Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• edward53edward53 Member Posts: 113
    edited January 2014

The S type Jag is not being made any longer. I believe that it shared the LS platform. It was never offered on a Ford model other than the discontinued 40K T Bird roaster. Now the X type Jaguar was based on a very badly modified CD132 Ford platform. As for the Lincoln LS ,the reason why it was discontinued was because the platform that it shared with the Jaguar S type was deemed too expensive for a Lincoln . Ford would have had to add about 4-5 K to the list of the Lincoln LS to make the LS profitable and that was definitely not in keeping with Lincoln's value pricing strategy. That's why the LS was dropped and we got the Mazda based platform MKZ.

• Yes, the S Type and the LS were very much differentiated, even though on the same architecture. They did not share a windshield or any glass, any body panel or interior panel. Park them side by side and there was no way to see a family relationship, such as how the interiors of the LS and Thunderbird shared parts. They had different engines.

Lincoln intends to get back to that sort of differentiation. The MKC will not share greenhouse parts with the Escape, as the MKZ still does with the Fusion. That sort of "subterfuge" is done going forward, except for a model like the Navigator, where most manufacturers and consimers find it acceptable for these really big pigs to share some body panels and glass.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

the LS and the Jaguar Type S shared some engines I believe (the V6) and transmissions ( a troublesome unit).

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

The engine blocks were the same but the top ends were unique to each mfr. The tranny was the same and did have some issues.

Lincoln is not differentiated from a Ford if they both share the same platforms. I bet that one will see similarities in any Lincoln model with a comparable Ford model simply because a FWD platform's hard points will dictate how much style differentiation can be attained. That is one of the pitfalls of platform sharing . Another is, that performance wise, the Lincoln when pushed to its limits is when the shortcomings of its Ford platform will show regardless of whatever suspension tuning the Lincoln may have to try to hide that fact. As long as Lincoln is on its value pricing strategy there is no reason for Lincoln to be produced on anything but a Ford platform which in turns means that there is nothing really special about a Lincoln that one cannot have with its lower priced Ford counterpart. As long as selling around 75 -85 k units a year is acceptable for Ford to make a profit on Lincoln then there is no reason to change strategy .

There is no reason Ford can't do both. Shared platforms on the lower end and more unique platforms on the high end. They're just starting on the lower end because that's where the volume and the profits are and it's the easiest. They're obviously taking the Audi/Lexus approach which of course is perfectly ok for them but when Lincoln does it then it's all wrong.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

"Chief Engineer Elaine Bannon said buyers will experience full "win-win" in the switch from V8 to V6 power. The EcoBoost engine will generate at least 370 horsepower, compared to the relatively mellow 310 hp coming from today's 5.4-liter V8. Torque also will be substantially upgraded from the current V8's 365 pound-feet to "at least" 430 lb-ft with the new Navigator's EcoBoost V6.

Backed by a standard six-speed automatic transmission, Lincoln also is promising the EcoBoost V6 will deliver a meaningful fuel economy gain over the combined 16 mpg (14 mpg city/20 mpg highway) the current rear-wheel-drive Navigator achieves and the combined 15 mpg (13 city/18 highway) for four-wheel-drive Navigators."

2015 Lincoln Navigator Restyled, Shifts to EcoBoost Power

• It is too bad that due to tight budgets and lack of foresight, Lincoln is in the position once again of changing the front clip, rear styling details and interior of the 1998 Navigator, introduced in fall of 1997. 2015 will make 18 model years that Ford/Lincoln has used the same hard points, same windshield and pillars, same doors, etc. Although the upgrades are both significant and welcome (especially the Ecoboost), it also seems like Lincoln is throwing in the towel on trying to dominate the large luxury SUV class as it did in the first few years of Navigator sales. Now the model is more an afterthought.

Maybe that is ok, given how the class as a whole has shrunk and will continue to do so. Still, the Escalade, which early on had to play catch-up, has issued a completely new body with every generation, and that played at least a small part in capturing sales away from Lincoln. That a very expensive Lincoln SUV still uses the same windshield and front door glass of the late 1990s F150 may not be recognized by many, but the subliminal effect is that the thing looks old compared to most new vehicles.

That said, IMHO, that front clip is one of the best interpretations so far of the split wing grill. That alone should bump sales over the previously odd-looking front end.

In the end though, this update means that the Navigator is saddled with its original 1990s look for several more years to come.

Not exactly, Gregg. This is a timing issue. This refresh was ready to go previously but Ford had not yet decided if they were even going to keep the Navi and Expy. They were waiting to see what happened with the 2015 F150 since going forward they would be sharing that platform if they stayed around. Now that they've been given the green light for a new Expy and Navi on the 2015 F150 platform they went ahead and released the refresh. It's not a huge improvement but it is a considerable improvement over the current one. More importantly it will eliminate the old 4.6L and 5.4L engines allowing them to be retired and providing a fuel economy boost for CAFE.

If nothing else this will provide a nice upgrade for current owners keeping them in the Lincoln fold until the all new one is ready in 3 years. This isn't exactly a growing market segment.

Rumor has it the all new Navi will go after Range Rover at a much higher price point, obviously with the aluminum body and other F150 improvements.

• Glad to hear that the new Expedition/Navigator is coming in a couple of years. This refresh should help current low sales from going down to nothing, and if it is going to take 2-3 more years for a fully revamped Nav, then this refresh is crucial. Meanwhile, even it will still elicit catcalls among the auto press comments, it will have the Ecoboost (more power, better mileage) and it will finally have the family look.

Going after Land Rover or Range Rover would be awesome, but even if it ends up doing an Escalade and using F150 body parts, it will still be an improvement by light years. It could leapfrog over Escalade if it has a completely unique body like the MKC is getting.

It desperately needs a new interior. The Escalade is much nicer still. But this isn't a big seller and will do just fine until the new one arrives.

• Lincoln has now seen some sales increases with the MKZ and MKC (although the MKX still outsells the C).. Cadillac for all its well received vehicles is struggling to stay even. Cadillac has grabbed all its low hanging fruit, and now Lincoln is doing the same.

The luxury arena is becoming more and more crowded with many more models but not that many more buyers overall. Cadillac will continue its onslaught, despite hitting a recent sales wall. The CT6 will aim for BMW 7, Mercedes S Class and Audi A8 among others. There is talk Cadillac may develop two models ABOVE the CT6, which means it may eventually want to play in Maserati and even Bentley territory. Two more crossovers are planned to bracket the next generation SRX (which will become the XT4 or something like that).

Some of the Cadillac slowdown must be attributed to some serious price increases in the past few years. Cadillac intends to stay with a more expensive CTS (probably to become the CT4), rather than cut prices to increase sales. Overall, I think their strategy is to emulate Audi, BMW and Mercedes, all of whom offer dozens of models for sale, rather than the handful that the Americans offer.

Lincoln needs to get the new MKX here ASAP and they don't need me to tell them that. The new MKS is unfortunately still two model years down the road. But that leaves more time to get it right. The MKT also needs a total redesign or a deep six. To have gone from the concept to the enormous fat pig station wagon reality was an unfathomable decision. But I have beaten that pig to death too often. Sorry.

What do you guys think of the never built MKL concept?

In any event, every time Lincoln slowly introduces a new model like the MKC, you see a bunch of other solid entries...Lexus NX, Audi Q3, Mercedes GLA, Land Rover Discovery Spor (LR2 replacement)t, the proposed BMW front drive X1...it's competitive out there!

Meanwhile, off topic, did you notice that Chrysler Group came within 10,000 units of Ford Motor Company sales in September. How did they do that? Dodge saw a slight decrease in sales, but Jeep, Maserati and Ram soared, while Fiat and Chrysler also saw increased sales.

Did you see Caddy's new leader ranting like a lunatic on Facebook? They're going after the big boys and they'll be spending obscene amounts of cash to get there. Bespoke platforms for super expensive super low volume big sedans that can't possibly sell more than a couple hundred per month if that much. It's like they gave Cadillac a blank check and told them to go be BMW which would be fine if Cadillac could actually get buyers for those vehicles. ATS and CTS are not doing great as it is and anything more expensive will do far worse no matter how good the car really is. Did they not learn their lesson with the XLR? Or ELR?

Of course enthusiasts will applaud them for building great vehicles - until they go bankrupt again.

Lincoln is still a slow work in progress. There are a couple of new vehicles but not sure what they will be yet. Rumors of a Mustang based Lincoln persist but nothing tangible to report. MKC is still supply constrained. One dealer says the AWD models are turning over in 4 days and FWD in 7 days. We'll have to see where sales even out - I'm guessing at least 3K/month and maybe as high as 5K.

I think they either had some internal problems and/or had to make some directional changes which is delaying some projects. It's also obvious Ford is not willing to write Lincoln a blank check so progress will be slower but more profitable in the end.

Yes it's a little frustrating but they're at least holding their own with the MKC and MKZ until the new stuff does get here.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Nimble they're not.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    No they're not. Part of the problem is they're trying to fix the dealer network experience which has long lead times. But I think there was a change in direction between when they started the Lincoln rebuild and now. The end result will probably be better but will probably take even longer. There really is no rush, as much as it pains us to keep waiting and griping about it.

It looks like Ford is about to re-enter the supercar realm with a GT successor that will also race at LeMans. If so I would expect Lincoln to get some high performance vehicles of its own.
    "While Lincoln car sales were down sharply last month, with the MKZ falling 27.4% and the MKS down 44.0%, the new MKC CUV added 1,763 units.

That helped boost Lincoln’s total sales 7.8% on a DSR basis to 7,257, the brand’s highest September volume since September 2010’s 7,510."

Funny how SUVs keep saving car companies (Porsche anyone?)

Lincoln Posts Best September in Four Years, but Ford Declines (Wards Auto)
    All Lincolns are nothing more than Fords with a different body and a better interior . Heck they're just like the gaudy Stutzes of the 1970' and 80's. They too were built on a cheap mass produced car's chassis.
    The Stutze Motor Car Co would send a Pontiac Grand Prix chassis to Italy and have a kit car body and interior attached to it and then charge over 35K for what was and still is the world' s most expensive Pontiac Grand Prix .
    I have read in some indusrty reports that Mulally wamted to dump Lincoln. I also hear some reports that the fate of Lincoln is still on the rocks. Perhaps that is why Lincoln is slow to do do anything that would cost Ford a tidy sum to develope products for Lincoln.
    Lexus' best selling models are the ES and RX both based on cheap mass produced car chassis, and probably the most expensive. This isn't some esoteric engineering exercise - the name of the game is profit. Cadillac is doing what you're espousing building expensive new bespoke and/or low volume platforms and it's not going to work. Just look at ATS/CTS sales compared to the old CTS by itself. You have to know your market.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I wonder if Nissan's Infinity makes any money?
    edited October 2014
    berri said:

I wonder if Nissan's Infinity makes any money?

An excellent question. So far as I know, only the Infinitys are RWD. I think all of the more pedestrian Nissan's are FWD.

Go figure.
    They're RWD now but only the Q50 and QX60 are above 1000 units per month. They're also global models and share a lot of the platform components between models.

Lincoln can do RWD too but not on models like the MKC. Not necessary and too expensive by comparison. They'll need too share the platform with multiple models and a few Fords too. And sell them globally.
    The RX is built on the Highlander chassis. But Toyota packs value into the Lexus, and lots of improvements. Obviously it's enough that people will fork up the extra $$$.
    And if Ford does the same thing they'll be just as successful with those types of vehicles. The new MKX should mirror the MKC as far as features, style and differentiation. There is still room above that for higher performance CUVs and SUVs (Aviator, Navigator) on different platforms if necessary.
    Judging from airport traffic, the Navigator is certainly popular as livery vehicles.
    Current rumor is the new Lincoln Aviator will be a RWD crossover.
  • Yes, I saw that rumor in TTAC.they also said that the new Taurus did not test well in clinics and that it may be dead in the water.

I heard no new Taurus too but no explanation whether that meant it continued on the current platform (at least for police duty I'm sure) or it would be replaced. There are rumors of RWD sedans for Lincoln and Ford presumably based on the new Aviator platform but no concrete info. Another poster on another forum heard that Explorer and Aviator would go to a RWD CUV platform independently from TTAC. Otherwise I wouldn't believe anything TTAC says about Ford especially about having inside sources given their current relationship with Ford.

Ford is certainly keeping all this tight to the vest whatever they're planning. Full sized sedans are a dwindling market for sure so they wouldn't be losing much if they ditched it altogether for more exciting products elsewhere in the lineup.

There is supposed to be a Taurus on CD4 to be sold in China. I think China is going to be providing the added volume to make a lot of things more viable than they would have been before. We'll see. I'm still cautiously optimistic about Lincoln's future direction but I'm as tired as anyone of waiting around for it.
  • Right now CUVs are the hot sellers. One day they may go the way of coupes, minivans and large SUVs in that their market share may dwindle. It will be many years before that happens, so Lincoln's focus on CUVs will serve them better than trying to save the MKS by updating it. There are SO many luxury sedans in the market that a new one isn't going to get a lot of purchase...unless it is truly innovative and outstanding in its niche, like the Tesla S.
    Look at the MKC vs. the Escape. There are no similarities at all. They even widened the wheel track by an inch or two. Same for the interior. Even the most jaded reviewers admit it's basically a new vehicle with none of the leftover Ford bits like before. That's what you can expect going forward. Even the current MKZ was done before the new direction so MKC is the only one you can go by (and the new MKX which is due out next year).

CUVs are the hot ticket right now and can also command premium prices. When you're selling Navigators and Escalades for $75K there is a lot of room for a $60K CUV.

I heard Explorers are going for $50K. That leave more room for more expensive platforms (but not bespoke single vehicle platforms - that's still way too expensive. Something Cadillac apparently hasn't figured out).
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "That leave more room for more expensive platforms (but not bespoke single vehicle platforms - that's still way too expensive. Something Cadillac apparently hasn't figured out)."

I'm sure GM isn't blind to platform sharing, since they did it for decades across brands for decades before GM's bankruptcy, and also since the bankruptcy. For example, the next Chevy Camaro will share Cadillac's ATS and CTS platform, as will the next Impala SS (or whatever the sedan that's currently imported from Australia will be called. Also, I've read that Buick may introduce a model using this platform.

An important strategic difference between Cadillac and Lincoln is that several years ago, before the bankruptcy, Cadillac decided to convert most of its new platforms to RWD, to better compete with BMW, Mercedes, Lexus and Infiniti. The XTS sedan and SRX crossover are exceptions, since they still ride on GM's old, but updated, FWD platforms (similar to what Toyota does with its ES sedan and RX crossover). Interestingly, Chrysler and Dodge also converted their 300, Charger and Challenger to RWD several years ago. All offer AWD versions, of course.

Lincoln, by contrast, has taken the Audi and Acura approach, by adapting mass-market Ford Division platforms to its luxury brand. Besides different styling, features, warranties and dealerships, Audi and, to a lesser extent Acura, differentiate their luxury brands from their mass-market VW and Honda brands by greater emphasis on AWD (Quattro and SH-AWD, respectively).

It should be noted that Cadillac's newer RWD models have gotten better reviews than Lincoln's newer models. The question that remains unanswered is whether Lincoln will be able to succeed, as Audi has. Acura's crossovers and minivan are successful, but its sedans remain a work-in-progress. Thus far, Lincoln has been less successful than Acura, across model lines.

If Cadillac's strategy is ultimately successful, China, and globalism in general, will play an important role, by making greater economies of scale possible.

While Cadillac's RWD models have gotten excellent reviews from the automotive press, consumers haven't shown the same enthusiasm, if you go by sales. Most BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus buyers don't cross-shop Cadillac in the U.S. Cadillac lost its "standard of the world" image decades ago, but aims to eventually re-establish its reputation as the leading luxury brand. It'll be very difficult, but not impossible. Lincoln, which was once the #2 luxury brand, has been even less successful than Cadillac in the marketplace.

Based on their current strategies, I think Cadillac will continue to outsell Lincoln. I don't know about profitability since, as far as I know, GM and Ford don't disclose profitability by brand.
    If you think about how much Cadillac has spent the last decade on new platforms (some being shared now) and what they're planning to do (the new Uber sedan is getting its own new platform e.g.) compared to current sales figures I don't see how Cadillac can possibly be profitable now. Don't forget ELR which currently has $20K discounts. They're spending money on things with limited ROI opportunities. And while technologically they may be making good vehicles, they're not selling. You can build a better BMW but you can't force BMW buyers to buy Cadillacs (or Lincolns). Cadillac is building an uber sedan that can't possibly sell more than a couple hundred per month (if that much) yet they don't have a single regular hybrid vehicle. ELR is a complete boondoggle. The lowly MKZ is outselling both the ATS and CTS last time I checked and it's on a much cheaper platform.

You have to know your market. It appears Lincoln is ready to enter the $50K+ market and probably with some RWD/higher performance offerings but they started with higher volume cheaper vehicles like the MKC and I'm sure they will use a shared platform with multiple vehicles reducing development costs whereas Cadillac seems to want to start with a dedicated platform and extend it later. Which might be ok if GM's margins were huge and they were flush with cash and they weren't coming out of a recent bankruptcy. I think they're mortgaging the farm on these new products that don't appear to have a really good business case for long term profitability.

Lincoln's plan isn't as sexy but it's way more sound financially speaking. Ford says Lincoln is profitable today which isn't hard to believe considering the amount of platform sharing and higher ATPs.

I think the answer is somewhere between where Lincoln and Cadillac are today and most of the growth will come from the Asian brands not the German brands.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600

"...the new Uber sedan is getting its own new platform...ELR is a complete boondoggle. The lowly MKZ is outselling both the ATS and CTS last time I checked and it's on a much cheaper platform."

You make a good point regarding ROI, but let's remember that the strategic decisions that we're discussing here weren't made by Mary Barra. let's give this new CEO a chance to prove herself. Also, with GM's continuing success in China the RWD platforms may yet turn out to be a wise long-term ROI strategic deecision.

Are you sure the uber sedan will have it's own platform? I read that it'll share the ATS/CTS platform, but you can't always believe what you read.

I agree that the ELR is a flop. It's gotten decent reviews, but it's overpriced, even after the cost cut.

It's interesting that the MKZ is outselling the ATS and CTS combined.

Maybe Lincoln will find a way to utilize the new Mustang platform. It would make sense.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    akirby said:

The lowly MKZ is outselling both the ATS and CTS last time I checked and it's on a much cheaper platform.

Sales stats YTD thru September (source: goodcarbadcar.net):

Lincoln MKZ 26,769
    Cadillac CTS 22,921
    Cadillac ATS 22,535

So individually the Lincoln outsells each; taken together, it comes up well short.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• You implied above, Allen, that MKZ was outselling ATS and CTS combined. Obviously, hpmctorque got that impression from what you wrote earlier. Thank you for clarifying in your last message.

Yes, MKZ slightly outsells individual ATS or CTS this year so far, but so what? In September, Cadillac sold 2239 ATSs and 2282 CTSs (which are more expensive than MKZs), while Lincoln sold 2176 MKZs. Obviously both Cadillacs are selling at least as well as MKZ and there are TWO of them. So this at least doubles Cadillac sales compared to Lincoln.

In 2013, Cadillac sold 38,319 ATSs and 32,343 CTSs. MKZ sold 32,361 units in 2013. Yea, MKZ. A better showing than the previous generation, but this is a difficult market with tons of excellent cars in it.

Now let's talk XTS v. MKS. September: XTS sold 1979. Not so good. MKS sold 457. Laughable.

We could also compare Escalade v. Navigator sales. No comparison. Or SRX v. MKX.

The point is, Cadillac, like Lincoln, is trying to come back from a huge fall in the luxury arena. Meanwhile, new and good luxury models are being added worldwide so quickly that even when admittedly excellent products like the ATS and CTS barely keep pace. You already see and acknowledge that "old Lincoln" designed the MKZ. And it didn't follow it up with three more products within a year like the competition now does. Choices are perhaps far too many, but Audi, Mercedes and BMW found success by offering many more models than anyone else.

Cadillac may not succeed (although they have a leg up in the market that really matters now: China), but they are giving it the old college try. If they build momentum in Asia, it does not matter if sales are not that spectacular in the US. This is why Buick is still around. It is hot in China.

Lincoln, as you agree, has been slow slow slow for years. The best news so far is the CUV proposed off the next Ford Explorer, which will be RWD. I have hopes for Lincoln now. But I have no need to denigrate what Cadillac is doing at the same time. Except for the ELR. Geez. What a stupid effing thing. If they were going to charge that much for it, they either needed to make it a four door, or better yet, a four door jacked up a couple inches and called a CUV.
    edited October 2014
    Perhaps China will be Cadillac's Valhalla? Maybe Lincoln can join them? China's GDP is now larger than the USA.
    I never said "combined" so I'm not sure why that was assumed. My point was simply that Cadillac is spending billions trying to be BMW and it's not resulting in more sales. They replaced one successful vehicle with 2 on a new platform and still have the same amount of sales. What did they accomplish? And now they want to build an even bigger and more expensive sedan that will sell in miniscule numbers on a NEW platform? How does that even remotely make business sense?

It's easy to overlook the business aspect if you like the vehicles. And the vehicles themselves are fine. I just don't think they're being smart about where they're spending their money these days and in the long run it's going to hurt them.
    As an example - if they had not done anything to the CTS - it would be selling 5K per month on a paid for platform. One car to make, no new platform costs and 5K sales per month. Instead they built a new platform and then built not one but two new vehicles on that platform and for all that investment they now have - drum roll - 5K sales. And why did they do that? Because they want to be BMW and BMW has both a 3 and a 5 series. But BMW buyers don't buy Cadillacs (or Lincolns).
  • Sorry, but the old CTS was not going to sell 5,000 a month. Cars need to be extensively updated and renewed regularly to keep sales in this competitive world. For all that investment, they are building not only sales (remember that they are still trouncing Lincoln), but a world reputation. They are poised to do well in China, and remember, that is where the growth is. Besides that, the CTS has moved upmarket, which generally means fewer sales for any vehicle, but bigger profits on each one.

Lincoln has dithered for years and years trying to do a luxury brand without investing gobs of money. If Cadillac had taken Lincoln's route, I'd bet a great deal of money they would have Lincoln level sales now. This is an environment where every manufacturer has to claw their way to any new sales conquests against established brands. Look at the Audi Q3. It is just introduced and already trouncing the sales of the MKC, a vehicle that is at least as good. (Of course Ford needs to stop putting 6 speed transmissions in everything when the other luxury brands have 7, or more usually 8 or 9 now.)

You have argued for years that Cadillac is using a poor business plan. I respectfully disagree. Cadillac's fortunes and reputation had fallen as far as Lincoln's, and it has taken them many years and lots of investment to earn back their respect. That they have now done. Cadillac may not recover to be the "Standard of the World," but they do understand that the competition is a moving target moving very fast. Sales are not as good as they would like, but usually 2 to 3 times what Lincoln moves. Plus, no one is heaping any accolades upon Lincoln vehicles after all these years of changing tactics.

Even the well received MKC is merely competitive with a lot of fine vehicles in that category (GLA, NX, Q3, etc). MKC isalso borrowing some sales from MKX, as happens with any brand. Should they combine the two? I think not.

Don't attack Cadillac for doing things that improve its reputation, keep sales from sliding further, and increase its chances of domination in China. Let's hope the tight-lipped Lincoln team is now going their own way, with some real surprises in store. A RWD/AWD CUV could really give it a leg up.
    Nicely put.

My brief love affair with Lincoln is long since history. It's interesting to watch from afar.

I'll never own another American-built vehicle.
    So as long as they build cars you like it doesn't matter whether they're actually making money or not or whether they can stay in business long term? Got it.
  • No, that is not what I said. At all. I don't wish to buy a Cadillac, but I do wish to acknowledge their effort. You will not get my point.

You think you know what will keep Cadillac in business long term better than they do. You have no inside information, only a strongly held opinion.

Cadillac already manufactures the XTS and ATS in China, with the CTS to start soon. Which Lincolns are manufactured there? China slaps big tariffs on imported cars.

I have no idea if Cadillac's plan will work out long-term. You don't either. But the companies doing the best in the luxury arena are pouring huge sums into new models all the time. Luxury sales are profitable. Audi is a cash cow for VW.

Meanwhile, you think Cadillac would be better off with an aging and less expensive previous generation CTS, rather than pushing ahead with model range expansion and moving upmarket. It is better to aim high and miss than to aim low and hit.

Of course some brands aren't going to survive in this changing world. Lincoln has proven that cautious gets you nowhere fast. China consumers have a lot of say in how this will go down.
    You know what happens when you aim high and miss? You lose billions and you go bankrupt or you put your parent company in a bad financial position. Sound familiar?

New platforms are expensive. New platforms for one vehicle that cannot possibly sell more than a few hundred vehicles per month can only be justified with exorbitant prices which Cadillac buyers have not shown they're willing to pay. Look at the XLR. Look at what happened to CTS sales when the price went up. There are certain brands that can charge $100K+. Cadillac and Lincoln aren't among them. Ford understands that. It's not a wise investment of money or resources.

Look at the ELR. How much did it cost to develop that one-off vehicle? How much did they make on that boondoggle?

Cadillac could do well in the $40K - $80K market with the right products and platforms. Crossovers are hot right now and they only have one? Lincoln is planning to have 3 all built on shared platforms. Lincoln has one hybrid now and will probably have them on multiple models under the "green label" initiative. Why? Because they sell like hotcakes. Cadillac decides to do the ELR. Which one makes money?

Please explain the advantage of replacing a single vehicle selling 5K/month with 2 new vehicles on a new platform that together only sell 5K/month? Why would you build a new platform for a $100K+ uber sedan with potential sales of 200/month max instead of adding another crossover that could be sold for $50K-$60K and be built on an existing platform and could sell thousands per month? Why would you build ELR that nobody wants instead of adding a hybrid option to ATS, SRX or CTS?

China will add a lot of volume for both Caddy and Lincoln but I don't think it's that much different from the rest of the world.
  • You trot out the same argument every time. You ignore when I counter your points and keep repeating what you said before. Ok, an old CTS that couldn't possibly sell 5K month would sell 5K amonth because you say it would. Selling 2500 ATSs at previous CTS prices plus 2500 CTSs at higher prices than before is not better than sticking with one model that is fading? Ok, you are right.

Sure.go on about the ELR. That proves you dont even read much of what I write,  because I beat you to that one.

And if you think Cadillac will ignore the CUV market, think again. 

I have hope for Lincoln now. I have almost none that you will ever agree to disagree or concede a single point. So once again, I am out of here and you can have at the last words. Heck I could probably write them for you.

CTS sales:

2007 57,029
    2008 58,774
    2009 38,817
    2010 45,656
    2011 55,042
    2012 46,979
    2013 32,343

ATS sales:

2012 7,008
    2013 38,319

CTS sales were fine until the ATS showed up and took away sales. 55K in 2011. No reason to think it would have dropped if the ATS had not arrived especially with a refresh.

And let's say Cadillac is making slightly more gross profit on ATS plus CTS than they were with the old CTS alone. How much do you think it cost them to develop that new platform and then develop 2 brand new vehicles off that platform? A new vehicle can cost $1B. A new platform can cost 6 times that much. Even if you mitigate the platform costs by sharing it with Chevy you're still looking at $4B minimum for ATS and CTS.

At an average gross profit of $5K for 60k vehicles per year that's only $2.4B profit over 8 years. By that time you have to re-invest even more in new vehicles and a platform update.

You just lost $1.6B. But that's ok because the media loves it, right?

That's the problem with building new platforms and multiple vehicles without significant volume increases.

What do you think the math would look like for an uber sedan that can't possibly sell more than 200 vehicles per month?
    "The combination of ads and parodies appears to be helping consideration of the Lincoln brand, said Jessica Caldwell, senior analyst for Edmunds.com. Lincoln brand consideration on Edmunds.com for the week ended Sept. 21 was 1.6 percent, up from 1.2 percent the previous week, representing a roughly 31 percent lift in consideration.

The shopping traffic was the highest it has been all year, Caldwell said.

She said that the segments poked more fun of McConaughey than Lincoln, so they didn't come across as disparaging the brand."

Lincoln ad spoofs elevate brand's exposure (autonews.com)
    Ford has had a few duds as spokespersons but they've also hit a few home runs with Mike Rowe and Denis Leary. I think MM will be the 3rd.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,073
    Before Mercury went away, I loved their ads with Jill Wagner. A few years ago Cadillac used Kate Walsh and that was a good ad also, but they never carried on with it.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    That Ellen edition commercial was pretty funny. I had read that it was out there, but I hadn't seen it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Ellen thing was supposed to be a spoof but now you have me wondering if the spoofers were paid by Lincoln to help the "real" ad get traction.