Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Rustproofing a Mazda Mazda6.

rkotlarrkotlar Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Mazda
Is it necessary to rust proof a new mazda6 or is it just extra money for the dealerships?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    No it's not necessary. Factory rustproofing is all you should ever need. Of course, proper maintenance on your part helps too, such as washing the underside of the car if you drive on salted roads.

Some people will tell you that rust proofing might be a good idea if you plan to drive your car into the ground (long-term ownership) and I wouldn't argue with that; however, another problem to consider is that not all rustproofing systems are equal---some have tested far better than others. So you really have to know what you're buying, and you should check into independent testing of the product.

Last of all, you have to know that the application of the rustproofing is done correctly.

So the short answer is---maybe, if you are the right type of owner in the right climate and choose the right system done the right way.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    A bad job could actually make your car more prone to rust.. Ask me about my 1982 Accord.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator