Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Tires - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Jaguar
imageNew Tires - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

It's time to replace the OE Pirellis on our 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe. Do we stick with the stock brand or try another?

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, nearly $1,800 in tires burned through in 3 months time. Even for an "average" commute that'd be about $200 a month just in tires. I realize its a $100k car, but man...
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    You mean there aren't any fuel-conscious Low Rolling Resistance tires available for the Jag? I guess I can take this car off my list..

In all seriousness, I guess that's the price you pay ($1,800) to enjoy this vehicle. Ouch.
  • bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    State of the art ain't cheap. In 1990 I had to replace the Goodyear Gatorbacks on my 5.0 Mustang. If i recall correctly they were $186 each, which was only slightly less than my monthly payment. Per an inflation calculator, that works out to $386 in 2014 dollars. And those were 225/60VR-15's. Basically an economy car sized tire today.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    So your only option was a set of the OEM tires. No - your only option ON A MOMENT'S NOTICE was a set of the OEM tires. If your fleet manager (thinking this is you, in fact) is keeping tabs on the tire wear within the fleet, then you can start looking well before you actually NEED the tires, and lots of other options open up for you, in terms of selection and price.

This is especially true when we're talking about tires for exotics and near-exotics like the Jag, with extreme tire sizes and speed ratings, that are not made in large volumes. Just assuming that hey - we live in a large metro area and buy a lot of tires from our suppliers, so when we need them, they will be there for us - doesn't always work out.

The Edmunds tradition of buying distinctly ordinary tires continues...and this is a large part of the reason.
  • tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    For clarification (again) this F-Type was a test-mule for Jaguar for several thousand miles before we ever got a hold of it. We can't really know how these tires wear until we test them from the date of purchase through their tread life. And we'll be happy to do that.

Also, I can assure you that our team looked for several weeks for tires. I knew the tire wear was an issue before I ever signed up for my track day, and even that advanced notice didn't afford us other options for the tires. Luckily, this will be a good test of how well these tires last over our next 10k-or-so miles, since we'll know exactly what they've been through this time.