Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Steering Wheel Off-Center - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Volkswagen
imageSteering Wheel Off-Center - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

The steering wheel is offset slightly in Edmunds' long-term 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI SEL. It appears an alignment is in order.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    expensivehobbyexpensivehobby Member Posts: 91
    The offset steering wheel can be an issue if it's not your regular driver. If it's your daily or semi-daily driver, the issue fades away. I almost forgot about it until you raised it again. My one pet peeve is still the limited power seat adjustment, though I have mostly adapted to that as well.
  • Options
    nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    offset in terms of position of the wheel itself is no issue IMO

he's talking about an apparent alignment issue if you have to steer left to go straight and it pulls right when you let go of the wheel...
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Four days? It would take me four minutes to notice either a cocked wheel or a pull to either side.
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    Yeah this sort of issue is my Kryptonite. Alignment techs the world over curse my existence. That said I find that in my VW this problem does "correct itself" I wonder if it's a initialization issue with the electric steering since the drive by wire does have to synchronize each end of the steering system. I think Lexus and Audi had similar issues with their electric steering systems when they first came out. Many customers complained that the wheel was off center. At least that's my thought.
  • Options
    dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    Rear toe is off a smidge. Get it fixed before the [tire] roar begins!