Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How do I know if I need a fuel filter or fuel pump? 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.

kjam60kjam60 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Ford
I have a 2001 ford explorer sport. If car has good amount of gas in it , it usually starts. When the gas gets low it won't start unless i charge the battery for a few min. Been told several different things and am getting really confused

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited October 2014
    You would have to measure the pressure in the fuel rail with a gauge, otherwise, everyone is just guessing. There are many reasons why a vehicle might not start, especially on a car that is 13 years old. So measure the fuel pressure.

How To Test Explorer Fuel Pump
  • Options
    kjam60kjam60 Member Posts: 2
    I just had my car smogged about 4 wks ago and it passed with flying colors. Is that the same kind of compression test
  • Options
    iap1iap1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 ford explorer sport i have been enjoying until about three weeks ago when i filled my fuel tank at a filling station. I discovered a change in its performance while driving. the problem i have now is that even though the moves without any problem, the engine begins to slightely fluctuate on its own the moment i come to a stationary position and later goes off if i do not move my gear from drive to park. Restarting the car is not difficult at all. What could be the problem? i have filled my fuel tank twice sinc the incindence to neutralize the bad fuel but i am still experiencing the problem. I got a technician only last saurday to service the injector nozzles but the same problem presist. i need advice please...