Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

There Should Be an Uber Truck Service - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Ram
imageThere Should Be an Uber Truck Service - 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel Long-Term Road Test

Why isn't there already an Uber for pickups? Our 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel would get a ton of requests.

Read the full story here

Comments

• arbiterarbiter Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Why not just rent a truck from Home Depot?
  • bazjeepersbazjeepers Member Posts: 5
    Renting a truck is not free from Home Depot. Borrowing from a family member is free. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The slick way to do this would be to have an Uber truck owner meet you at Home Depot, load up, and follow you home. That saves you one trip back to return the truck. Bonus points if the driver is a gorilla who will do all the loading and unloading for you.
  • adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    Just buy a cheap, used truck. Insurance cost is minimal. If you only drive it when you need a truck you won't rack up a lot of miles so maintenance is cheap. So, you always have what you need when you need it. I bought my Ram 1500 new 11 years ago. It only has 100k miles on it, still runs like new and looks presentable and has been paid off for years. I guessing it has another 5-6 years of solid service left in it before anything major needs to be done to it.
  • arbiterarbiter Member Posts: 2
    @bazjeepers. True but the title of the article refers to the possibility of an "Uber Truck Service". The premise of that, and my comment, was directed to those who don't know anyone with a truck. I don't know what someone affiliated with such a service (even if there is one) would charge but I rented a truck from Home Depot to get paving stones to my house for $19.99.

Oh...and nothing is really ever "free". LOL.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    edited October 2014
    I always figured those "$19.99" Home Depot truck rentals would be at least twice that price after they add on fees and surcharges -- and I'm not even including taxes. If it's really just $19.99 + tax, then that is a pretty good deal.

Having said that, I am WAY more bullish on the idea of an "Uber for trucks" than some people here. There are PLENTY of use cases besides Home Depot where I can see a potential need for such a thing.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    They really are $19.99. And you can actually close the tailgate on a piece of 4X8 sheet goods, unlike the two most recent LT trucks with the toy cargo boxes.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    fordson1 said:

They really are $19.99. And you can actually close the tailgate on a piece of 4X8 sheet goods, unlike the two most recent LT trucks with the toy cargo boxes.

That's 2000 trips in a $40k truck. The new truck would be more convenient to have around, but 2000 trips is more than I'll do in a lifetime of Home Depot runs, especially those which require a truck to bring home the goods.

And since you mentioned the 4x8, my minivan can take that home with the hatch closed, and then haul 7 people around later on.

Renting the $19.99 truck seems like a pretty good option if you don't need one a lot.

• farvyfarvy Member Posts: 34
    I can also confirm it really is $20 to rent the pickup at Home Depot. That gets you 75 minutes. If you keep it longer than that, it is still not expensive. I've used it several times, including one time where it wasn't used for anything from Home Depot (they don't care). I used it to pickup some items at a furniture store to avoid an exorbitant delivery fee. Works great.
  • surferdude08surferdude08 Member Posts: 2
    There's an app for that, it's called Buddytruk.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buddytruk/id826283020?mt=8

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There you go - just in LA so far, it appears.

There's also #UberMovers in Nashville if you need warm bodies to move stuff.
  • surferdude08surferdude08 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah, according to TechCrunch they will be in New York soon too. Guess the rest of us have to wait..

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/14/buddytruk-is-a-sharing-service-like-lyft-for-moving/
  • bigpoppa22bigpoppa22 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    There is an Uber for trucks named GoShare that is launching in San Diego and NJ in February www.goshare.co . I'm thinking about driving for them. They have drivers with pickup trucks and vans on demand. Trailers are also available for bigger loads and its only $.99 per minute. Does anyone here have any experience working with them?