Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Issues with 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71

hash_pennihash_penni Member Posts: 13
edited October 2014 in Chevrolet
Just bought a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71 and I am starting to have issues.

1st issue, Ive noticed that when I put the SUV into reverse, it makes a weird creaking sound when I push on the gas, sound like its underneath the vehicle, not inside.

2nd issue, when the SUV shifts around 30/40 MPH is makes a loud clunk sound.

Any suggestions?? Or ideas?? Want to have the dealer fix this, but dont trust them to fix it right, want to DX it first. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The symptoms are really too generalized to make any kind of remote diagnosis, especially on an 8 year old vehicle.

The clunking could be a u-joint, or normal driveline slop for the age of the truck, or a transmission mount getting weak.

The creaking sound could be just about anything related to driveline or suspension or even brakes, but doesn't sound too serious.

• Options
    Well I am taking it to be looked at on Friday, I have a drive train warranty so hoping that its not serious, or expensive...if it is it will be covered. Its been rainy and no garage so I haven't been able to take a look at it myself so unfortunately I have little info...thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Yes by all means check the u-joints, the driveshaft 'carrier bearing", and the rear suspension bushings.
  • Options
    I let the shop know what the problem was, and what I was wanting checked...nothing but issues since I bought it so hopefully this is a quick cheap fix! I will let you know what I find out!
  • Options
    yes, keep us informed. We can always use that info to help other folks here!
  • Options
    Ok, had ito checked out and the rear u joints needed replaced! Done...sounds great now!