Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Toyota Prius Lease Questions

Comments

• nwdrewnwdrew Member Posts: 2
    the following is copied from the Toyota website. any idea why the numbers don't match?

Lease a new 2014 Prius Two Hybrid 1.8L 4-cyl (excludes Prius c and Prius v) for $179 a month for 24 months with $2,420 due at signing, which includes first month’s payment, $2,591 down payment, $1000 TFS Subvention Cash Reduction, $0 security deposit and $650 acquisition fee. Example based on model #1223. Optional equipment varies by region. Base MSRP including freight $25,250. Monthly payments of $179 total $4,296. Capitalized cost of $23,578 based on down payment and dealer participation, which may vary by dealer. Payment may vary depending on final transaction price. Lease-end purchase option is $16,698
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,058
    nwdrew said:

the following is copied from the Toyota website. any idea why the numbers don't match?

Lease a new 2014 Prius Two Hybrid 1.8L 4-cyl (excludes Prius c and Prius v) for $179 a month for 24 months with $2,420 due at signing, which includes first month’s payment, $2,591 down payment, $1000 TFS Subvention Cash Reduction, $0 security deposit and $650 acquisition fee. Example based on model #1223. Optional equipment varies by region. Base MSRP including freight $25,250. Monthly payments of $179 total $4,296. Capitalized cost of $23,578 based on down payment and dealer participation, which may vary by dealer. Payment may vary depending on final transaction price. Lease-end purchase option is $16,698

Best information I have is .00001 MF, $800 lease cash and 60% residual for 36 months, 12K miles per year.

I don't understand the difference in the numbers, either - the amount due at signing should be equal to or greater than the down payment amount.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 8
    ^ Is that $800 lease cash a nationwide offer?

My current Prius lease is ending and I'm planning to go to the dealership to lease a 2014 Prius 3, I'm just not sure what could be considered a "good" deal. According to Edmunds' lease calculator, the MF for my zip code is 0.00125, which is much higher than the MF Michaell and others have quoted on this thread.

If I manually put in the 0.00001 in that same calculator, my monthly payment goes down a good $25-30/month, inclusive of tax.

Any info on MF, RV and/or a "fair" capitalized cost estimate for the Prius Three would be really helpful!
    paroxysm said:

^ Is that $800 lease cash a nationwide offer?

My current Prius lease is ending and I'm planning to go to the dealership to lease a 2014 Prius 3, I'm just not sure what could be considered a "good" deal. According to Edmunds' lease calculator, the MF for my zip code is 0.00125, which is much higher than the MF Michaell and others have quoted on this thread.

If I manually put in the 0.00001 in that same calculator, my monthly payment goes down a good $25-30/month, inclusive of tax.

Any info on MF, RV and/or a "fair" capitalized cost estimate for the Prius Three would be really helpful!

Argh ... Toyota runs so many regional programs that have different MF and residual, us hosts can't keep up.

I looked at a couple of different regions and saw the .00001 MF, so I figured that was national. Not sure that even Edmunds' lease calculator has the most current information.

You might ... gasp! ... have to contact the dealer.

And, the residual value is, as the British say, a dog's breakfast. Toyota doesn't residualize all their options, and even the dealers struggle to figure out how to calculate a lease payment.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    nwdrew said:

The $1000 is money from Toyota and should be subtracted.

$2591 down
    +$179 1st payment
    +$650 acq.fee

-$1000 TFS Cash reduction

= $2420 Due at signing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Michaell said:

Argh ... Toyota runs so many regional programs that have different MF and residual, us hosts can't keep up.

I looked at a couple of different regions and saw the .00001 MF, so I figured that was national. Not sure that even Edmunds' lease calculator has the most current information.

And, the residual value is, as the British say, a dog's breakfast. Toyota doesn't residualize all their options, and even the dealers struggle to figure out how to calculate a lease payment.

Thanks Michaell!

I'm planning to go to the dealer tomorrow, hoping to get a good deal considering it's a holiday weekend.

When I got my first Prius, I was a newbie and negotiate the monthly payment rather than the actual cost of the car. How likely are they to reveal the MF or is there a more subtle way to bring it up during negotiations than "what money factor do you guys use?"
    paroxysm said:

Michaell said:

Thanks Michaell!

I'm planning to go to the dealer tomorrow, hoping to get a good deal considering it's a holiday weekend.

When I got my first Prius, I was a newbie and negotiate the monthly payment rather than the actual cost of the car. How likely are they to reveal the MF or is there a more subtle way to bring it up during negotiations than "what money factor do you guys use?"
    Nothing wrong with the direct approach - politely, of course.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• jay285jay285 Member Posts: 16
    For a Toyota Prius V with the Five package in Texas, what would the residual be on a 24/15? Also, is the residual higher if the advanced technology package included?
    jay285 said:

For a Toyota Prius V with the Five package in Texas, what would the residual be on a 24/15? Also, is the residual higher if the advanced technology package included?

.00001 and 70%.

Residual values on individual options are almost impossible to determine for Toyota.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

jay285 said:

.00001 and 70%.

Residual values on individual options are almost impossible to determine for Toyota.
    Thanks for the quick response!

I have a general question on the .00001 MF. Does Toyota post this number anywhere? I assume dealers are free to negotiate whatever they can get - it would be nice to reference a source when countering their offer.
    jay285 said:

Michaell said:

jay285 said:

.00001 and 70%.

I have a general question on the .00001 MF. Does Toyota post this number anywhere? I assume dealers are free to negotiate whatever they can get - it would be nice to reference a source when countering their offer.
    These numbers are not made public; how you let them know about the base rates is up to you to decide.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

jay285 said:

Michaell said:

jay285 said:

.00001 and 70%.

These numbers are not made public; how you let them know about the base rates is up to you to decide.
    That's what I thought. Thanks again for your help. You are a great resource!!!
  • atos2012atos2012 Member Posts: 86
    @Michaell what is the numbers in SoCA as of right now? 2015 Prius 2 24/12k/15/k/18k, 36/12k/15k/18k Thanks in advance.

** Saved Money - Earned Money **

atos2012 said:

@Michaell what is the numbers in SoCA as of right now? 2015 Prius 2 24/12k/15/k/18k, 36/12k/15k/18k Thanks in advance.

.00095 MF for both 24 and 36 month leases on 2015 Prius.

64% residual for 36/12. Subtract 2% for 15K. No 18K numbers available.

I can't find any 24 month residuals.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

jay285 said:

Michaell said:

jay285 said:

.00001 and 70%.

FYI - Talked with a Houston dealer about the residual on a 2014 Prius v FIVE with the advanced technology package (ATP). At a MSRP of $37674, the 24/12 residual was quoted at 58% and the 36/12 was quoted at 49%. ATP is about a $5,000 option and it doesn't look to have any residual value, which pretty much kills the deal.

I went to Toyota to negotiate a 2014 Prius 3 only to find out someone had beat me to their last 2014 Prius a few hours before. So they offered me a Prius V Three for $289. I said no without getting more info on the MF or RV but when I got home I thought $289 wasn't bad for a V Three.

Is the 0.00001 RV and 70% RV that Michaell said still applicable to the V Three in NY for 15k miles/yr?

The same dealer also offered me 2015 Prius Three at 0.0001 and 59% RV, that's an awful deal right? Is it possible to negotiate the MF they use to calculate the monthly pmt? He salesman made it seem like the MF is take it or leave it.
    paroxysm said:

I went to Toyota to negotiate a 2014 Prius 3 only to find out someone had beat me to their last 2014 Prius a few hours before. So they offered me a Prius V Three for $289. I said no without getting more info on the MF or RV but when I got home I thought $289 wasn't bad for a V Three.

Is the 0.00001 RV and 70% RV that Michaell said still applicable to the V Three in NY for 15k miles/yr?

The same dealer also offered me 2015 Prius Three at 0.0001 and 59% RV, that's an awful deal right? Is it possible to negotiate the MF they use to calculate the monthly pmt? He salesman made it seem like the MF is take it or leave it.

The MF is set by the finance company but can be inflated by the dealer for extra profit. Residual cannot be negotiated.

Prius V lease numbers are .00001 and 70% for 24 months 15K miles per year.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• roadrageeroadragee Member Posts: 135
    Hi.

What is the current MF / Residual for 2015 Prius PERSONA series 3 yr / 36k miles?

Thanks!
  • livegreenlivegreen Member Posts: 3
    for a 2015 Prius 2 in NoCal I've just been quoted from 2 dealers a 15,488 residual for 36k miles for 36 months, and from one dealer a money factor of 0.00095 and from another "0.0010 (tier 1)":
    a) what's "tier 1"?
    b) are those in the ballpark?
    c) Can we negotiate the dealers down?

B/c if 2 different quotes that means someone's padding something (I see you mentioned that there can be in a little for the dealer). BTW, these money factors are MUCH higher than Subaru is charging...There HAS to be a profit center in there!
    roadragee said:

Hi.

What is the current MF / Residual for 2015 Prius PERSONA series 3 yr / 36k miles?

Thanks!

.00095 and 64%

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

livegreen said:

for a 2015 Prius 2 in NoCal I've just been quoted from 2 dealers a 15,488 residual for 36k miles for 36 months, and from one dealer a money factor of 0.00095 and from another "0.0010 (tier 1)":
    a) what's "tier 1"?
    b) are those in the ballpark?
    c) Can we negotiate the dealers down?

B/c if 2 different quotes that means someone's padding something (I see you mentioned that there can be in a little for the dealer). BTW, these money factors are MUCH higher than Subaru is charging...There HAS to be a profit center in there!

.00095 is the base MF for the 2015 Prius this month. The other dealer is inflating the MF on you just a bit.

Tier 1 is the credit rating you would need to have to qualify for that best MF rate.

The MF cannot be negotiated any lower than the base rate.

MF vary wildly from one brand to another - hard to make an 'apples to apples' comparison.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Well seeing how a month ago ".00001 MF, $800 lease cash" they must be using a current MF of .00095 as a profit center.

Is it possible to negotiate dealers to chip in to either get you to sign a new lease or bring your old lease back in? (Esp as resale values for old cars seem pretty high right now...).
    livegreen said:

Well seeing how a month ago ".00001 MF, $800 lease cash" they must be using a current MF of .00095 as a profit center.

Is it possible to negotiate dealers to chip in to either get you to sign a new lease or bring your old lease back in? (Esp as resale values for old cars seem pretty high right now...).

Chip in for what? Lease numbers change month-to-month - influenced by lots of factors.

If you have a car, it is worth a certain amount to the dealer in trade, whether it's a lease vehicle or not. Not likely that the dealer will over allow on that value, as their intenton is to resell it for a profit to someone else.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

I meant chip in to a) get repeat business or b) return the car to them as opposed to selling to another dealer, on cars.com, carmax.com...
    Michaell said:

The MF is set by the finance company but can be inflated by the dealer for extra profit. Residual cannot be negotiated.

Thanks! Do you think I can negotiate a lower MF if they're charging me (for example) 0.0001 instead of 0.00001?
    paroxysm said:

Michaell said:

Thanks! Do you think I can negotiate a lower MF if they're charging me (for example) 0.0001 instead of 0.00001?
    No, MF cannot be negotiated to anything below the base rate.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Michaell said:

Yes, I understand that but what I meant was if the dealer is saying '0.00095 is the MF' but as you said, they're likely padding it because the base rate is 0.00001, is that 0.00095 MF negotiable? Unless I'm misunderstanding something :o
    paroxysm said:

Michaell said:

Yes, I understand that but what I meant was if the dealer is saying '0.00095 is the MF' but as you said, they're likely padding it because the base rate is 0.00001, is that 0.00095 MF negotiable? Unless I'm misunderstanding something :o
    Nope, I was the one with the issue ... I see what you are asking now.

Yes, you can negotiate the inflated MF to the base rate ... be polite but firm.

There are lots of Toyota dealers; I'm sure you can find one that will give you the base rate on a lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Great, thanks so much Michaell!
  • pugypugy Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    I know the 2014 Prius V Five 24/15 is .00001/70%
    Does this apply to the 2014 Prius Five as well?
    pugy said:

I know the 2014 Prius V Five 24/15 is .00001/70%
    Does this apply to the 2014 Prius Five as well?

Same MF, subtract 1% from residual.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• kbraz1kbraz1 Member Posts: 22
    What is current residual value and MF for Prius III in NY state? Thanks
    kbraz1 said:

What is current residual value and MF for Prius III in NY state? Thanks

What term and mileage?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

24 months and 12 k mileage
    kbraz1 said:

24 months and 12 k mileage

2014: .00001 MF and 69% residual

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. is this only for the 2014 model? What about 2015?
    kbraz1 said:

2015 model year has different numbers .. however, we don't yet have the December numbers for Toyota. Hopefully in a few days...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

kbraz1 said:

Looks like .00026 MF and 74% residual for 24mo, 12K/yr

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks. Another question - dealer tells me that $1000 cah back incentive is not applied to capital cost for leases, only for purchases. Is that true?
    kbraz1 said:

Thanks. Another question - dealer tells me that $1000 cah back incentive is not applied to capital cost for leases, only for purchases. Is that true?

It might be - use the "Car Research" tab at the top of the page to link to the most current incentives Edmunds is aware of.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks Michaell. Can you also tell me the residual and MF forPrius 3 for 36 mo/12k miles? Appreciate all the help
    kbraz1 said:

Thanks Michaell. Can you also tell me the residual and MF forPrius 3 for 36 mo/12k miles? Appreciate all the help

No 2014 Prius numbers for December - only Prius C and Prius V.

2015 Prius - .00001 and 64% for 36/12

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks Michaell. And what is MF and residual for 24/12 for 2015 Prius 3?
    kbraz1 said:

Thanks Michaell. And what is MF and residual for 24/12 for 2015 Prius 3?

74% and .00001

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

The dealers are all quoting MF of .00026, which must be the current standard Toyota rate. Do you think the dealers would be willing to negotiate the MF any lower than this, even down to .00001?
    kbraz1 said:

The dealers are all quoting MF of .00026, which must be the current standard Toyota rate. Do you think the dealers would be willing to negotiate the MF any lower than this, even down to .00001?

The Toyota MF is very regional ... and we don't have the data for all regions.

The base MF is the rate that the dealers must use as a minimum. While they can inflate it for extra profit, they cannot go below that number.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Thanks
  • bananaerobananaero Member Posts: 123
    Hello,
    What is the current MF and Residual for a 2015 Prius V for 10k mile/36 month lease? Are there any other terms that are more advantageous? Maybe 24 month? Any current incentives? Thanks!
    bananaero said:

Hello,
    What is the current MF and Residual for a 2015 Prius V for 10k mile/36 month lease? Are there any other terms that are more advantageous? Maybe 24 month? Any current incentives? Thanks!

Where are you located? Toyota lease numbers are highly regional.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• anoceranocer Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Hello!

What are the Residuals and MFs for a 24mo/36mo 12k miles on a 2015 Plug-in Hybrid Advanced in Southern California?

Are the numbers better in Iowa?

Any incentives or deals this month or coming up next month?

Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.