, X5 3.0i, auto, premium, rear climate, sport, xenon & mats. Negotiations were a little tense, but pleasent, dealers don't want to come down too much off the MSRP. I was able to get about 2.2% off MSRP, I ended at Prestige in northern NJ, I had a little better deal at another dealer, but was not familiar with their service, and did not want to take a chance over a few dollars. Sales lady was very pleasent had a tour of their facility and it sold me. Considering the comments on previous post, I feel I had a very good deal.
    Cisco4440 and jagzbimmer thanks for your feedback, it helped. It was a great day, sun was out and it hit 60 degrees, now the wait begins, but from what I have heard from the postings and current owners, it will be worth it.
    Happy X5 Motoring, peterd.
  • cisco4440cisco4440 Member Posts: 10
    on the X5 purchase. Are you going for the Performance Center Pickup Delivery option in Spartenburg SC?
  • donelonpcdonelonpc Member Posts: 8
    I just leased a 2002 X5 3.0i with the premium package and auto. I really wanted one with a sport package but they were hard to find. The ones that did have them were loaded to the tilt. I was really wanting the bigger 18" wheels.

The dealership upgrade to 18" wheels and tires will cost about $2400. This is after getting the $400 credit for my 17" wheels. Ouch.

I found an ebay posting for 18" wheels and tires right off a new X5 4.4i. This guy bought new and upgraded to 19" wheels. So, he is unloading his 18" wheels and tires. Current bid is around $501 but it has not met the reserve requirement. If I decide to upgrade, I will chase after these wheels and then decide how to unload my new 17" wheels and tires. Not much of a market for these.

At any rate, my question is whether I should bother going to the 18" wheels. Has anyone upgraded to this tire size, if so, what benefits have you noticed other than looks?
    Thanks, I'm thinking about the Performance Center Delivery Pick-up, I read about it and I like it. Trying to figure a way to fit it into our schedule, my work, wife's work and kids.
    Donelonpc: From your experience as far as upgrading, now you know why it pays to take the sport pkg. Dealer wants 2,400 for wheels / tires vs 2,100 for pkg. with all the other goodies. I had the same problem when I bought my 2000 Benz E320, did not like the wheels (16"), dealer wanted around 2,500 for 17" wheels / tires, last year I found a OE set (17") on E Bay with less than 100 miles on the tires, bid started at 600 ended paying about 900, still better than dealer, when I received the set, they were like brand new. Goodluck and enjoy the X5.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Anyone gotten Steel Grey and if so, what interior seems to go best (besides black). SG seems to have different looks based on lighting, but seems to fit the X5 body lines well.
  • legran22legran22 Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to purchase an X5 4.4 with the above referenced equipment and have run into two issues that I would like comment on. 1.The 745's tying up 4.4 engine production and I will need to order it. and 2. BMW has gone to "no haggle" pricing and I will pay near list price (approx. $56k in this case). Also I am exploring the 36 month Buyer Option walkaway financing option. Would appreciate comments on all? Thanks.
  • bdonelonbdonelon Member Posts: 7
    I think that if you go with leather, get the saddle color. It looks sharp. I saw one at the dealer where I got mine. Otherwise, you are limited to black in leatherette.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've noticed a shortage of 4.4 X5's in my area too. Although no shortage of 745's, I don't think people are warming up to the new 7. A couple months ago when I bought my X I inquired about a 745 and was told there was "at least a 6 month waiting list" The first 7's hit this dealership about a month ago and I saw 7 or 8 unsold 7's on their back lot yesterday - not counting the 2 or 3 I saw up front in demo use.

I thought I wanted a 4.4i when I decided on the X but was suprised by the spunk of the 3.0. I went with a fully loaded 3.0 and have no regrets - the 3.0 is an excellent engine.
  • joey2002joey2002 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking about buying an X5 3.0 for my wife.
    Has anyone had any success faxing an offer into the sales manager of a BMW dealership offering close to dealer "invoice" cost? It seems to me that since the car will need to be ordered they won't need to worry about carrying the inventory and all the costs associated with it on their lot.
    I would appreciate feedback, positive or negative on buying an X5 without the need to actually go to a BMW dealer. I test drove the X5, liked it but HATED being "sized-up" by the salesperson.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    BMW dealers only get so many X5s to sell each month and they're selling all they've got (from what I've gathered). Why should he sell it to you for next to nothing when there's a line out the door of people willing to pay more? Two quick ways to find out the going rate are 1) Edmunds TMV and carsdirect.com. I actually bought mine going thru carsdirect (who routed me to a local dealer). I communicated with the dealership thru email until the date of purchase so I never got "sized-up". Truly painless, and since I was still buying thru the dealership I got the BMW loaners, free car washes, free floor mats and a few $s off MSRP.
  • jkodakjkodak Member Posts: 1
    Leased an X5 3.0i on Saturday. Steel Gray with dark popular wood, gray leather interior and manual transmission. Options: Premium Package. The numbers...MSRP $43,594 including BMW Mats. Discount $1,688.00 (3.87% off of MSRP). Selling Price $41,906.00. Monthly Lease is $528.58 which includes 9% PA sales tax for 39 months at 15K miles per year. Lease numbers are: Out of Pocket $4,198.83 includes 1st payment, $2,600 Cap Reduction, $625.00 Acq. Fee, $234 PA Sales Tax on Cap Reduction Amount and $211.25 tags & fees. No security deposit since this is my 4th lease with BMW Finance. Residual set at 61% of MSRP with a money factor of .00238 (5.71% APR).
  • needx5adviceneedx5advice Member Posts: 1
    Why would you lease as oppose to purchasing the car outright?
  • legran22legran22 Member Posts: 6
    The 3.0 certainly would save money on the initial purchase costs and operating costs as well, but I am curious if the 3.0 is potent enough to make me forget about the 4.4. Any comments?
  • jmcnallyjmcnally Member Posts: 6
    Does Bmw have a "mid-year" model? I guess what I am really asking is are there changes/fixes made mid-year to correct problems that seem to plague some people and keep Consumer Report's reliability rating of the X5 as poor? Or should I wait and order a '03 X5, knowing that the reliability gets better every year?

In addition are there any interesting options coming in '03?
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    Recently, while my friend was en-route from NY to Florida his 2001 X5 3.0's tranny failed. I understand the X5's transmission is manufactured by GM, and is the same as the Cadillac CTS line...

Anyone else experience this rather bizarre problem?
  • sjbettesjbette Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone brought an 2002 X5 3.0 in Northern California lately? If so, which dealer and how was the experience? Also, was the price pretty good? Any deals? I would appreciate any bargaining tips.
  • qbbeeqbbee Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the X5 and am interested in what anyone knows about resale. Also, does the GPS system really make a difference in resale? And if you get the GPS, how inconvenient is the CD player in the back?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Not much in the way of deals up your way, I'm afraid. Just contact a few dealers by email and see what they have.
    No deals to be had in Florida either - X5's are MSRP take it or leave it. the 3.8% off MSRP qouted above I'm sure was due to the manual transmission. Manual transmission X5's are rare and hard for a dealer to sell. X5's that are typically equipped - Auto Transmission, Premium, Climate, Xenon, etc. fly off the lots at MSRP.

Legran - Take a 3.0 X5 for a thorough test drive and see what you think. I did and found that the 3.0 has excellent performance, not underpowered at all. The 3.0 is an excellent engine, very smooth and powerful - this is the same engine every test report raves about in whatever BMW it's in - 330i, 530i, etc..

Not a single problem with my X5 at the close to 10k mile mark.
  • ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    Most of the sport utility sales volumn can be found in the URL: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolsu.asp

However X5 is not listed there, does anyone have the info about X5 sales volume?

I ran my '01 X5 w/ nav thru Edmunds TMV calculator and the nav seemed to be worth $1500. I didn't buy it for resale value tho'. I bought it because it a) integrates a lot of features into the display (such as aux. ventilation) b) is extremely useful on unfamiliar streets and c) looks good. BTW mine's the small screen -- can't decide if the big ones look good up there although they're certainly more useful with the split screen feature.

I have the 6 disc changer in back and it's certainly not as convenient as an in-dash unit but I generally go a week before I swap in some new music. Plus I burn a lot of mixes and that gives me satisfactory variety. Hope this helps.
    I don't have an url but here goes...
    For 02/02 the 3, 4.4, and 4.6 are: 2609, 517, 65.
    For 02/01 3, 4.4 are: 1955, 918.
    YTD 02 = 6336, 01 = 5902.

I keep hearing 4.4s are down due to production cuts (perhaps need the engine in other vehicles). Overall sales are up almost 10% feb 02 vs. feb 01.
  • cb44cb44 Member Posts: 87
    Can anyone gve me their leasing money factor on a BMWFS lease in February (or any new rate quotes for March). Thanks.
    On Saturday I picked up my X5 3.0, steel gray, gray leather, AT, premium, climate, xenon. I did not want the sport package, and I am very happy with the standard suspension. It was ordered by the dealer, and arrived in L.A. 35 days after the order went in! I spoke with at least 10 dealerships in California (and Nevada), and was unable to beat this deal (about $1300 off MSRP.) It was worth my while to drive three hours to L.A. Most dealers wanted close to sticker. My dealer was unable to get the X5 I wanted without building it, since other dealers weren't willing to trade.
    My expectations have been more than exceeded. This vehicle is a 10! The treatment I received at the dealership was superb. The manager oriented me to the features of the vehicle for over an hour, including a test drive.
    I highly recommend talking with John Jack (a delightful Scot from Glasgow) at Nick Alexander Imports in Los Angeles. He is the Fleet Manager (1-800-900-NICK.) Good luck to anyone in California that is ready for the X5!
    Sorry...their number is 1-800-800-NICK.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    March 17 Pine Barrens Monthly Trail Ride

Info on a gently off-road experience in the Pine Barrens of Central/Southern NJ. Come on out for a day of adventure, fun, and comradre with fellow SUV/Off-road/Rally/Car Nuts! Info at http://isuzu-suvs.com/events

-mike

• 3lakeswi3lakeswi Member Posts: 77
    My wife and I have seriously been considering a BMW X5 3.0 with the Sport Package. That was until I got the new Car and Driver yesterday and read the long term test on the 4.4 they did. With less than 30,000 miles on the odometer the car had already had not less than 5 or 6 problems that required trips to the dealer! Is this a typical ownership experience?

We would be located about 2.5 hours from our nearest BMW service center and that many problems in the first 1-2 years of ownership is just not satisfactory for a $40-50,000+ SUV.

Also, does anyone out here have a 3.0 with the manual transmission? How would you describe the power and acceleration? Adequate I presume but not much more?
  • tan7tan7 Member Posts: 5
    thinking of purchasing bmw x5 v6 any suggestion?Any comment about the car? I just want a good deal before i get one.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    The new SUV from Porsche will rival both the BMW X5 4.6 and the Range Rover!!! Incredible. What do you BMW fans think. Only drawback base probably around $70K, 450hp turbo model close to $100K.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/joeauto/php3/openframe.php3?page=newnews/newsarticle.php3?id=4266

C & Ds # of dealer visits sounds typical. I myself went 3 times in the 1st year -- all for the same problem (undercarriage squeaking). Why all the trips? 1) diagnose problem, no parts 2) parts arrive, attempt fix, doesn't work, discover real problem and 3) fix real problem.

Now that sort of thing can happen to any car regardless of make. But I'd rather be close enough to make in convenient.
    I am in the market for an X5 and I will definitely try to give them a call.
  • kpflegerkpfleger Member Posts: 14
    I've made a new FAQ of BMW X5 common problems available at the following 2 URLs (page should be the same in both places):

FAQ of common X5 problems

FAQ of common X5 problems (alternate copy)

Hopefully it'll be helpful to someone. Feel free to point people at it.

-Karl

• mrr60mrr60 Member Posts: 11
    Excellent summary of X5 problems. Anyone considering an X5 should consider this required reading. I guess I'm lucky in that I havn't had any major problems except for the following:
    1. Fan recall(warranty)
    2. condensation in headlight cluster after going thru carwash(replaced under warranty)
    3. current problem-left front inner fendrwell liner came loose, rubbed against tire and basically
    wore it away. Part is in and am going next week to have it put in. Not covered under warranty
    but I'm working on it.
    4. Steering wheel sometimes dosn't go where it's supposed to after starting the car and must be
    manually adjusted.
    Overall I'm quite happy with the vehicle though. Fun to drive. (3.0 with sport).
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Sales volume of X5 for model year 2001 - 40,622 most were 3.0's.

We've had our X5 for 17 months and 17K miles with only 1 problem. The steering wheel doesn't alway adjust as it should. There is some peeling on the handle grips. Will take it to the dealer and have them replaced. Cheap covering on the grips as C/D stated. Fun car, great handling, not an excess amount of room for storage. Great pick up. 3.0 engine rated as one of Ward's top 10 engines.
    Porsche SUV compares on paper quite well to the X5. But VW is coming out with basically the same SUV for less $$ and Porsche probably will not offer a full maintenence warranty similar to BMW. Also if Porsche's service on their V8 cost as much as it does for the rest of their cars, I don't think Porsche will knock BMW of the mark. Plus BMW has had 3 years to work out the bugs, this will be Porsche's 1st year. Other than that, it will probably be a good effort by Porsche.
    I can't speak to C/D's experience but remember BMW said the X5 is an SAV, emphasis on sport not utility. If you need the room, this is not the vehicle. C/D's conclusion is that this is still by far the best looking and most fun SUV to drive on the market. What's equally important to your assessment should be the cost of $458 over 40K miles. Some of the owners will get the brakes right at the 36K mile service and will save that $458.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While I am not a fan of SUVs by any means, I do happen to like the styling of the X5 (Especially the 3.0 with Sport package). There's definitely an empahsis on Sport more than utility, but that's fine by me. I love the fact that you can get a 3.0 with a 5 speed. I'm sure the driving dynamics are pure BMW (as I've never driven an X5). The X5 seems to have great resale value as I've heard from a dealer here in Manhattan that a CPO X5 will sell for $3000-$4000 under the original MSRP! That's pretty impressive! The X5 is expensive, but BMW didn't make it expensive just because they could. I've read that the Chassis and Platform are extremely expensive to produce and they're working on reducing those costs (without quality suffering) for the next generation X5. About a year and a half ago my Dad almost got into an X5 3.0, but there wasn't enough room in it for the 2 Great Danes he takes to work with him every day. Mercedes may have done the German SUV 1st, but BMW did it right. Mercedes wanted to make an SUV at a price point, which they were successful at doing. They got many first time brand buyers who were upset a year later when their cars developed numerous quality problems (I know the X5 has had many recalls as well) and have been turned off to the Mercedes brand. If Mercedes had built a true Mercedes price be damned (which they could have due to the fact that Dealers were getting $10,000-$15,000 over sticker the first year and a half), maybe there wouldn't be so many M Classes sitting on dealer lots now while X5s seem to be sold before they arrive.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• p0keyp0key Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to ink a lease this week on an X5 in Northern NJ. Anyone have good luck with a particular dealer here?

What is a reasonable residual percentage and money factor for:

50K sticker price including options
    36 Months
    12K miles/year

How will 15k Miles/year affect the residual?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Asd far as dealers go in the Norther New Jersey area, I'd give Park Avenue BMW a try. I don't know how much you'll be able to negotiate off MSRP though (anywhere on an X5).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

If you are willing to travel, contact Arlington BMW (Formerly Heishman BMW). You can do this over the phone. Ask for Fred Meloan and see what he can do for you.
    Almost 10k miles on my 2001 X5 3.0 without a single problem. Absolutely fantastic ownership experience so far, I highly recommend the X5.
    When I was doing the shopping for my X5, I had the best price at Hoffman BMW in Bloomfield, NJ, second best came from Prestige BMW in Ramsey, NJ,
    it was only a few hundred dollars, I ended up at Prestige (more convenient for me), in speaking to other owners both Prestige and Hoffman had a good reputation for service. I live a few blocks from Park Ave. BMW and did not feel comfortable when I was trying to negotiate a deal.
    I ended up with a X5 3.0i, titanium Silver/Gray, Premium, Rear Climate, Sport Pkg., Auto Trans., Dark Wood and Xenon Lights. Prestige took off 1,200 off MSRP. Currently the vehicle is in the assembly line, hopefully I'll take delivery about second week in April
    That's a good deal on an X5!

You said you "ended up with" a particular configuration...does that mean it was too late in assembly to pick and choose options, or those are the options you picked? Also, you said you "didn't feel comfortable" at Park Ave., why? What put you off? I'm just trying to get a sense of what's going on around the country with respect to pricing. Thanks.
    When I said I ended up, I meant, I ended up buying at Prestige, sorry for any confusion, I was able to place an order Feb, 16 and the options I listed were the options I wanted, as of today, the vehicle has been completed.
    When I was doing the shopping, I checked with six different dealers, the best was Hoffman (1,400 off), Prestige (1,200 off), Wide World of Cars (1,000 off), Park Ave (920 off) Paul Miller (750 off), and Open Road (600 off).
    At the first three dealers, it was very courteous, I felt they wanted my business, at the other three they made me feel like this is our price, you don't like it, there's the door. I also have a 2000 Benz E320, which I purchase from Prestige MB, the sales experience and especially the service, I'm very satisfied, that's why I picked Prestige.
    When you are buying a high end luxury vehicle, and paying a good dollar for it, I feel that your experience should be nothing but the best, if you feel uncomfortable, walk away. When I started searching for the right dealer, I was able to speak to owners who bought vehicles from the above mention dealers.
    Hope this helps, Good Luck.
    Does anyone getting a good deal in Northern California towards the end of the month?
    Any info is appreciated.
  • p0keyp0key Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information. Perhaps things have changed in the month since you signed your deal. Or, perhaps you are just a better negotiator. Right now all dealers have a take it or leave it attitude which turns me right off. When spending this much money I want to be treated like they want my business.

Here's where I am right now:

Paul Miller = $0 off - I even made two visits and 3 phone calls with no success - will never return again
    Prestige = $500 off via internet sales manager - I couldn't get a price when I visited in person and salesman never returned my follow-up call.
    DeFeo= $500 off via internet sales - $100 off in person
    Wide World = 800 off
    Park Ave = never made it to pricing discussion since I was so turned off by the salesman I walked out.

If I could get to $1200 off I'd probably sign this week.

Perhaps I'll give Hoffman a try. There are others further away, and I'll take a shot at those too.

Thanks for your help.

John