Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• kerbkerb Member Posts: 195
    Can anyone tell me what deal they got on a lease or purchase for a 2002, 3.0 X5 with the premium package, automatic transmission, and zenon's? I am looking to lease and have been quoted $800 for inceptions and 625 w/tax (Florida) per month for 39 months. Many Thanks.
  • pbjbpbjb Member Posts: 2
    My wife has a 2001 X5 with 20,000 miles on it. The AC/Heater adjustment wheel on the dash had to be replaced, the door handles replaced due to peeling, the plastic sleeves for the steering column that squeals when returning to the preset driving position are still on order and the most troublesome was the front end had to be rebuilt ball joints, bushings. BMW indicated they've had numerous premature front end failures.This care has never been off-road. For a car that was allegedly designed for light offroad use I find the reliability unacceptable. It has, in my experience been correctly designated "worse than average" for reliability and a used vehicle to avoid. I'll finish out the 4 year, 50,000 warranty and move on to the new Lexus SUV due to hit the showrooms in 2003 for about the same money with a lot more cargo room and seating capacity. If you decide to buy the X5 I do wish you have better luck with it than we have.
  • dwilso39dwilso39 Member Posts: 5
    Hey,

Has anyone used the European Deilver program? I want to try it - new car and vaction at the same time - but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Althoguth, I would love to drive my new 4.4 v8 X5 w/ sport on the autobaun.

Thanks
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Many members on the 3 series and 5 series board have experienced EUropean Delivery. It is no available on the X5 due to the fact that the X5 is assembled in Spartanburg, South Carolina right here in the good old US of A.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    You could take delivery of the X in Spartanburg SC - somehow I don't think it'd have the same cache as taking delivery of a 5 series in Europe.

I've had my X5 for almost a year with no problems whatsoever, this one's a keeper.
  • rorysagerorysage Member Posts: 1
    I'll be taking delivery of my new X5 3.0 at the end of the month (gotten BELOW invoice by the way!) and am thinking about purchasing the load space divider to keep our active Husky in the rear cargo area on road trips. BMW dealership sites show an MSRP of $350. Sounds like a lot for a piece of netting?? There are metal barriers out there, but I'd rather not use them. Has anyone ever used the BMW-issued load space divider? Is it worth the $350? Know of any sites which sell it below MSRP??
  • ddayanovddayanov Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to by the X5 cargo cover for a good price? I mean the original one. I need pastel green cover and couln't find it. Dealer couldn't find the part number and even price.
  • rkx5rkx5 Member Posts: 1
    You say you have gotten an x5 below invoice ! where, how?

I live in US and am currently looking into an X5 & would love a good deal!

Also, please advice again - what are the Internet agents for sales who can give lower rate?
  • tqphamtqpham Member Posts: 1
    in the first year, especially with a BMW? I have never own a vehicle that had a problem in the first year so I am surprised to see that some owners of X5 felt excited that they did not have any problems with their cars. Is this a BMW or a Yugo that we are talking about. Otherwise it sounds like the X5 so far does not seems to have decent reliability record.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I had 02 3.0 X5 for almost 4 months but most the time my car was at the dealer shop due to several problems. First my navigation wouldn't work at all. Dealer tried to fix it but the whole unit had some kind of problem. Then the car wouldn't start at all, I had to tow away. Before I had 3 series and never had any problem with it. May be 3 series is made in germany so has more reliable than X5 which is made here in US. So, I traded my X5 with 2002 Nissan Pathfinder Le and I'm really satisfied with this car. The navigation system is one of the coolest system i have ever seen. This car is smooth and fast plus I saved some money too.
  • jcayce1jcayce1 Member Posts: 2
    Smarty2 mentioned his unpleasant sales experience at BMW of Sterling (Va). My experience was completely the opposite - very professional and uncomplicated. My salesperson's name is Gerard. He's the best and this is the second time I have dealt with him.
  • pswlpswl Member Posts: 3
    So glad to hear your positive comments on BMW of Sterling, especially at this time when we are considering to use them. If you don't mind sharing, can u please tell the deal you get with Gererd? We are looking for a X5 3.0 probably '03 model. Professional and uncomplicated process is exactly what we are looking for. Thanks.
  • jcayce1jcayce1 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a pre-owned (2001) with 9000 miles. It was the lowest mileage X5 on the lot and was the color I wanted (Jet balck with saddle interior). Being certified, the warranty goes to 2007. The car was spotless.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi there,
    Hope someone out there responds to my journalist friend on the following mission:

Anyone out there shopping for a BMW? I'm a journalist with a national
    publication looking for people who have owned or are seeking to buy a
    BMW. I'm also looking for long-time BMW owners with thoughts about the
    styling of the new 7-series. If you don't mind being quoted, please send
    an email with your telephone number to carguy147@hotmail.com and I will
    call and interview you. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks from both of us,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• carltucarltu Member Posts: 8
    Hello all,

I am interested in leasing a 03 X5 3.0.

My local dealer (in NY) told me that only the sales price is negotiable. Once the sales price is determined, the leasing payment will be calculated based on it. Is this true ?

Are money factor and residual value negotiable? The quote I got is money factor 0.0026, residual value 60% for 36 month term, 15K. Does this sound right to you ?

Thank you for your help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    In theory, everything is negotiable :-)

For some real help, track down Car_man & KC over in the Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board (especially the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion).

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You sure the money factor's not .260? .0026 seems low, 'specially for a Bimmer. 60% residual sounds right.

Unless the dealer is marking up the finance rate it won't be negotiable, and the residual is a fixed number based on MSRP.
  • carltucarltu Member Posts: 8
    steve and raybear, thank you for your replys.

I went to Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board but couldn't find any information.

Do you know if BMW offers any promotion program for leasing, and usually when it will be.

Thank you.
  • brwndoggybrwndoggy Member Posts: 41
    Anyone getting good deals on 02's with the 03's coming in any day?
    I'm in Texas and am amazed that 01's with 30k are going for $40,000.
    Rory= where did you get your car for under invoice?
    Thanks,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try asking in the Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion while waiting for feedback here. Usually someone can give you specific answers over there.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    My seat gets confused at times (about 1 in 10) and
    goes to my wife's preset position instead of mine.
    This only happens when I use the key fob to unlock the doors. Does anyone know the cure for this problem?

Thanks.
  • sbadgesbadge Member Posts: 2
    Just ordered a new 03 BMW X5 4.4. The 2003 model now has DVD based Navigation, and standard Head Protection System for the rear passengers. Previously you can not order Adjustable Ride Height with the Sport Package. Now you can. Also if you order the black interior, you now get a true black, not the grayish black. Otherwise, everything remains the same. The quote I got for the 4.4 is $58,400. That is with all the packages, rear side airbag, 19" alloy wheels. This does not include rear heated seat, upgrade audio system, park distant control and minor stuff like heat steering wheel.

Anybody out there got a better deal?
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Couldn't tell you what kind of deal you got unless we know the MSRP.
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    sbadge, when you ask people around here if you have a good deal. Do you expect only someone orderred soemthing exactly like yours to comment or do you expect people to calculate the invoice and MSRP of the car you described by themselves.
  • monkeyyehmonkeyyeh Member Posts: 2
    Got a few questions for everyone... hopefully they won't be annoyingly simple.

1. Tax and tags... are taxes a given? I'm an idiot living in DE where there are no sales tax, but looking to purchase the X5 in PA... perhaps sales tax on vehicles are separate from normal sales tax?

2. As I understand it, BMW doesn't have a holdback. Given that I don't have the invoice pricing info for a 2003 X5,I have to go by the invoice costing on a 2002... which, if all I ask for is a moonroof and xenon headlights, comes to $47210 with destination... if the TMV is $51496, what does everyone think I should shoot for in negotiations on a 2003 with the same options? My latest offer from a dealer is $50845... and I THINK he's modifying an order.

Sorry for the length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • monkeyyehmonkeyyeh Member Posts: 2
    Found answers in Town Hall archives. Sorry about that.

Any replies to the pricing part of my previous entry?
  • sbadgesbadge Member Posts: 2
    tinlittle

What makes you think I was expecting anything? I posted something that was relevent to the forum. Just maybe someone out there could have purchased a similar or exact setup, couldn't there be, huh?? Just maybe someone could have just came back from a dealership, saw my post, and decided to share his/her packages/pricing with me.

A forum is about sharing similar experiences. Obviously you have nothing to share.
  • reesexoverreesexover Member Posts: 1
    MY 2001 X5 HAS BEEN BROKEN INTO TWICE THIS YEAR. BOTH TIMES THE SAME WAY. THEY POPPED THE DRIVERS LOCK, STICK ANY KEY IN AND THE LOCKS OPEN. I THINK THIS IS RIDICULES FOR A $58000 CAR. THIS TIME THEY STOLE MY XENON HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY. ANY IDEA HOW MUCH THIS IS GOING TO COST ME.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    If you are a casual traveler and have this system in your X5, would you order it again? Or is it nice to have, like 'heated seats' when actually a blanket would do as well for the few times needed.
    Also, my salesperson said if I order NAV it comes only with a cassette and that a C/D player would have to be installed by the dealer.
    Your thought on the NAV option is appreciated, as I have a few days to alter my order.
  • donahujdonahuj Member Posts: 2
    Last year BMW, beginning in October, gave its dealers $2,500 back for each new 2001 X5 it sold, in order to make room for the '02s. Does anyone know what BMW will be doing for its dealers this year? I went back on last year's October postings to try to get a sense of what people were paying relative to MSRP and the lowest posting was for a 4.4 at $1,000 under invoice, which sounded pretty good. With the $2,500 dealer cash, the dealer still made $1,500 on that transaction. Thanks.
  • ty39ty39 Member Posts: 23
    For those of you that have an X5 without the "Navigation" system, do you now wish that you had ordered it...and will "Navigation" be a "must have" on your next X5?? Some reviews say the system is user 'unfriendly'...your thoughts appreciated....
  • hayes8hayes8 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my 2002 X5 in the shop several times to correct an erroneous "check filler cap" problem. It is really annoying because it causes the "service engine soon" light to come on. They have changed the filler tube and another valve on the drivers side. Anyone else have this problem and if so what was done to correct it?
    E Hayes
  • chimpwarechimpware Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery on Saturday and paid $2500 under invoice for 2002 X5 3.0i (Premium, Sport, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Xenons). Car was not in dealer stock and was delivered from another state.
  • jzjjzj Member Posts: 1
    anyone know how to operate the upgraded onboard compturer for the x5? stopping/starting resetting?
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    I have the Nav and think of it as a nice to have toy, not a must-have. It's fun to play with, I like the look of the dash better with (mine's the small screen) and I like having the onboard computer integrated into the screen (easier to read). But it makes too many mistakes to depend on it for everything (this weekend it told me to make a u-turn for no reason -- the display indicated "go straight"). My favorite feature is actually the ability to vent the car by running the fan up to twice a day for 30 minutes. I "blow out" the hot air 30 minutes before I leave work just in case it rained and I can't put the windows down with the key fob. Works great.

I think the '03s come with an in-dash CD even with Nav but my CD changer was a dealer installed option. IMO you're gonna want the changer regardless. I found out (too late) that I could buy it online for less than half what the stealer wanted and install it myself in 10 minutes. If you search online for a (hint) "pacific" coast (hint) "BMW" dealer you can get a good price.
  • hayes8hayes8 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 2002 X5 and took delivery in Naples, Italy. Just let me say that on a trip from Naples to Rome on the A1 and I set the cruise control on 110mph and the car never missed a beat. There were a couple of times where I had to push it in order to get out of the way of the cars passing me but I was truly impressed. I love driving the X5 here in Italy. The Xenon headlight are a must because many roads do not have street lights. Also, you would be amazed at the accuracy of the Italy Navigation CD. If you have ever driven in Naples you know that most if not all of the street names are very hard to find. Well, Veronica (the name I gave to the Nav system) has never failed me. The only problem I have had with the SAV is that water condensation built up in the headlight assy (which they fixed right away) and that annoying "check filler cap" which BMW Italia can't seem to figure out. Other than that it is great. One of my Italian friends said when I am on the road everyone will get out of my way because they think I am driving "Le Machina di Capo" (the car of the boss).
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Glad to see another happy X5 jockey on the roads. Try to keep those RPMs under 4500 (I think, look in the manual) for the first 1500 miles. Gotta make sure everything seals up nice.
  • sirwinsirwin Member Posts: 3
    Chimpware - what dealer did you use? I'm in CA and looking for a deal on a 2002.
  • smarty2smarty2 Member Posts: 6
    I used Rick as a salesperson and frankly this was a previously owned 4.4 with 11K on it,so new car sales may be a different experience.Rick swore that my car was not a buy back or a car with a poor service record or that it had any body or paint work.I asked to see the service record and he said it was all codes so you could not really know why the car was in for service but that there was not an unusual number of services. In any case I still had almost 2 years of bumper to bumper +extended precertified warranty for 6yrs.The car was never in an accident but the previous owner had had paint work on one side.When I found out I called the dealership and was told it was just a scatch touch up.The truth is somewhat different. The following are some of the problems this car has had: 1}Headlights fog in rain that is heavy or carwash.2)Smell from air vents like mildew or old sneakers.3)Steering column noise{this was fixed)4}Paint work was due to previous owner cracking side mirror causing green fluid to splash back of car and staining paint.5)Dash trim on right is not finished properly,it looks like a piece of the trim below vent in missing but in fact it is now my understanding that this is a defect when the car dash board was made.The cure is to order a new dash board,take the car apart and hope that you don't end up with more problems of rattles ect. because your car was taken apart. I'm still not sure what to do about this. I did'nt even notice this defect for quite awhile because it's not glaring, it just looks like the sand leather overlaps the black dash or a small piece of trim is missing.Still on a car with an almost 60k sticker new, these problems are hard to accept.On the positive this car is fun to drive and I love it. Also,Chuck in the service dept, at Sterling seems genuinely interested in trying to cure some of these problems (like the peeling door handles can be replaced as often as necessary).Stay clear of V.O.B I went there because it was closer and had a horrible experience.(See old post in July}I wonder what and how many things make a car qualify as a lemon? My car so far drives well but all these cosmetic things are annoying and are requiring lots a trips to the dealer.
  • sdsdsdsd Member Posts: 1
    Looking for 2003 X5 with Premium, climate and Cold Weather Pkgs, Premium Audio, Xenons,Lumbar Support, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Self Dimming Mirrors.

MSRP is 49,152. What is a good price?

Any deals on '02 models in NH, MA?

Thanks in advance.
  • jvmaxjvmax Member Posts: 5
    OK, after some research in the Central/South Florida area, there is no way that I can get invoice price let alone under invoice on any 2002 3.0 X5 eventhough the 2003's are on the lot.

Best I can do is 1500 above invoice. One dealer even had 7 2002 X5's and wouldn't deal even without a trade-in, and I even was going through BMW Financial services.

I think some people on this board are confusing invoice price with MSRP Retail. There is NO BMW dealer that will sell you a BMW at Invoice. I even looked at some low mileage Demo's and they were not even at invoice.

BMW's philosophy is that if I don't buy it at that price, the person walking in the door after me will, so take it or leave it.

My challenge is this: I am willing to drive no more than 500 miles from Central Florida for a BMW 3.0 X5 under invoice. If anyone bought their bmw under invoice (a true number without any trade involved) please leave me and the members of this board a name and phone number to contact because it is definitely worth the trip for me. I hate to give in to these arrogant BMW salemen here in FLA.
  • mikejakemikejake Member Posts: 2
    Any luck with under or at invoice pricing in florida?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you want people to contact you privately, then change the setting in your profile to make your email address public.

We discourage listing of real names, phone numbers etc. on open boards for obvious reasons.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Ok, I'm new at posting--have always been the reader intstead of writer. Anyways I have made my profile public for anyone who would like to email. I have personally contacted several BMW dealers tonight, so I will await tomorrow's responses. Seems like the BMW dealer in West Palm Beach has 13 2002 x5 3.0's in stock so that might be the one to get a deal on. We'll see....
  • mikejakemikejake Member Posts: 2
    I will be meeting with the GM of the West Palm Beach BMW dealer next Tues or Wed (a friend of mine knows him well and has received great pricing in the past). I am ready to buy asap. If anyone wants I can mention that I know others that are ready to buy - maybe we can leverage a few vehicles and get a great price - it is worth a shot. Anyone interested can find my email under my profile.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...maybe we can leverage a few vehicles and get a great price...

Let's not! It looks too much like a solicitation which isn't permitted on the TH boards.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    But you're in FL, so why on earth do you need an SUV? The 4wd will render useless unless you really trek through mucky, muddy, swamp terrain on your way to the grocery store or mall. A 530i would be a better fit for you possibly.

Is it really worth it for you to drive that far to get a good deal on a car? Are you stretching your budgetary constraints? Maybe a CPO X5 would be more to your liking.

You do realize that whenever the car needs to be serviced, your local dealer may not provide you with a loaner car or a preferential service appointment. Have you checked into your local dealer's policy on cars not purchased at that particular dealership?

You also stated in your own post that there is NO BMW dealer that will sell you a car at invoice. So why are you looking to buy a car from a BMW dealer BELOW invoice?

$1500+ Invoice is considered a good deal on a BMW. $1000+ Invoice on a BMW is considered a great deal. I have read that someone one this board got an X5 for $1200 under invoice (but that's RARE). I've also read that Central FL is a bad place to buy luxury cars. Maybe try calling some dealerships in the NY/NJ/CT area. If you're willing to drive up to 500 miles for a good deal, why not spend a few hundred bucks on a plane ticket and drive your new X5 back to FL.

Good luck with your search.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I feel your pain - I bought an 01 X5 3.0 about a year ago from Fields - that has to be the arrogant dealer you are referring to in Central Fl., they are horrible. I love the X after the first year, not a single problem - I see lots of them on the roads here.

NYC- The X5 is hardly an SUV, it's not recomended for off road use - like anyone with an SUV actually goes off road. An X5 happens to be perfect for Florida. I looked at a 530 when I settled on the X because of it's all wheel drive plus I preferred the X's layout over the 530. I used to live in the snow belt (Colorado) and drove a Range Rover back then - which actually went off road on a fairly regular basis. A Rangie in Florida would be a bit of a waste - although that new 03 Range Rover is all the rage here, I've seen several, along with tons of Escalades and 03 Navigators.

Luxury car dealers in the Orlando area have an MSRP take it or leave it attitude - you really have to negotiate to get a deal - I got Fields down a couple grand on my X - I wouldn't even attempt invoice.
    OK,

thanks for all of the feedback to my last question. Looks like the best anyone in FL can do is 1500 above invoice. So I know must ask, has anyone bought a dealer demo with less than 5k miles and for what price in respect to invoice for the same vehicle new.

I'm thinking if I can get 2500 off of invoice for a demo, that would be a great price. Any thoughts???
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    We're also in So. Fla. looking for a deal on an X5. We asked about dealer demos. The good news is that they should be turning 'em back in at the end of Oct. The bad news (at least for us) is that the demos are supposedly optioned to the max because they only give X5 demos to top execs at the dealerships. So, despite the "discount" they'll still be pretty pricey. Depending on your budget, and if you plan to lease, you might do better on an '03.