Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Low Tire Pressure Warning - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageLow Tire Pressure Warning - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

I jumped in our long-term 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 only to be greeted by a low tire pressure warning light.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    That much of a variance would probably mean there is a leak.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    It still amazes me that some cars apparently DON'T display individual tire pressures. They have the information, so all they need is some sort of simple display to show the PSI information. My 2006 Acura shows this information and I was surprised that a friend's much more expensive BMW X5 didn't.
  • juwujuwu Member Posts: 15
    39 psi! no wonder it has a rough ride.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Maybe you folks could have an actual human...like your fleet manager, for instance...check tires on your LT vehicles so that you don't have tires that are five pounds underinflated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited October 2014
    I like reading about real world experiences - it's a pain for whatever editor gets stuck with a low tire or an empty fuel tank or worse, but the rest of us poor slobs have to be our own fleet managers too.

And yeah, it's been a month since I checked my tire pressures, and my TPMS system just lights up when a tire is below whatever the default setting is. I'm probably 5 psi low too. :'(
  • zimtheinvaderzimtheinvader Member Posts: 580
    schen72 said:

It still amazes me that some cars apparently DON'T display individual tire pressures. They have the information, so all they need is some sort of simple display to show the PSI information. ...

The ones that do know the pressure and don't tell it are really annoying but the new 'thing' with some makes is to not have a sensor in the valve stem but to have a warning popup based on the abs/traction control system sensing that the wheel is rotating faster than the others as the diameter of the tire changes as the pressure drops.
    I'm usually for making things simpler so the idea of not having to mess with sensors on each wheel sounds good but just yesterday I had a similar situation to Mr. Oldham's. I pulled into a parking lot for a quick stop and the tire pressure alert sounded. But mine doesn't tell pressures or even which tire it is concerned about. I hopped out for a look and since it is hard to tell with lower profile tires when they are just a little low I was happy that I'd added the alert cap that flashes a red led when the pressure drops a certain amount. The left front was flashing so I checked the pressure in it and it was 30 (36 is the correct pressure). Now the fun question, was the pressure still dropping or was 30 where it was sitting for a good while? Ran my errand and checked the pressure before leaving and it was still at 30. Did a quick visual of the tire looking for anything lodged in it but as I drove off I knew the system wouldn't re-alert me if it dropped more so all the way to my next stop it was "does that feel like it is losing more pressure?" "oh, I hope it doesn't go flat on this stretch of road" "wonder if it is going flat faster?" At that moment I'd have been thrilled with a nice display showing that it was sitting right at 30 still.
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

The ones that do know the pressure and don't tell it are really annoying but the new 'thing' with some makes is to not have a sensor in the valve stem but to have a warning popup based on the abs/traction control system sensing that the wheel is rotating faster than the others as the diameter of the tire changes as the pressure drops.
    I'm usually for making things simpler so the idea of not having to mess with sensors on each wheel sounds good but just yesterday I had a similar situation to Mr. Oldham's. I pulled into a parking lot for a quick stop and the tire pressure alert sounded. But mine doesn't tell pressures or even which tire it is concerned about. I hopped out for a look and since it is hard to tell with lower profile tires when they are just a little low I was happy that I'd added the alert cap that flashes a red led when the pressure drops a certain amount. The left front was flashing so I checked the pressure in it and it was 30 (36 is the correct pressure). Now the fun question, was the pressure still dropping or was 30 where it was sitting for a good while? Ran my errand and checked the pressure before leaving and it was still at 30. Did a quick visual of the tire looking for anything lodged in it but as I drove off I knew the system wouldn't re-alert me if it dropped more so all the way to my next stop it was "does that feel like it is losing more pressure?" "oh, I hope it doesn't go flat on this stretch of road" "wonder if it is going flat faster?" At that moment I'd have been thrilled with a nice display showing that it was sitting right at 30 still.

I guess it saves the manufacturer a few bucks to go this route. In the past I've had a nail in the tire, and I would drive around with the PSI display and I could see if the tire was losing any pressure.
  • mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46

Lol I was thinking the same thing!
    juwu said:

39 psi! no wonder it has a rough ride.