Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited September 2014 in Volkswagen

image2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Volkswagen Passat's large 18.5-gallon gas tank helps drivers reduce fuel stops.

Read the full story here

Tagged:

Comments

• hybrishybris Member Posts: 365
    And yet I still want a bigger gas tank.
    And yet I still want a bigger gas tank.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    OK, I'll bite. Why do you want (need?) a bigger tank. At 27 mpg the current tank gives you 475+ miles with a .5 gallon reserve.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    OK, I'll bite. Why do you want (need?) a bigger tank. At 27 mpg the current tank gives you 475+ miles with a .5 gallon reserve.
  • ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    The 18.5 gallon tanks are pretty awesome. I have a 99 camry, and I can go so far on a tank. Whenever I travel back to my hometown (about 320 miles away), I usually only use about a half a tank, which is extremely useful when you don't want to keep stopping for gas on the way. It's a shame camry's are down to 17 gallon tanks now.
  • ajac03ajac03 Member Posts: 37
    The 18.5 gallon tanks are pretty awesome. I have a 99 camry, and I can go so far on a tank. Whenever I travel back to my hometown (about 320 miles away), I usually only use about a half a tank, which is extremely useful when you don't want to keep stopping for gas on the way. It's a shame camry's are down to 17 gallon tanks now.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @hybris: So make it happen. You can easily find an aluminum fuel cell that'll fit in your trunk. If that's not elegant enough, find an empty space in the undercarriage for it, or get one fitted to the spare tire space in the trunk. Tying it into your orig
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    @hybris: So make it happen. You can easily find an aluminum fuel cell that'll fit in your trunk. If that's not elegant enough, find an empty space in the undercarriage for it, or get one fitted to the spare tire space in the trunk. Tying it into your orig
    I originally meant that as a joke and the only vehicles that I would even seriously consider adding fuel capacity are diesel pickups.
    I originally meant that as a joke and the only vehicles that I would even seriously consider adding fuel capacity are diesel pickups.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    It's a good thing Edmunds decided to do a long term test of this vehicle, because otherwise I might have to stain myself and visit the VW website to learn about fuel tank size.

Long term tests are supposed to reveal things about the vehicle that can't just be gleaned from the company's website and ads.

Any driving impressions? Why exactly do you have this car in your fleet if you aren't going to write anything about it?
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    It's a good thing Edmunds decided to do a long term test of this vehicle, because otherwise I might have to stain myself and visit the VW website to learn about fuel tank size.

Long term tests are supposed to reveal things about the vehicle that can't just be gleaned from the company's website and ads.

Any driving impressions? Why exactly do you have this car in your fleet if you aren't going to write anything about it?