Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• onelgsonelgs Member Posts: 38
    Winter 2003 ratings and reviews of Sport Utility vehicles? I was shocked to see how poorly the X5 scored and the fact that Consumer Reports did not endorse it in the reliability verdict.

Until I read this today, the X5 was one of my two top choices for purchase this week.

What do you all think about this study?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    But the early X5's had a bunch of "teething" pains. What was it, 5 recalls right out of the gate? The old problems must have hurt them in the ratings. You'll have to ask the owners here how they're holding up in the real world.

Steve, Host
  • cekscceksc Member Posts: 20
    I agree with steve that it had many problems out of the gate. Unfortunately, Two dealers have been unable to fix several of them. There are also many ergonomic details on this car that are ill conceived.

If you like the look of it I would consider the Volvo xc90. Very similar in appearance and much more car for the money. It is also much safer. Not being a volvo person I am going with a Lexus GX to replace my X5. I like the looks and the interior finish is outstanding. The new Lexus RX will be out in the Fall and should be a good car as well.
    I've decided to purchase the Acura MDX because with their touring package, navigation, DVD player and the dealer agreeing to $1,600 below MSRP... I couldn't resist.

CEKSC... good luck with the Lexus! I hope you did get a good deal. With the exception of the world looking yellow (tinted windows) and the fact that there are too many of them in my town (every 3rd car at the mall is a Lexus :) I like the Lexus but I like the MDX more... larger engine and lots more room for passengers and cargo :)
  • greenlaterngreenlatern Member Posts: 77
    Consumer Reports is a SURVEY which attempts to pass itself off as being statistically relevant with all their little dots. They don't try to determine why someone DIDN'T return a card (which is critical in sampling) and it's my understanding the want $ with a returned card. Why anyone would pay to say "things are great" is a pretty interesting psyche case study on it's own.

IMO forums like edmunds have become better sources of info because you can find out exactly what problems others are having and how someone else's dealer approached the problem. Edmunds isn't the benchmark for the X5 per se as other forums get far more traffic. The truth is that some X5 do experience problems -- just like every other car listed in edmunds forums. Nobody except BMW has a hard number on how many.

I rarely post as my X5 is flawless -- haven't seen the dealer in a year, since the last (covered by warranty) oil change. I also completely disagree with the "OPINION" that there are "many ergonomic details that are ill conceived".

onelgs, as you are coming out of a minivan I think the acura is a much better fit than the X5 and you made a great choice at a great price. Congrats!
    Never heard the "want money" thing before, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck a renewal form in with the surveys. I'm not a big fan of CR either, but there's not much else out there except for the J.D. Power reports (many of those are available here).

If anyone wants a sneak peek at the little brother, here's a blurb:

2004 BMW X3

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the congrats on my Acura MDX. I only posted about the Consumer Report article because I did think it was interesting and I did so only after discussing it at length with the GREAT x5 salesperson I was working with. He did point out BMW's *total* maintenance program and free car loaner while in the shop. Smart consumers do need to weigh ALL aspects of any major purchase and act on what will work best for them.
  • jma199jma199 Member Posts: 6
    Beware of BMW's total maintenance program and free loaner car. Please see #843 and #850. And I forgot to send my survey into Consumer Reports.
    BMW per se does not have a policy of free loaner cars -- many BMW DEALERS have that policy as do other luxury car dealers. I had two dealers to choose from, one with free loaners (BMW with scheduled appointment, Enterprise rental otherwise) or a dealer who would "take me where I wanted to go". That jma's dealer demonstrated complete incompetence in handling the battery drain issue is of no surprise given the loaner charge. An obvious lack of commitment to service by that dealer.

"Total maintenance" is exactly what it says -- when the car needs an oil change or new brake pads it's covered under the service warranty. A separate warranty (4yr/50k) covers defects and wear/tear ranging from electrical issues to peeling door handles and even wiper blades.
  • cekscceksc Member Posts: 20
    Congrats on the purchase. I have not driven but I have heard the MDX is a great vehicle. I agree too many Lexus rx -- but I bought the new GX and did save 2k on sticker.
    Maybe I spoke too soon:

BMW recalls 84,000 SUVs (Reuters)

Steve, Host
  • speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    .......So I pull up to a gas station in my Grand Am and my wife jumps to get some beer inside. I wait in the car (my tank was already full). I'm watching this guy fill up his spanking new X5. A gorgeous silver giant with sparkling mags and tinted windows. The proud owner is filling his tank and the numbers on the pump caught my eye as they zoomed by $70,$80..$85! I started to giggle as he sheepishly looked away.Bet he's happy now that his glutton-mobile is sucking the life out his bank account not to mention destroying the air we breath at twice the rate my car does. Hey buddy, ever heard of social responibility and common sense ?????
    A fill-up is a fill-up. His tank holds about 24 gallons, probably about the same as yours. What do you spend to top off the ol' Pontiac? And seriously, his ride costs what...3 times what your did? You don't think he can handle the fuel bill? For all you know the percentage of his income spent on fuel is nil compared to your own situation. I myself only fill up every 6 weeks; less than 9 times a year. Nothing compared to my heating bill. You go home to your beer -- I'll go home to my King Louis. Cheers!
  • jnscheongjnscheong Member Posts: 66
    Hi all,

My wife and I have decided on getting the X5 3.0i. Just wondering if anyone can tell me about their deals (amount above invoice or below MSRP) in the LA/Orange County area?

Thanx a bunch.

Stanley
  • speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    "You don't think he can handle the fuel bill?"

You missed the point, my point is his vehicle gets 15 mpg vs. my 30 mpg. Of course he shelled out more coin for his ride than I did, but does that mean we are both equally responsible? Not exactly, one of us is a tad more responisble for the environment than the other. I would think that anyone who isn't pulling a 5000 lb. trailer three quarters of the time does not need this sort of vehicle. Its just sad that this sort of vehicle is not being scrutinized more than it is by our governments. 15 mpg is totally unacceptable for any passenger vehicle!
  • joatmonjoatmon Member Posts: 315
    Re: my point is his vehicle gets 15 mpg vs. my 30 mpg. Of course he shelled out more coin for his ride than I did, but does that mean we are both equally responsible?

Yes, 15mpg is responsible. More of the pump price goes to governments than anywhere else. Yes, isn't it great. You get to drive an X5 and help to finance the government.

God bless America,

Jack
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    If I was forced to drive a Grand Am I'd be in a foul mood 24/7 too. I'd need more than a six-pack to get through the day. OTOH, I might die of boredom first. Perhaps one day you might have an opportunity to at least sit in a BMW- that might temper your envy to a degree.
    X5s do suck down a lotta gas compared to small sedans...LOTS of SUVs/pickups do the same thing so there's no reason to single out X5s. In fact the total number of X5s made to date is just over 100,000 -- that's a rounding error at Ford.

I don't know why others buy X5s but I wanted something that would bring me home safely in a snowstorm, and for those of you wondering how the X5 does in the snow it was PHENOMENAL the last few days during Denver's biggest snowstorm in almost a century. We had over 30" of heavy wet snow at my place and my X5 scooted right up the unplowed sidestreet and into the garage. SUV haters always point to AWD drive wagons like subarus...I helped dig one of those out after it high centered on the same street I made it through. My wife's AWD minivan would've fared no better and BTW, it gets pretty bad mileage as well.
    Yeah, it's funny how some eco-weenies slam my SUVs then beg for a ride to work when a winter storm hits. I tell them to walk-it helps save the planet...;)
  • mizrockmizrock Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered a 2003 3.0 X5, with DSP and nav (with other options). I want to install a CD changer other than the BMW changer for a number of reasons:

1) Cost. There are some others out there which cost less (Alpine CHA-S634)
    2) It doesn't play MP3s

I also don't want to install a CD changer that plays through a radio station.

Has anyone been down this road?
    What choices do I have?
    If I install a different changer, will I still have all of the options to control it through the dash and/or steering wheel controls?
    Thanks
    Eurobuyers and Circle BMW have the factory changer for @$400 and it's a dead easy DIY install. Still won't play MP3s, though.
    The latest Rocky Mountain News auto review column reviewed the X5 during Denver's record-breaking snowfall. Reviewer Bud Wells seemed to be as pleased with it's snow performance as I was. I won't cut/paste the article -- the link MIGHT work... http://www.postnewsads.com/budwells/viewarticles.asp

I thought the highlight of the review was Bud's comments regarding the X5 at the ice-driving course outside Vail; the SAME course the discussed in the recent Edmunds review on the Acura: "The X5 drove that course with less slipping and better handling and grip than any of the others. So much so that I suggested to one of the driving school directors that he should park the X5 to avoid direct comparisons with the host product."
  • kuruskurus Member Posts: 1
    Does any one have any knowledge or experience as to how does the 4.6is handle in snow or rain condition due to its 20 in tires. I am about to purchase one?. Thanks
    The 20" Michelin Diamaris tires are amazing in the wet, but BMW explicitly warns that they are not designed for winter driving. BMW offers a special set of winter tires+wheels designed to fit over the 14" brake rotors of the 4.6is. I strongly suggest you purchase a set if you plan to do ANY winter driving.
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    My fiancee just got her new 3er this past weekend and I, the SUV lover, find myself making excuses so that I have to drive it to work and she lugs my huge Yukon around(which BTW gets avg 11.5mpg). I have planned for my next vehicle to be the X5 but am now reconsidering for a 3er.

My question is: Is the X5 sporty enough that it could satisfy my sports sedan desire and be my SUV at the same time? Anybody else with similar dilemmas/solutions? I am about 12-18 mos from making this purchase as these puppies are a pretty penny. I will enthusiastically save my pennies for a year if this could be my ultimate vehicle!
  • knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    Try an Infiniti FX before you buy.
    Well, it depends. If you're comparing it to a 3 or 5 series with Sport Pack, probably not. If compared to another SUV, or driving Japanese or American iron, yeah, it's sporty.

Coming from another BMW sedan to the X5, I notice the increased height. This sensation melts away after a few miles. But, the way the suspension works is all BMW.

BTW, the added height is often welcome on the interstate when competing with 18 wheelers and monster SUVs.

Sporty, yes, but still a S(U)AV.

Jack
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Any chance of a power upgrade for the 3.0 for MY '04, or a bigger engine (3.2 maybe?).

Or maybe the question to be asked should be if the 3.0 NEEDS more power?
    According to Edmund's, the cargo area is ~ 16 cu ft. For comparison, a CR-V, which is considered a mini-ute, is listed at ~ 33 cu ft. The Infiniti FX, which is much criticized for a small cargo area, is at ~ 27. Heck, even a small wagon like the A4 Avant has ~ 27! And I believe these measurements includes the entire cargo area up to the roof. So if you measure only the area up to the top of the seatback, the X5 might only have ~ 10 - 11 cu ft. Compact cars have bigger trunks than that. Is there a misprint somewhere, or is the X5's cargo area really that small. It would seem too small to hold an average family's luggage and still be able to pull the tonneau cover over it.
    1. I don't believe the engines are being upgraded for 04. If they are, it's probably only the v8. The clue is that the new 5 series being released in May in Europe is going to have the same 2.5 and 3.0 as the 03s. The new v8 in the 5 series is upgraded to the 325 hp 4.4 from the 7 series.

2. The X5 cargo area is small in comparison to other SUVs. The good news is that it is a rectangle allowing you to use all the space. The clam shell opening also allows you to more easily use all the space. Yeah, I'd like more room back there, but not at the expense of driver/passenger room and comfort. Or... a Yukon, Tahoe, etc. Yuch.

I'm probably going to add a trailer hitch and use a "hitch haul" for those beach and mountain trips.

Hope this helps,

Jack
    If you want to play the HP game you can always supercharge a 3.0 -- that'll take you to 330 HP (cost is 5 grand). Personally I don't see that as a necessity; the 3.0i X5 easily exceeds every posted speed limit. Cargo: think of it as either a really cramped SUV or a really generous car trunk :-) I put enough stuff back there for a family of four for a week a couple summer's back.

Other SUVs may have more space but be sure to check the weight; I've seen people stacking heavy bags of dirt into the back of a large cargo SUV to the point where I thought the springs were gonna snap. If you're moving boxes of feathers no problem...boxes of gold bars, different story.

The X5's strengths are its ride height, luxury interior, handling, all weather on-road performance, braking, passing acceleration and styling (not in that order). It's not a sports car, pickup truck or minivan. Hope this helps.
    My concern with the cargo space though is that it may not even qualify as a "really generous car trunk". The thing to remember is that the useable part of the cargo space, in many situations, is the part that can be covered with the tonneau cover. When I'm travelling, I sure don't want to leave all my luggage and stuff in plain view when I'm parked outside a restaurant, or at some sightseeing stop. If the entire cargo area of the X is only 16 cu ft, then I would estimate the "covered" part to be no more than 11 cu ft or so. Would your experience bear that out?
    I measured the dimensions under my cargo cover as 29.5" (L), 49" (W) and 18" (D)...or 15 cu. ft. Again, that's the space UNDER the cover. When I traveled everything fit under the cover. BTW, all that space is useable as there are no wheel wells or anything of that sort.
    Hmm...now that's interesting. I had never thought of actually measuring it myself. So I went out and ran a tape measure in my Accord trunk, and I came up with approximately 54" x 44" x 19" give or take an inch or so in each direction. Would that not come up to approx. 26 cu. ft.? But the Accord is listed at 14 cu. ft. Now I'm wondering what's the official method of measurement?
    Our Editors' Review has been updated, but the link to interior space doesn't say how it's calculated.

Steve, Host
    I can't vouch for any measurements other than the ones I've taken personally. Mine stack up with what BMW puts out (though I'm a bit more conservative).

Car & Driver counts the number of cases of beer that a vehicle can tote in it's cargo area. Not a bad idea; prevents a manufacturer from inflating claims with "ping pong balls" or other filler. IIRC the X5 hauls 11 or 12 cases behind the 2nd row. In short, don't expect it to outperform the Accord. Therefore if the Accord is too small...
  • jeffersjeffers Member Posts: 1
    I had scratched the X5 off my shopping list thinking the cargo space was inadequate for hauling ski & snowboard gear for four on a long weekend. But no other vehicle matched the X5 for ample front seat space (love those big footwells), handling precision and overall sportiness. So I rented an X5 for the day, took it home and stuffed all the usual baggage in the back to see if it would fit. It did - although admittedly not by much (the cubbies inside the rear fender wells help.) If you have three children and/or travel with very large loads frequently, the X5 probably won't work. But before committing yourself to driving something clumsier, take an X5 back to the garage and do your own luggage test. I'm sure glad I did.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Thanks for the vote of confidence on the X5s cargo space. I'm going to try to convince my father (at the NY Auto show this weekend) to lease an X5 when the lease is up on his '01 QX4 next March. Cargo space (with the seats down) is a huge priority (along with driving dynamics) as my father carries 2 Great Danes to and from work with him every day. Front head/leg room is also tops on the list as he is 6'3" (with a bad back and must sit straight up) and barely fits into his QX4.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mml7mml7 Member Posts: 55
    Consumer Reports recently published a table that contains measurements of the the "usable cargo capacity" of various cars.

They don't specify how they calculate this number, but from personal experience with some of the cars on the list, it seems about right. Of note, they measure the usable cargo capacity of the X5 to be 35.5cu ft and the MDX at 42.0cu ft.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt- _id=21999&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=21135&bmUID=1050751357777

mike
    That's an interesting report. They must have measured with a row of seat folded because no way the MDX would have 42 cu. ft. behind the 3rd row.
  • mrbluetoothmrbluetooth Member Posts: 10
    The CR article seems to underscore the importance of usable space rather than absolute capacity numbers.

I have owned an X5 for just over two years, and for a family of four it has served us well - no problems putting a stroller and groceries in back. With the seats folded down, I have been able to put in a twin mattress.

Keep in mind that the height of the X5's cargo area, with seats folded down, is about 30". So a large TV, a coffee table, or something similar would also work. I don't think many wagons (those with smaller cargo area height), much less an Accord, can do that. My point is, there is still some of the "utility" in this SAV.

Of course, if you need to put more cargo than that on a regular basis, you are better off with something larger.

Also, those comparing the X5 with the 5 series wagon or similar, as I had - the front and rear seating area of the X5 is roomier. It makes a difference if you often have rear occupants, including kids in car seats.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I was at the NY auto show today and had the oppurtunnity to sit in a Sienna Red (?) X5 3.0 w/ manual tranny. My dad came away impressed with the interior of the vehicle as well as the BMWness of the exterior. I told him to wait till he drives it, then he'll be really WOWed.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• iwanacariwanacar Member Posts: 1
    I like that price! Seems much better than any price I've seen posted here . beck, the Edmunds TV = MSRP. Anyone hear of anything close to this in California?
    By the way, I've seen a 2002 option list and it looks like there are few changes from 2001 . One nice option seems to be the reclining rear seats. Anyone hear about 2002 pricing on the 3.0i?
  • lrv608bvlrv608bv Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I have narrowed down the search to the x5 and xc90. We love the X5 but we're just not sure about the cargo space. We don't have children but we travel alot and would use the car to transport large purchases and groceries. The other difference is that the x5 is about $5K more which is fine if hands down it's the right vehicle to buy. Can anyone shed some light on these two cars?

Thank you!
    My wife has an X5 and hauls our 2 YO and 6YO around all day. It seems to suit her well. But, she's been driving a BMW since 86. The BMW type ride and handling are what appeals to her and many owners.

If you've driven both, and didn't say, "Yeah, this is it", after driving the X5, then save $5k.

Hope this helps,

Jack
  • kaitsukaitsu Member Posts: 41
    We have also narrowed our choice to either the 3.0 X5 or T6 XC90.

My concern with X5 is it's poor reliability ratings. What model years should we avoid? Thanks.
    00s and 01s had the most problems. 02s and 03s have fewer. There are still gremlins in a few. I bought a new 03 partly because I have 17 years of experience with my local BMW service department that has been very positive. I believe if there is a problem, that they will do their best to get a solution. So, if you believe in your dealer (ah.. center as BMW calls it), then I'd say it's not a big concern.

Hope this helps,

Jack
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    The jury is still out on the XC90. That has not been Volvo's forte in the last few years...although everyone says that it is "better".
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Are there any leasing incentives for the X5 3.0? I thought there might be(hoping) but can't seem to find any.

Thanks
    fo