Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Window Exploding

romns121921romns121921 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Nissan
I didn't know if anyone else has had this issue. This weekend my passenger side window exploded while we were driving on the highway. There weren't any big trucks around that would have "thrown" a stone. Just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That has got to be scary. Can you tell whether it was directed inward or outward, i.e. into your Rogue or out of it?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • romns121921romns121921 Member Posts: 2
    The majority came in on me, but there are chips/scrapes all down the side of the vehicle from the glass, so not all of it came in.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I was thinking that a pressure differential might have triggered the break but if you have glass more or less equally divided between inside and out then I don't think it's a factor. (Chips and scrapes on the outside suggest a substantial amount of glass went outward.) It sounds like the glass simply shattered (it should not!) either due to internal defects or some applied stress (misaligned mountings or somesuch).

Has anyone else here experienced side windows shattering like this?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • rob147rob147 Member Posts: 1
    Three weeks ago we bought a 2009 Nissan Rogue. Yesterday, the rear, right window exploded while it was parked in the driveway. We are expecting a baby, and had the base of the car seat installed in the backseat -- it was a horrible feeling to see it full of shards of glass. It will only cost me $212 to fix, but I am going to contact Nissan (1-800-647-7261), and am looking into the Lemon Law statutes.
  • robp8robp8 Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Nissan Rogue was parked in the driveway, undriven for 7 hours. It was 8:30 pm last night and I was in the garage, I heard a semi-loud pop and looked up to watch the rear passenger side glass finish shattering. I do not have neighbors and there was absolutely nothing around that could have caused this. For the next 15 minutes the broken glass inside the car and my child's seat kept popping and making sounds. We have two young ones that sit in the back and we are now very hesitant to have them in the car. I took it to my local dealer today, so I will see what they say. It sounds like others have had this problem but only 1 report to safercars.gov. If you have a problem with glass exploding on your Rogue please report it. Hopefully Nissan won't pull a Toyota and hide this potential hazard.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    So what ever happened? Did they find out why? It sounds to me like it is a structural issue possibly depending on how the vehicle is parked? Or a faulty linkage mount assembly.

I had a Toyota Matrix that unless you were on level ground, the rear hatch didn't just close cleanly with one latch clunk. If it was on uneven grd, the latch would go ker- clunk. And I had never had more than 3 people ever (160 to 175 pounders) in the car prior. So there is a lot of chassis flex in todays modern cars.
    I know for a fact that the windshield is factored in to front crash technology and is an integral component (and its correct use of sealants and installation) to lessening cabin infringement.
  • jenn0127jenn0127 Member Posts: 1
    Glad I found this forum, and figured I should post my experience on here as well. Yesterday, I left work and got to my car only to discover that my driver-side window had shattered. I realize that I live in Georgia and it is really hot here, but it isn't hot enough for heat to do that. My car was parked between two others, and there's no sign that anything hit it. I've only had the car for 2 months, so this is very disappointing. I'm really glad that I wasn't inside when it shattered. I called the dealership I purchased it from in Maryland, and they, of course, have never heard of this happening before. I plan to call Nissan about this. I'm about to get it fixed, but I'll have to pay out of pocket for something that is clearly the manufacturer's fault. I really don't want to keep driving around in a car, worrying that another window could go at any moment. This is crazy.
  • carownlaf1carownlaf1 Member Posts: 1
    Same thing happened to our 2011 Nissan Rogue this morning. Very scary - glass all over the backseat. No previous damage on the rear window, but it happened as my husband rolled up the front window and the pressure changed in the car. He was driving in town and the temperature was around 72.
  • sqlmindsqlmind Member Posts: 2
    My passenger window exploded while I was driving. It didn't shatter from anything impacting it, it just went "POOF" and exploded.

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • sqlmindsqlmind Member Posts: 2
    Just happen today in my 2008 Nissan Titan. Passenger window just exploded as I was driving.
  • microdisneymicrodisney Member Posts: 2

This just happened to me yesterday on my 2012 Nissan Titan which was parked in front of my house. The passenger back quarter panel just shattered and looks like it shot out. The entire surrounding edge of the glass is all ragged. Got a quote for around 227 OTD but yikes..I'm the original owner with only 5000 miles.. was not expecting this to happen..

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Insurance claim?

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Back quarter panel breaks are often a sign of a thief trying to enter. Are you sure nothing is missing from the car?

• vignesjavignesja Member Posts: 1

Two days ago on 5/25/14, my new 2014 Nissan Rogue was "sitting" in my driveway and the passenger side front window shattered. My Husband was on the porch and heard it. He was in shock, as I am. Nothing hit the vehicle at all. It just shattered. Most of the glass shattered into the vehicle and some on the outside ground. Waiting for Nissan to call us back today. This is so scary. I am so nervous to drive it.

• cripplecreek12cripplecreek12 Member Posts: 1

was this covered by your insurance or the car dealer? this exact thing happened to my daughters 2013 Nissan Rogue?

• cpodellcpodell Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2014 Rogue and was driving on the interstate when my back passenger window popped and exploded into the car. There weren't any cars around me. Totally freaked me out to see my son's car seat filled with shattered glass. Luckily, he wasn't in the car. Dealership is fixing but I am very nervous to drive especially since there seems to be a lot of this problem.
  • uioincuioinc Member Posts: 1
    The tempered driver side window of my new 2014 Nissan Rogue exploded outward while sitting in my driveway on the first really cold night of fall. The broken glass was on the ground outside the vehicle. The car was unlocked so doubtful that it was a break in attempt, and there was absolutely no sign of vandalism or a projectile of any sort. Definitely seems linked to a flaw in the glass with the annealing or tempering process. Nissan and the dealership would not admit that there was a manufacturing defect of any sort, and my insurance had to pay the repair cost. Just hope that none of the rest of my car windows made in that batch decide to spontaneously explode on me or my kids!
  • easan1973easan1973 Member Posts: 1
    exact thing happened today in Calgary Alberta, Canada(October 15, 2015) while my wife was driving her 2013 Rogue the vehicle back passenger window exploded. My daughter was sitting in the back seat when this happened and my wife first reaction was someone shot her vehicle. The family was in shock and took it to the dealer and also spoke to Nissan Canada, they weren't very helpful at all and didn't even bother looking into the issue. All they told us, they will fix it for $800. Little frustrated with their service, but it doesn't seem like there is much you could do. My last Nissan vehicle for life.

I have a 2014 Rogue and was driving on the interstate when my back passenger window popped and exploded into the car. There weren't any cars around me. Totally freaked me out to see my son's car seat filled with shattered glass. Luckily, he wasn't in the car. Dealership is fixing but I am very nervous to drive especially since there seems to be a lot of this problem.
  • costa61costa61 Member Posts: 1
    It happened with me today Nov 30th 2017 while I was driving my 2016 Nissan Rogue in Atlanta, Ga. the left back window just exploded, it was so scary and I am glad I did not lose the control. What’s is going on with these Nissan cars?
  • swdnshellswdnshell Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this. I noticed I have a different model though, but I figured I should document it. My versa note and I were cruising down the highway, when I heard the same thing, a pop and the entire driver side window just shattered over me. I was so shocked, I honestly don't know if anyone was driving beside me or not. Thankfully no major damage other than a few cuts on my hands, but it was truly terrifying.
  • Savvymom3Savvymom3 Member Posts: 1
    Omg I can't believe I found this. My mother in law has a Nissan Rogue and was driving to a doctor's appointment last week and she too heard what was a loud pop and her driver side window had exploded. Glass went all over her and behind her seat. Scared her half to death. She has a 2009.
  • Pepluv2Pepluv2 Member Posts: 1
    Very interesting to find out how many people driving the Nissan Rogue have had exploding windows. The passenger window behind the driver suddenly exploded last Thursday as I was driving on the interstate. At first, I thought someone had shot the window out, as it sounded just like a gun shot! However, the state trooper who responded did not find any trace of a bullet. I have had windshields both front and back crack and bust....but, nothing sounded like this noise! The glass replacement guy said it appeared the window exploded....most of the millions of pieces of glass were on the backseat and rear floorboard. Very scary thing to happen....and, do not understand why?!!
  • tmaj01tmaj01 Member Posts: 1
    It's not just the Rogue. I have a 2018 Murano SL and it happened to me two weeks ago. I was driving down the street and the rear passenger window on the driver's side, right behind my head, exploded for no reason. I heard a loud boom and then glass falling into my back seat. There was absolutely no explanation for it, so I googled it and found this site where the exact same thing has happened to all of you. I contacted Nissan North America, who called me back two weeks after the incident to tell me that they were no longer investigating my case due to "lack of evidence". They suggested I call my insurance company to file a claim to repair the shattered window. Really Nissan? It looks like this has been happening to people for at least the last ten years. Nissan has to know they have a problem here, and when it happens, they should take care of it. I've purchased three Nissans in the last 15 years and needless to say, I will not be buying another one. I will be trading my current one very soon!
  • danjdodanjdo Member Posts: 1
    2018 Pathfinder here. Same thing happened. It seems to be the passenger side rear window that is a main common thread here. We thought someone had broke the window but strongly suspect is spontaneously shattered and fell inward.
  • GeorginaGeorgina Member Posts: 1
    2018 Nissan Rogue. Today I entered the car, shut the door and the back window exploded. Part of the shattered window remained at the bottom area so I don't believe anyone tried to climb in. It was parked in my driveway; nothing moved or taken. I hadn't driven it for a few days and it wasn't that hot outside. Some glass went outward and some inward. It is still under warranty but Nissan said they don't cover windows.
  • dhjoedhjoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2019 Nissan Rogue. The passenger side front glass has spider web cracks. I have no idea how this happened. There are no signs around the window track of someone trying to break into the car. Has anyone else had this happen?
  • tobytoadtobytoad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2020 rogue just made first payment and had leather seats added, was driving home from work at night heard a noise sounded like a bomb going off then I heard glass crumbling looked behind me and my drivers side back window had exploded and like many of you I thought I had been shot at, I pulled over shaking and started to look for evidence of a gun shot like where a bullet would have exited but nothing I had to pull the rest of the window off piece by piece as it crumbled into my door and all over my leather seats the best I could before driving home I then called the police just in case they had any other calls but it was not a gun shot no rocks or bb's or pellets...I spent 3 hours next morning trying to clean the glass out of my car as it was EVERYWHERE like a glass bomb went off and trying to cover the window so I could get to work..... I then found this forum and also another forum that mostly has 2021 and 2022 new rogue's that its the big back windshield that exploded there IS most certainly a cover up going on with this problem as it starts back in 2009 at least and continues today this is so dangerous what if someone was sitting in the back seat! Anyone have any suggestions as to what actions we can take please post here or any other Nissan forum, I also think I will be posting on twitter this has been going on for like 12 years !!!!