Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Objects Detected on Road - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in BMW
imageObjects Detected on Road - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds' long-term 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo can alert about objects on the roadway, via warnings on the instrument panel and navigation screen.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Its just letting you know that there were other "objects" called "cars" on the road. What a silly thing to have. Is that really going to help you to avoid that "object".
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    Yeah, that may be one of the strangest new car technologies I've heard of. Could be helpful for a deer or animal, but in stop-and-go traffic? Hmm
  • Options
    bimmerjaybimmerjay Member Posts: 28
    It's part of the enhanced real-time traffic software. Essentially a SigAlert or other traffic alert was issued by a reporting agency that there is debris on a nearby roadway. The nav system realizes it's in your path ahead and gives you this (very) urgent message. It can also tell you things like the road was just closed, there is a serious accident, or I've had it alert me to a car fire. It shows more details of the alert and where it is on the navigation map.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    bimmerjay said:

It's part of the enhanced real-time traffic software. Essentially a SigAlert or other traffic alert was issued by a reporting agency that there is debris on a nearby roadway. The nav system realizes it's in your path ahead and gives you this (very) urgent message. It can also tell you things like the road was just closed, there is a serious accident, or I've had it alert me to a car fire. It shows more details of the alert and where it is on the navigation map.

OHHHH! Now that makes sense.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    It's not going to be long before one of you guys rear-ends someone because you are distracted by taking a picture of an instrument cluster to document a warning message, mileage milestone or (ironically) something shiny that you think could be distracting. I'm surprised that Edmunds lets you do it. I just hope no one is hurt when it happens.
  • Options
    banhughbanhugh Member Posts: 315
    Another German to English translation failure...