Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Hybrid--Real World MPG

nascarnolenascarnole Member Posts: 2
edited February 2014 in Hyundai
I am considering buying a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid and read a MotorTrend article stating it gets far less fuel mileage than the EPA estimates. Please let me know what kind of mileage you are getting with this car and what your city/highway driving mix is. Thanks so much!

Comments

• jelongjelong Member Posts: 1
    I have Sonanta Hybrid 2011 basic model.

Yesterday i've refilled my HSH and get 37.8 MPG.
    City 20% / Highway 80% driving.
  • langer240langer240 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2011 Sonata Hybrid since August 2011. most of my driving is city driving. I have yet to break 25 mpg in the city. Very disappointed. Hyundai even closed my case I opened on the gas mileage suggesting they tested it at 36 city- when it was never tested other than highway. When it snows- its between 16 & 17 mpg!
  • sreed85sreed85 Member Posts: 1
    I don't get better than 25 city and 32 highway. No where near what I was told at the dealership. I'm sorely disappointed. There was a lady who successfully sued Honda over her hybrid not getting the mileage suggested by the manufacturer. Class action?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A reminder: The Edmunds cannot be used to organize legal actions. That includes asking people to contact you, to contact lawyers, etc. Any posts along those lines will be removed, so please, do not go down that road.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this.
  • mhamilton06mhamilton06 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my HSH for a little over 2 months now and love the car.

I do a lot of highway driving and typically get 40mpg during the week.

On the weekends when the wife and I do a lot of city (stop n go) driving I'm typically getting about 33mpg.

So, it depends on the type of driving that you're doing as well as how you drive. I don't drive like a teenager for example (and I'm not inferring that those not getting the proper MPG values do) but I have noticed that by doing a couple of minor driving techniques will improve the MPG you get.

For example, use Cruise Control as often as possible. The on board computer does a better job of it than your foot does.

Instead of driving at 65 MPH where posted, set your cruise control to 62-63 (and get in the slow lane)... you'll see an extra 1 to 2 miles per gallon doing this.

You'll also see more tips on this link (Hyundai Forums - Sonata Hybrid)
  • shybridshybrid Member Posts: 8
    I have had my Sonata Hybrid since May of 2011. I am currently averaging 35 mpg, and I drive a pretty even mix of city, highway and freeway. The product collateral that was available when I purchased my car said mileage would range 35 - 40. This has been the warmest winter we've ever had, so I'm disappointed in the mileage. I feel a little better seeing some of the other responses (my mpg isn't as bad). However, when I think of the extra money I paid for the hybrid it's very discouraging, when the regular engine version gets 40. I've also had trouble with the bluetooth. I'd suggest that you make sure your phone has been tested with the bluetooth in the car, if that's important to you. They can look it up in their system.
  • jaybpjaybp Member Posts: 1
    Shybrid, we should talk I have been to dealer 3 times about mileage. We just did a test ordered by the regional office and we got 29 mpg. I spoke with Chet from regional office. Rude rude rude! I can't believe they have someone that rude in PR? I would like to do something locally about it maybe 2 cam accomplish more than one?
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    Just to be clear, the regular Sonata is not rated 40mpg for city/highway. It is rated 22 city, 34 highway and combined 26mpg. You are getting 9mpg better than the combined 26mpg the non hybrid model is rated at. And depending on where you live, what kind of gas you use (ethanol), your driving habits, etc you probably would not see 26mpg combined on the regular model. More like 24mpg. My recommendation would be to read up on hypermiling and try some of those techniques if you have not already. Using those techniques, I can usually equal or better the EPA estimate on the Mazda, Hyundai, and Honda models I have owned. That said, I don't like driving that conservative and typically get well under the EPA estimate. The fact that your within 2mpg of the EPA estimate for combined driving is not really that bad. In the winter I would be lucky to get that in any of my vehicles. Typically I am a good 3-5mpg under the estimate.
    edited April 2012
    When I bought my car, the product sheet that I still have, says 35/40. With a footnote **EPA estimates. So the information you have is not the same info I have. I'm looking at it right now.

I would not have bought this car if I thought the MPG was less than 35.
    please let me know how to get in touch with you.
  • dc_driverdc_driver Member Posts: 712
    edited April 2012
    I am confused. When you said the "regular" version of the Sonata gets 40mpg, I assumed you meant the non-hybrid Sonata?

I am also confused when you say

"I would not have bought this car if I thought the MPG was less than 35. "

You said you were getting 35mpg?

The actual EPA information as stated on the Sonata Hybrid is the following:
    EPA Economy Estimates:
    City: "Expected range for most drivers is 29 to 41 MPG"
    Highway: "Expected range for most drivers is 33 to 47 MPG"

This is right off the EPA Estimate sticker that is on every Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. At 35 MPG for driving, you are well within the stated EPA estimates. And you are getting approximately 9 MPG better than the non-hybrid version.
    ok - sorry for the confusion. Here is my reality -

The sales guy at the dealership was trying to talk me into buying a regular Sonata on the lot. At the time I started looking, they didn't even have a hybrid yet. He told me that the regular Sonatas consistently got 40 MPG or better. Again - trying to sell me inventory on the lot. And maybe there were other reasons he did not press to sell me a hybrid.

But because I wanted the hybrid for various reasons, and the product material that was available at that time (Feb/Mar 2011) said the Hybrid would get 35-40 MPG, I waited for the Hybrid. Right now I'm getting 35. I want and expect more. I understand the variations of drivers, seasons, etc., but I don't care about that. I care about the reason I bought it, what I was told, the printed material I have.

My comment about not buying a car with less than 35 MPG estimate - was meant for any car - hybrid or not from Hyundai. There are other alternatives.

No need to reply - I appreciate your previous attempts to help. Bottom line - I'm not satisfied.
  • dawson46dawson46 Member Posts: 2
    City driving 24 MPG, Highway 33. We get the bluelink reports that nothing is wrong.

Very, very frustrated. At the very least we expected 30 city. In my opinion, the gas engine kicks in when its really not needed. The batteries never say 100% and seem to drain immediately.
  • tdinsighttdinsight Member Posts: 4
    After having a few efficiency oriented cars and keeping good records for at least 3000 miles in each here is my mpg experience. My freeway speed is probably 67-71 mph. My metro area is 300k and there are 10 stop lights on the way to work. I set tires 2-3 psi high. 2007 Saturn Aura 4 cylinder 24 mixed 31 highway, VW tdi wagon 35 mixed 47 highway, Honda insight 41 mixed 46 highway, 2012 Sonata hybrid 36 mixed and 44 highway. Owner impressions for anyone shopping: 1) The tdi mpg drops off more in cold weather than I expected and worse on short trops than the hybrids. The torque is great and this car positively eats hilly roads. 2) The insight is kinda slow and gets part of its efficiency by being light. It blows around in the wind more than the others. Currently it is being used by a grad student child of mine who loves it. 3) The Sonata conventional transmission is probably a limiting factor. Usually it runs eV (efficient) to about 18 mph and is shifting into 3rd gear as the engine starts. It shifts into 6th at about 40 mph on level ground and gets nice mileage above that speed. In 3rd to 5th gears it does not seem that efficient. Climbing modest hills in town at 35-40 where the Honda or VW would impress me with over 30-35 mpg on the instant readout the Sonata will show 22.5 or less mpg. I have dropped accelerating slowly through this speed range and go straight from 20 to 40 mph (or higher climbing a hill) without hesitation. Vs camry hybrid list price is $500 less but my best deal was about $2200 better. I usually buy but put this car on lease and will decide later if it is a keeper.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • hotweatherhotweather Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my hybrid in March 2012, and have done the fuel estimates and are only getting around 32 highway and 23 city. I would not buy this car until Hyundai figures out what is wrong with it. We have had our car into the dealership seven times since March trying to correct the problem with fuel economy and the dealership says the onboard computer can not find anything wrong with car, therefore they don't know how to fix it. I wish you the best of luck in car shopping.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77
    Just want to bump this for all 2011-2012 Sonata Hybrid owners who have not had the latest TSB 13-FL-004 performed. It enhances drivability and stops the cold start jerkiness and hesitation.
    You have to actually complain about those symptoms to the dealer to have this installed, as it is not a recall, but a TSB.
    Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • vinnygvinnyg Member Posts: 77

Another bump for all 2011-2012 Sonata Hybrid owners who have not had the latest TSB 13-FL-004 performed. It enhances drivability and stops the cold start jerkiness and hesitation.
    You have to actually complain about those symptoms to the dealer to have this installed, as it is not a recall, but a TSB.

Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down.
  • mpgliempglie Member Posts: 3

I have a 2012 sonata hybrid, which I put on 14,000 miles since purchase. This car is being driven approx. 80% local & 20% highway and averaging 26.2 mpg thus far. I've tried driving on cruise control, as some owners suggested, however I've yet to break 29 mpg on local streets regardless of driving style. My wife has a Toyota Prius and even with her lead foot, she is averaging 46.2mpg!

I would've not purchased this vehicle knowing the advertised mpg is nowhere near the actual performance. This type of advertisement should be illegal. Surprised there is no class action on this issue!

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345

Apparently the 2013s are much better, but that is of little benefit for earlier purchasers. They really should offer you guys a gas card like they did when their EPA numbers weren't even close last year on various models.

Being the guinea pig is never fun, especially when you paid a lot for the position.

If it helps, at least your ride is probably a much more quiet and serene place to be than your wife's.

• sanny_tossanny_tos Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014

2013 Hybrid Limited, California driven, first two weeks behind the wheel.
    60% city, 40% highway, 30 mpg.
    Still adjusting how to drive more efficiently.

• osullivanosullivan Member Posts: 1

2013 Hyundai Limited driven in coastal South Carolina. I have about 3,500 miles on with 2 months of ownership. About 50/50 city/highway. Averaging 40 mpg (calculated - don't rely on the computer... it's off by 10%). Gotten as high as 43 mpg on a tank. I get best mpg when I'm in Blue mode and don't speed. I do the speed limit or slightly below, which seems to make a big difference, too. Almost bought a Prius, but happy I got a much more comfortable car for about the same cash with only a small mpg penalty.

@osullivan said:
    2013 Hyundai Limited driven in coastal South Carolina. I have about 3,500 miles on with 2 months of ownership. About 50/50 city/highway. Averaging 40 mpg (calculated - don't rely on the computer... it's off by 10%). Gotten as high as 43 mpg on a tank. I get best mpg when I'm in Blue mode and don't speed. I do the speed limit or slightly below, which seems to make a big difference, too. Almost bought a Prius, but happy I got a much more comfortable car for about the same cash with only a small mpg penalty.

I always rely on calculating my mileage and use it as a way to monitor the "health" of my cars by watching for a sudden change in mileage that can't be explained away by short fill up or unusual driving conditions and the like.

I do recall "ruining"someone's gas mileage once here in the forums. They were debating whether to buy a new car and said they were getting something like 35 mpg from their old car. But the EPA numbers for their old car were more like 25 highway at best. So we got into how they were driving, how they were figuring mileage, etc. Turns out that the very first time they filled up their car, they put 10 gallons in the tank, and they assumed that 10 gallons was a fill up. They would divide their miles driven since last fill up by 10, never paying attention to how much gas they actually were putting in. And since it was actually more like a 15 gallon tank,their calculation was WAY off. Somehow that translated into ME ruining the mileage they were getting. :s

Had the 13 fl 04 software updated on the main comp couple weeks ago. Immediate improvement in mpg and got rid of the cold start sluggishness. It seems the car runs more on the elec motor on local driving. Thanks for the advice Vinny!

@mpglie said:
    Had the 13 fl 04 software updated on the main comp couple weeks ago. Immediate improvement in mpg and got rid of the cold start sluggishness. It seems the car runs more on the elec motor on local driving. Thanks for the advice Vinny!

What kind of bump did you get in MPG? It's ALWAYS great to see shared info on the forum helping out!

On straightaway, it hit 40mpg and on slight hilly roads, it is getting approx 28mpg. This car never came close to 40mpg in any road condition before the download! Average mpg bump is approx +3mpg overall.

@mpglie said:
    On straightaway, it hit 40mpg and on slight hilly roads, it is getting approx 28mpg. This car never came close to 40mpg in any road condition before the download! Average mpg bump is approx +3mpg overall.

What mileage are you getting over a tank of gas? Those instantaneous numbers are interesting, but (for me, anyway) the average mileage is a more useful number.

• sony2000sony2000 Member Posts: 2

I don't think the Sonata Hybrid and the Prius are really comparable, because there is a significant weight difference. The Camry is more of a comparable.

@sony2000 said:
    I don't think the Sonata Hybrid and the Prius are really comparable, because there is a significant weight difference. The Camry is more of a comparable.

Well, the weight difference is one of the points of comparison where they differ ;)

Welcome to the forums! Always nice to see the new faces. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. That's why the moderators are here.

• berniel77berniel77 Member Posts: 3

@crkyolfrt said:
    Apparently the 2013s are much better, but that is of little benefit for earlier purchasers. They really should offer you guys a gas card like they did when their EPA numbers weren't even close last year on various models.

Being the guinea pig is never fun, especially when you paid a lot for the position.

If it helps, at least your ride is probably a much more quiet and serene place to be than your wife's.

We purchased our 2013 HSH used in April of this year. It was a fleet vehicle and had about 18,000 miles on it when we drove and bought it. In the first few weeks it was used primary for local driving and we got 31-32 MPG. We live in southwest Connecticut.

Then last week (May 12-18), we took it on vacation to Shenandoah area of Virginia, Myrtle Beach, SC, and Chincoteague, VA before returning home to CT. We drove almost 1700 miles on this trip. The estimated MPGs reset upon each fill-up but we kept written records of odometer and trip mileage on each fill-up. Except for the first fill-up which included some of our local miles before this trip, the others calculated from 38.8 to 42.2 MPGs. The Estimated mileage on the screen remained mostly in the 40s going as high as 49.9 at one point. This included some local driving at several points during the trip. On the Interstates, we did drive much of it at 65-72 MPH so could have done better gas mileage if we kept the speed down.

We love this car. We had been looking at the Toyata Prius v (small wagon) but when searching for a red hybrid on carmax.com, this one turned up so that is where we bought it. We got a better trade-in for our 2004 Saturn Ion at Carmax than some other quotes.

I have a couple of minor questions about the car. We don't find a compass, neither on radio or mirror. Is it hiding, not available on a Basic, or because it was a fleet vehicle? Similarly why no accessory jacks for the rear passengers? Is there any fine tuning that should be performed, like the one mentioned for the 2011/2012?

Bernie in CT

• kalliekallie Member Posts: 2

The difference between reported savings and actual experience is sort of sad. But it's probably similar on the gas-guzzling side, too.

• bobbo12bobbo12 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my sonata hybrid a little over a week, but my mpg experience has been quite good. In Interstate driving I am getting a little better than 40mpg per the onboard computer. In city driving it does somewhat better.The gas gauge seems to correlate to the computer, so I am fairly confident in these numbers. I am highly pleased!
    bobbo12 said:

I have had my sonata hybrid a little over a week, but my mpg experience has been quite good. In Interstate driving I am getting a little better than 40mpg per the onboard computer. In city driving it does somewhat better.The gas gauge seems to correlate to the computer, so I am fairly confident in these numbers. I am highly pleased!

Just need to double check those gauges by doing the calculation when you fill up. The onboard computers are handy, but I always feel more sure about their accuracy by filling up, driving most of the tank, filling up again and dividing the miles travelled by gallons at the last fillup.

• oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2014
    GAS MILEAGE CONCERN-
    Hi folks. I'm new to the hybrid. I just bought my 2014 HSH last Thursday. I love it but I'm concerned about something I didn't recognize a few days ago. Friends.....Please advise me.

For the 1st couple days, I was getting amazing gas mileage and then after about 225 miles I recognized something strange. When I would accelerate from a traffic light or up an on ramp, the mpg gauge in the center of the dash would go all the way down to 5-10 mph. Also, the EV gauge on the far left shoots up during this moment almost to the red and then returns like its supposed to.

Quite often over the past couple days, when I would accelerate with the gas pedal even during normal driving ( not coming from a stopped position), the mpg gauge would constantly go under 25 mph to around 10-15 mph and then go back up after I release the gas a little.

When I'm level and at a set speed the gauges seem to act as expected. Yes, when I coast, the car gets great gas mileage. Question- Is this supposed to react like this and go all the way down on the center gauge and almost up to the red on the left side of the dash?

Please help advise me as I'm concerned that there may be something wrong already. Thanks.
    I sincerely hope not.
    oceang2 said:

Please help advise me as I'm concerned that there may be something wrong already. Thanks.
    I sincerely hope not.

It doesn't really sound like anything is wrong. The mpg number that you see going lower is the instantaneous mileage number. That DOES go down when you step harder on the gas. Doesn't matter if you're accelerating from a dead stop or accelerating while you're already moving. You're using gas faster while you're accelerating. Don't get hung up on the instantaneous mileage number. For one thing, it's not safe to drive while trying to pay attention to that. My newest car is the first I've had with computer mpg readouts. The average mileage readout is a much more useful number. I use the overall mileage performance as a gauge of the "health" of my vehicles. Any sudden or large change in mileage MIGHT be a sign that something is going on. Most times it turns out to be a not quite the same fill up level, but once in a while it might not be.

But again, it sounds like things are working normally for you. Don't drive yourself crazy by "chasing the needle" :)

Thanks
    oceang2 said:

Thanks

Keep us posted on how things go for you. Coming into the cold weather season so we'll all be taking a bit of a mileage hit soon enough!
    Hey. Here we are 7 weeks with the hybrid and a lot of driving. ( I do drive a lot ). 4400 miles on the car now so it should be broken in as they say. I still have the gas mileage concern. The on board computer is consistent with higher readings although my actual mpg is averaging around 32 mpg. This number is based on the old reliable math after 10 fill ups from the pump. The check engine light lit up 2x recently and it went off after I turned the car off. Stayed off after the car was started again.
    I have a 450 mile trip starting tomorrow but I'm taking it in to the dealer to get checked out 1st thing in the morning. I'll keep you posted.
    My latest vehicle (2014 Versa Note) is my first with a dashboard instantaneous/average mileage display and the avg number is about as close to calculated-at-fillup as it can be.

Since you're in a new vehicle, I have to assume that we're not looking at a different tire size affecting the computer calculation, or that you're running with under-inflated tires, things like that.

How much difference is there between your calculations and the dash reading? And i assume you reset the avg mpg readout when you filled up.
  • mbp2112mbp2112 Member Posts: 2
    It's been just about a year since I took delivery of my 2015 Sonata Hybrid... I usually get between 32-34 MPG, based on calculating fuel fill volume vs. trip odometer - the on-board average MPG is usually around 2 MPG high, for whatever reason. Winter fuel blends will definitely knock down mileage a couple of MPG, as well as having to run the engine to provide heat for the climate control system.

I drive in and out of Boston every day, so I'm loving the mileage, and the car in general hasn't put a wheel wrong since I bought it. The car is as comfortable as my 15 MPG Grand Marquis was, but gets mileage as good as the little Toyota Corolla penalty-box I drove before the Mercury. Heading to sub-zero Montreal this weekend, I'll be curious to see if there's any impact on performance or mileage.
    Yea, those winter time mileage hits are kind of unavoidable on every car. Heck, it got so cold and windy here today that my car is acting like a frozen lump. ;)
  • dakotabarrydakotabarry Member Posts: 1
    We bought the 2015 Sport and couldn't be more pleased. I wanted to compare cruise vs manual on a 50 mile trip and the results were shocking. Using cruise, it showed 38mpg but on the return trip without cruise, a whopping 48mpg!!! This was open traffic with no backups with 6 miles were city driving. Fillups range from 36-40mpg so figure 38mpg average.
    Any other factors? Uphill one way? Prevailing winds?
  • c_spongc_spong Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2015 Sonata Hbyrid that got horrible gas mileage for the first year. Hyundai did a "certified" drive test and got 98 mpg. They closed the case but we later settled for an amount that will more than pay for the extra gas. Just never give up when they say no.
    I have since found a way to fix the problem. I noticed that when I filled the tank, I got great gas mileage for about a 100 miles or so, then it started sinking. Now is just reset the dashboard system when it start to drop and it immediately goes up to around 45 mpg for a while. I'm now finding that the need to reset is getting fewer and fewer and last month made it through the month with no resets and got 39 mph.
  • nursedocnursedoc Member Posts: 2
    Couldn't be happier! Just bought the Black Friday special closeout of the 2016 Sonata Hybrid SE (base model) and after all discounts and credits, the price was about $17,500! Out the door with T&L and a couple dealer fees of total $20,300. In my first 500 miles I'm getting real world just over 40 MPG with mixed town and highway. The mileage seems to be best at regular highway speed of 60mph that I run, over the city driving. My earlier thoughts of buying an all electric were vanquished when I saw the price I could get this hybrid for and when I fill the tank, I have over 600 miles range! Really liked the limited version I previously test drove, but the extras weren't worth the extra $7-8,000 to me. Better to pay cash and own it rather than make payments and have an expensive car that depreciates. At least that is my thought this time. See what happens in 5-6 years when I'm ready for the next one.