Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I've owned several BMW's and have found dealers don't discount hot selling models and the X5 is among BMW's best sellers. For me, the brain damage of trying to get a deal on a hot selling BMW is not worth a few hundred to a thousand dollars you may get if you shop all the dealers you are mentioning. Consider the time you are spending in trying to get a "deal" of $1k off of a $50k vehicle - is it really worth what you are putting up with?

Go to your nearest BMW dealer - the most convenient one to take it to for service - buy an X5 at or near MSRP and start enjoying it. Most BMW dealers don't give you a service loaner unless you purchased your BMW from them. That for me is enough of an incentive to buy from the nearest dealer to me at MSRP. My time and convenience after the sale is worth a lot to me.
  • p0keyp0key Member Posts: 5
    Rick, the 35 bucks per month for 3 years is worth the time I spend up front to get the car discounted regardless of how "hot" the car is selling. Sometimes I wonder how much of a demand there really is. At 2 dealers after being told that there was 2 month wait they "found" a car when I started out the door. There is a dealer in Northern NJ who had 5 on their lot for sale with no wait. They didn't have my option choices but they were available for immediate purchase. Anyway, I suppose if I didn't want to haggle I could go buy a Saturn.

But you're right in one sense, money isn't the only factor involved. Service and customer experience are important to me also. When a dealer tells me to go buy Lexus if I want a discount, thats a pretty good sign that they don't deserve my business. The one thing I learn from the adventure is how curteous and respnosive the dealer is. I feel it's important that they behave like my business is important to them. If the management is arrogant before the sale, who knows what they'll be like after the sale.

Regarding the loaner program, I'm not too worried as many service organizations would compete for my business after the sale.

John
  • bernard1bernard1 Member Posts: 58
    Don't give up, we got more than 2k off our X5 with no hassle. Cut the deal over the phone and picked up the car when it came in about 2 months later. We have the car serviced at a different dealership with no problems and we get a loaner.

If you want more details email me. Good luck.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    That's great that you have the choice of a dealer that gives loaners to non-customers. Unfortunately the nearest BMW dealer to me doesn't. The next closest BMW dealer to me is 80 miles away. Sometimes I wish I wasn't so hung up on BMW's - I rarely shop other brands like Lexus or Mercedes when I'm in the market for a new car. I was thinking I wanted a new M3 (no discount there) when I decided on the X5 this last time - go figure. I actually did get a $1k discount without asking when I purchased my X5 - I guess it was a repeat customer discount of some sort - who knows? All I know is I was out of there in my new X5 a half hour after I picked it out - as painless as it gets.
    What I really like about this dealership is I can drive anything I want when I stop by to get a detail on occaision - M5, Z8, M3, 745i, or used Porsche Turbo, Mercedes CLK 55 cabrio etc - anything they have on the lot - they just throw me the keys. I'm at the top of the waiting list for a MINI Cooper or Cooper S at the moment - I can pick one up whenever I want, I'm test driving one on Monday - I don't really know what I'd do with it though - I already have an M Coupe I use for fun.
    The M Coupe is a result of one of those "throw the keys at me" days - I probably have sucker written all over me when they see me - oh well.

Good luck in your X5 adventure - I'd be interested in hearing how good a deal you got.
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    When I bought mine back in 1/01 I felt fortunate to knock a few hundred off MSRP. Today, according to Edmund's TMV, I'd have to expect to pay a little more than MSRP, and carsdirect seems to be right at msrp. So what's your experience? When did you buy, where, and how does it compare to edmunds' tmv? If you were able to take one off the lot I'd expect the price to come under tmv, ordering -- dunno. Why am I asking? 'Cuz I think the tmv thing is wrong. Maybe a decent trailing indicator, with carsdirect showing the direction of the trend. Heck, maybe it'll generate some interesting discussion.
  • kittybearkittybear Member Posts: 2
    Have had our X5 for about 2 1/2 mos now, and absolutely love it. One recent problem is that a creaking noise (almost like a bad spring or two pieces of plastic rubbing together) has developed in the rear on the driver's side - can't tell if it is from the tailgate or the frame - only happens at very slow speeds, when we are turning into a driveway or going over a speed bump, etc. Brought it to the dealer - they adjusted and lubricated the gasket around the tailgate, but the noise is still present and getting worse. It drives us nuts!
    I read in a previous (old) discussion of someone having a similar problem. Any ideas? I don't want to keep bringing it in to the dealer and not having them find the problem.
    thanks
    I had a "rusty and defective joint in right rear spindle" that made it sound like a junker in bumpy parking lots. The fix was to press out the old/joint bushing (old, 6 mos old!) and press a new one in.

The creaking noise came from underneath in back. Hope this helps.
  • kittybearkittybear Member Posts: 2
    thanks - I'll make another appt at the dealer and mention it - I will make sure the service manager comes along for a long ride over multiple speed bumps so he can reproduce the noise......
    TMV is pretty good overall. We beat TMV by quite a bit on our X5. On some other models TMV is about right. Ordered our 01 in Aug and picked it up 0ct of 01.
  • hayoob99hayoob99 Member Posts: 1
    I recently took delivery of my new X5. Since I gained so much information reading this news group I thought I would also contribute.

I ordered my X5 3.0 PP, CWP, RCP, Xenon, Auto on March 8 for $1200 off MSRP at BMW of San Francisco. I feel I probably could have gotten another $300 dollars but I really dislike the whole negotiation process and felt that $1200 was reasonable plus they gave me a good price on my trade.

I visited several dealerships in the Bay area and got the impression I could have gotten this same deal anywhere. I visited or called EVERY dealership in the Bay area and could not find an X5 that was even close to what I wanted. I don't think any dealership had more than 2 BMW's in stock.

I was originally told it would be the end of May before my X5 would be available. I was surprised when it arrived on April 2. It was fun to be able to track the production of the vehicle on BMW's web site and it seemed to be pretty accurate with what my salesman told me.

I was very satisfied with my experience at the dealership. However, it is located in a major city so the experience is not the same as buying in a smaller city or suburb. It is very busy and you can wonder around the dealership all day without someone asking if they can help you. However, once you ask to see a sales person they are very helpful.

As I mentioned above, I am not a fan of the negotiation process and found a salesman who recognized that I had done my homework so we pretty much "cut to the chase". This is exactly what I wanted.

Since I have only owned my X5 for 2 days, I can't really comment on it's reliability but everything is great so far.
  • peterd320peterd320 Member Posts: 13
    Congratulations, here in the East Coast, dealers don't want to negotiate too much, you did terrific, not only on the price, but getting a quick delivery. I placed my order back in Feb, 16 and its leaving the factory tomorrow, hopefully I'll get it next week.
  • lfnylfny Member Posts: 2
    I have just ordered an X5 3.0 and I have come across two people in two different states that have had many maintenance issues. Rear hatch unlocking and leaving the interior lights on until the battery is dead. CD player not turning off and draining the batteries, stalling, not starting etc. The vehicle has been towed 6 times in 3000 miles. I am planning to lease the vehicle and it will arrive this week. Now I am wondering if I have made a mistake. I have read mainly very good reviews of this vehicle.

Any comments would help.
    There is no statistical evidence to suggest that the X5 is any more/less reliable than anything else. However there is plenty of annectdotal evidence that says yes, this vehicle is a potentially a gamble. Most of the people I've talked to with problems had '00 or early '01 models...the CD player is a known problem with a TSB.

Did you make a mistake? Based on my own experiences (performing, handling, dealership experiences, reliability of my X5) I'd say "no". No other vehicle offers the ride height/AWD driving performance of an X5. Of course it has less cargo room than a Ford Escape and costs twice as much so it better be an awesome ride, right?
  • ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    To bimmer owners, which car will be your choice when you consider to purchase your next one? go for another brand or still bimmer?
    We have 3 cars and at one time two of them were bimmers and we had no problems. We still have 3 cars but different makes an enjoy each, but differently. I am currently looking at the 745 but would really like to try Audi's S8.

My neighbor has in his car collection 6 bimmers, and he can't get enough.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Since 1983 I've always had at least one bimmer in the family. Right now I have a 318ti Club Sport for my back road burner/track rat, while my wife drives the geezer sled- a 1997 528ia. We considered an A4 or A6 but the Louisville Audi dealer tried to ream us on our trade and their service department has a less than stellar reputation. Don't know what my next one will be, but I really like the M Coupe and the 4.6 is. None of the other new stuff lights my fire...
    the ride feeling for a germany bimmer and a japan lexus is quite different. Bimmer owners, do you consider to own lexus as your next car?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Different strokes for different folks; I just prefer the Teutonic philosophy and feel. That said, I do need and use a SUV with true off-road capability. I chose a 1993 Pathfinder SE.
  • scottw57scottw57 Member Posts: 3
    Just finalized the deal a few minutes ago from United BMW in Atlanta, GA. I'm picking the car up this afternoon.
    This is the deal we receive for everyone's info. This was done over the phone negotiating with 3 different Atlanta dealerships. Two dealership gave me the same deal.(picked the closest to my house). BTW, I never mentioned leasing until the price was agreed upon. Then I focused on money factor and doc fees.

2002 BMW X5 3.0i Steel Grey Metallic with Black leather

MSRP: $45,320 (premium, rear climate, & auto tran)
    Gross Cap Cost: $43,720 (selling price)
    Money Factor: .00238 (5.7%)
    Drive Off: $941.31 (First Pay., Tag, Title, Doc)
    Lease payment $607.47 plus tax
    Lease Term: 36 months
    Residual: $28,551.60 (63%)
    Miles per year: 12K
    We have a LX and an X5, they are very different. Each excels in it's own way. I would certainly consider a Lexus as my next car. Unfortunately I would also consider a Bimmer.

I don't think there is a SUV on the market that is more fun to drive than the X5 or a more luxurious and capable SUV than the LX.
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    Congratulations on the new X5. I thought that BMW is currently offering a money factor of less then 5% on a lease?
  • lfnylfny Member Posts: 2
    I decided to go with the 325xi instead of the X5 3.0 I ordered based on the problems I have heard of from other owners. What is most interesting is the dealer agreed that about 1 out of 10 seem to be real problems and that BMW even has a program that will give money back to owners that have repeated problems with thier cars.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    scottw57: Congrats on the new X5! Beautiful color combo. I do have a few ?s for you. You say you live in Atlanta, is there any reason you chose the X5 over a 530iA (was it a style thing)? I'm just curious (not starting a 5 series vs. X5 debate here).

X5 3.0d seems like a great SUV. CAR magazine (a british publication) just tested an X5 3.0d (diesel) against an M-Class (diesel), a Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel), and a diesel powered Mitsubish SUV (diesel, its the montero here, but not sure what it is called in europe). Even though the X5 cost much more than the other 3, it came out on top. The magazine said the 3.0L diesel (175hp, 305 lb-ft torque) was just as smooth as the 3.0 L gas (petrol) powered I-6. What impressed me the most was the fuel economy: They said mid-high 20's mpg (which is bad for england, but great here). Now granted, when you're buying a $40-66K SUV, you shouldn't be concerned with the price of fuel, but imagine having to stop for for fuel less often.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    BMW's new X5 offers more power -- for more money

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mrbluetoothmrbluetooth Member Posts: 10
    Re msg 573:

lfny,
    Could you elaborate a bit more on BMW's program to refund owners with repeated problems? Is there an official name for this program, or where could we get more information?

Thanks.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    mrbluetooth, it's the lemon law. My colleague bought a X5 3.0 four months ago. He drove and loved it for two months. Then the transmission failed(speed dropped from 65 mph to 35 mph on highway). The dealer couldn't fix it for the next two months. He found a lawyer to get BMW to agree to buy it back. You'll have to contact BMW of North America, not the dealer.
    Thanks albert123. I suspected it was the lemon law, but when lfny stated that "BMW even has a program that will give money back to owners..." I had the impression this "program" was unique to BMW. lfny, if you're there, please chime in.

Albert - does this mean dealing with the lemon law and BMWNA would be fruitless without a lawyer?

Incidentally, I am asking about this for my brother who has a 2001 325i and is having a persistent transmission problem. I have a 2001 X5 3.0 with no major problems so far after a year of ownership and 8k miles. My original post was my first one here but I will contribute more often to this board wherever I can.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    Richard, good to know your X5 is fine. I was turned off (at BMW)when I knew my colleague's problem. Then I realized he just had a bad luck as I know other BMW owners seem to be happy (mostly sedans though).

As for getting a lawyer, I'd say call BMWNA first. If they agree to buy back, you're done. But if not, call some lawyers and see how they think of your case. When my colleague called, the lawyer said he's 99% confident he'll get the money back.

The most unbelievable thing for the BMW dealer was they couldn't even identify the problem and had to call BMW in Germany to find out. And I'm talking about the biggest BMW dealer in the south SF bay!
    Hi x5 owners, can you share your real experience of x5 on ride comfortable, handling, performance, maintenance cost, any vehicle problem happened, etc.. ? Is it much ride difference for a x5 3.0 and 4.4 ? Do you want to recommend your friend to buy a x5?
    I am in the marketing for a x5, probably 3.0, would like to leverage off your experience to make my decision. thanks.
    can someone share your experience/feeling with the X5 Nav system? is it fast in searching, routing, locating? how about compare to other Nav system, like Lexus LX, RX or MDX ?
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    The system is not as good as the Infiniti. It is a plain 2d version. Save the money. =)
    We've had our X5 since 10/00. Ride is comfortable, not as smooth as a RX but more stable. Handle-excellent. Fun-100% Problems-few: The following were fixed at the dealer in one visit - steering wheel tilt feature, squeeking sound from front end (replace bushings) door handles started to peel, sunroof noise. My cost, $38 for 1 oil change at 7500 mi (my option), Breakdowns: NONE
    It's not the best nav system out there but it does alright. The first time I used it was to find a skating rink (my son's school had a party) on a dark, foggy night and I never would've found it without the nav.

Keep in mind that it's more than a nav. Its also the 8 function onboard computer but much easier to read/use. It integrates the cell phone (if you choose that option) and it controls/displays radio/CD/tape unit(s). During hot weather my favorite feature is setting the aux vent timer(s) to run 1/2 hour before I leave work and blow out the air that's been cooking in there all day. Very easy to do this with the nav system.
  • hhunterhhunter Member Posts: 34
    How is the 3.0 in terms of longevity? The best I can do is lease one now and try to get a decent residual so I can purchase it in three years. (I tried to buy a used one now and found the prices out of reach.)
    I do best with cars, like my 90 Eldorado, that is still running well (although not used for 3,000 mile trips). After reading reliability problems here and Consumer Reports, I wonder how the X5 3.0 will do after the 100,000 mile mark.
    I am also interested in the question about nav. The Lexus RX 300 with dvd is easy to use and has detailed maps. How detailed are the cd maps with BMW and how often do they update?
    Thanks.
  • dougmgdougmg Member Posts: 13
    Are there any changes coming for 2003 that would make it a good idea to wait?
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Went with a friend this weekend to look at X5 3.0. This type of vehicle is way out of my price range, but I tagged along as an extra pair of eyes and ears for my friend.

The salesman shows us a beautiful X5 on the showroom floor and tells us all about its features. The model he is showing us has premium package and some other options. It is around $46,000. There is a placard in front of the vehicle that lists the X5 features, etc. It lists a price of $39,545. When I asked the sales guy about a vehicle at this price he says: " That is a base model with vinyl and a 5 speed." Now I have never owned a vehicle like a mercedes or bmw, so I am not disparaging these cars at all, but come on guys, what kind of arrogance is it to ask someone to pay $40,000 of their hard earned money for a car and tell them it has a vinyl interior? Not even the big three american makers use vinyl anymore except on fleet trucks and vans.
    It's true that the leatherette material that comes standard is made of vinyl. Yes, I agree vinyl on a $40k vehicle seems absurd. BMW has been offering this material for a long time on many of their models.

But if you'll look closely at the material, especially a model with black interior, you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference from the true thing. It does not look like the shiny, cheap vinyl offered by some of the other makes - I bet that's what you were thinking :). And, the leatherette is supposed to be more durable. I believe it can be clean simply with soap and water.

I have the leatherette in black on my 3.0i and am glad to have saved the money. So, my suggestion would be to find a dealer that has a leatherette-equipped vehicle (e.g. X5, 3 or 5 series) and see for yourself.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    Don't be so quick to say the BMW leatherette is "cheap." Definitely check it out at the dealer. You'll have the best luck on a 3 series. Many of us on the 3 series board actually prefer leatherette. It lasts longer. It is probably better if you have 2.5 kids and a golden retriever. Many magazines and auto journalists have said the BMW leather actually feels "cheap" and that if it were their cash, they'd go for the leatherette. If I had the money, I'd get the leather, but I almost ordered a 325Ci with leatherette. Audi's leatherette on the A4 1.8T models is nicer than leather on many cars.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jagzbimmerjagzbimmer Member Posts: 17
    I definitely agree with nyccarguy and mrbluetooth.

The BMW leatherette is better than most leather offered in many other vehicles.

As far as the "big 3" not offering vinyl in any of their vehicles, I feel the leatherette in the BMW is much better than the LEATHER offered in TB, Envoy, Explorer, JGC, etc. The leather in these vehicles FEEL like vinyl.

BMW leatherette is very comfortable, supportive, and, YES, EASY to clean (I have a 2 yr old and believe me, I'd be going nuts with leather).

Have had the X5 for 2 months now and have about 1,000 miles on it. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned!!!
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    Thanks for all of the info guys. It appears that people that have the "vinyl" are very pleased with it. I was not trying to say that it was cheap. It may have just been the way the sales guy said "vinyl". You are correct, we did not actually see a vehicle with leatherette but from reading the brochure on the X5 it does sound like an interesting alternative. In a few years when my friend is ready for this price of vehicle I will let him know to check it out and hopefully save some money.
  • jstylejstyle Member Posts: 129
    Anyone know when the BMW X7 will hit the market. I've seen the upcoming 2004 X3 (mini X5, like the Freelander to Range Rover) but I am interested in a BMW X7 which will be much larger than the X5 (in the Range Rover class). Any info would be great?
  • jcs10jcs10 Member Posts: 1
    Please Help! I need to know if I am getting a fair deal.

42 mos. 10,000 miles per year
    Premium package
    cold weather
    xenon
    $625/month + tax
    $700 security deposit + 1st Mo. payment = Total out of pocket
    It has been a struggle to find a deal similar to ones I have seen posted here.
  • jagzbimmerjagzbimmer Member Posts: 17
    jcs10:

Those lease figures sound sort of high. That is too much to spend on an X5 (or any reasonably priced car for that matter)

If this is, in fact, the best deal you can find, it may be because X5's are at a premium right now. So, you might want to consider going less on the options, and perhaps look into the multiple security deposits program from BMW. Another option is to wait and order an '03. My dealer told me that lease deals are better at the beginning of the model year (probably b/c residuals are higher, while M/F's stay somewhat the same).

I leased an '02 X5 in Feb (using Dec. lease numbers). Here is what I got:

36 mos. 10,000 miles per year
    AUTO
    Cold weather Pkg
    $479/month (including tax)
    $2000 Total out of pocket
    Residual - 66%
    Money Factor - .0015

Based on my X5 experience during and after purchase, I will be ordering a 2003 330xi at the end of next month. These cars are DEFINITELY worth leasing, but, as I said, not for over $600 per month.

Not sure where you are from. I got my deal from Prestige BMW in Northern NJ.
  • sjbettesjbette Member Posts: 11
    Anyone want to share about their experience with their sport package? I am debating whether I want to get it or not. I like the wheels.
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    I spoke to a BMW project manager from Munich on assignment at plant 10 (Spartanburg, SC) last week. He told me that the plans for the X7 are "sitting in the drawer" and won't be used because of safety concerns. He also told me the new 5 series would have iDrive (like the 7 series). On Saturday, I recieved the May 13th AutoWeek that confirmed this. His info seems reliable.

Jack
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The iDrive sounds, er, interesting :-)

steve_ "Social Issues: The Automotive Perspective" May 12, 2002 5:31pm

Will look forward to hearing some real life feedback on the learning process.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    The BMW project manager I spoke with said the the iDrive is being simplified. He has about 8-9 months driving experience with the 7 series iDrive and is extremely pleased with it. He stated that other than automotive journalist's frustration with the learning curve, the feedback is positive.

As for me and my house, I dunno.

Jack
  • sjbettesjbette Member Posts: 11
    i know this is a personal choice. would you share why you would or would not choose the sport package? any opinion is appreciated.
  • pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    According to the review article on Car and Driver, the sport package will give you a bone-jarring ride. It was on an early 2000 issue. Maybe you can still dig out the article from caranddriver.com.
    A 4.4 sport is more sports car than SUV. Ideal for the streets of L.A., lots of speed, great handling, but poorly equipped to deal with winter as the tires would have to be replaced with suitable snows. And since there are no snow tires for that rim it'd need another set of wheels as well. A 3.0i sport has 18" mud/snows which are usable in most weather conditions but not true high performance tires.

As for the ride, the sports suspension felt somewhat tighter to me, but even the std. suspension is tighter than the typical lux sedan. It's really the back seat passengers that feel the difference. Looks: sport features clear corners and a dark headliner, along with a sport steering wheel. I thought clear corners were a nice touch until every riced-out civic on the street went clear...at least on the X5 its tastefully done. If the dark headliner works with your color scheme then go for it. For me the decision came down to this: heated steering wheel; sport doesn't have it. Does for your hands what heated seats do for your backside. Again, if it's an LA X5 probably a non-issue. Hope this helps.