Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Parking Grade: F- - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in BMW
imageParking Grade: F- - 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Gran Turismo Long-Term Road Test

Is parking an art? Maybe not, but some people are better at parking their cars than others. As proof, Edmunds gives an example of F-minus-level parking ability.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    joner800joner800 Member Posts: 80
    i feel you, mike. stuff like that really yanks my crank.
  • Options
    cobrysoncobryson Member Posts: 110
    Completely agree it's a crappy parking job-but why is leaving your wheels turned bad form? It doesn't add any strain or damage anything...just an aesthetics thing, maybe?
  • Options
    7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    cobryson said:

Completely agree it's a crappy parking job-but why is leaving your wheels turned bad form? It doesn't add any strain or damage anything...just an aesthetics thing, maybe?

I think it's a sign that the Mustang cut the corner instead of taking it wide and giving him/herself enough maneuvering room to park properly.
  • Options
    arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    cobryson said:

I always straighten my wheels when I park because when I'm about to pull out of the spot, I rarely remember where my wheels are pointed, and you know that I didn't notice before getting into my car on my way out! It's not always possible to tell from looking at the steering wheel.
  • Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    i think you deserve a "B". an "A" of course being driver-side tires right next to, but not touching, the curb to the left to give as much room to the car to the right. but you have less room on the driver-side than the passenger side so you had the right idea.
  • Options
    mrrytemrryte Member Posts: 28
    Sad to say-
    Just because a person has a driver's license it doesn't mean they know how to drive.
  • Options
    ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    mrryte said:

Sad to say-
    Just because a person has a driver's license it doesn't mean they know how to drive.

Truer words were never typed.
  • Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I would say you get a C. There is about a foot between your tires and the curb.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Any closer to the curb and the door will bang into that low wall there. It's just a car - a little road rash isn't going to hurt anything. :p
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    stever said:

Any closer to the curb and the door will bang into that low wall there. It's just a car - a little road rash isn't going to hurt anything. :p

Apparently you are not an enthusiat. :-)

Yeah teh turned wheels pretty much tells me the person simply parked in one motion and didn't attempt to improve their parking job. I had a guy in a F150 do the same. He was so close to me I was amazed that I didn't have a crease in my door. Really annoying and stressful for a car guy.

• Options
    edited October 2014

I don't get enthused about stuff that has to stay pristine - I'd rather use stuff for its intended purpose. Like road tripping or running errands. Best thing to do with a new car is to key it yourself and get it over with. B)

• Options
    veedubber86veedubber86 Member Posts: 57
    I hate when someone parks like this next to me. An A in my book only applies to back-in parking though. Some parking lots are prone to fast drivers and if you're pulling out front ways you can see them sooner and more easily.
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    "I'm guessing, sheer laziness or complete indifference."

Or the driver is a sociopath and is messing with you. One time, I parked away from the herd. Upon returning, I found one car next to me, despite the abundant spaces elsewhere!
  • Options
    wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97

I hate when someone parks like this next to me. An A in my book only applies to back-in parking though. Some parking lots are prone to fast drivers and if you're pulling out front ways you can see them sooner and more easily.

I backed into a spot without reading the signs. "Pull-in parking only" and I returned to find a ticket on my windshield.
  • Options
    ocramidajzjocramidajzj Member Posts: 91
    stever said:

I don't get enthused about stuff that has to stay pristine - I'd rather use stuff for its intended purpose. Like road tripping or running errands. Best thing to do with a new car is to key it yourself and get it over with. B)

I'm not expecting a car to remain "pristine"- there are a ton of forces beyond some asshat dinging your door that makes taking care of your car challengin enough. Taking care of it means that you take precautions. A car is expensive and should be maintained.
  • Options
    Depreciation the first year is over $10,000. Why worry about some dings and scratches? Although it is good exercise to park out in the boonies at the big box stores.