Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Recalls 247,000 Cars for Defective Airbag Inflators | Edmunds.com

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Toyota
imageToyota Recalls 247,000 Cars for Defective Airbag Inflators | Edmunds.com

Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. is recalling approximately 247,000 cars because of potentially defective front passenger airbag inflators supplied by Takata Corp.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kokomojoekokomojoe Member Posts: 150
    So are these more made in China parts? Auto quality has taken a step backwards with parts from China not much of a savings if you are recalling most of the cars you make.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Anyone here who thinks they might be affected can call The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've been reading that these "hotlines" are quite overwhelmed at the moment (you're often put on hold) and that dealers simply don't have enough parts to deal with this.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,766
    kokomojoe said:

So are these more made in China parts? Auto quality has taken a step backwards with parts from China not much of a savings if you are recalling most of the cars you make.

Takata is a Japanese company..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for a vehicle owner whose car is affected by the Takata airbag recall and is the second or third owner of that car. If this is you, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5 p.m. PT Monday, 10/27/14.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Last July, I bought a 2004 Toyota Avalon from our neighbor who informed us that there was an open airbag recall. They said that the parts were on backorder and that they would be informed when they arrive.

After a couple of months passed I took the Avalon to the Toyota Dealer for an oil change and to ask about the airbag recall. The Service Manager sat me down and looked everything up on his computer. He said that in my case, the airbags and pretensioners could deploy without warning while the car was being driven. Nice, huh?

So last week I got on the phone to Toyota Corporate. I spoke to several people including a manager and they have NO IDEA when parts may arrive.

Our 2003 Honda CRV also got recalled. First for the driver's side airbag and three months later, for the passenger side. Both times, I made a phone call to my local dealer and within three days they got me in, put me in a loaner car at no charge and got the job done.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Oh, and Toyota refuses to give me a car to drive. Honda gives affected owners long term loaners.

My local Honda store is currently sitting on several new cars waiting for parts and a bunch of trade in's that they can't sell. What a nightmare this has become!

I kinda think it's funny....if I were to trade in my Avalon for another Toyota they wouldn't be able to resell it yet they want me to keep driving it!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A national publication is looking to hear your stories about recall headaches, including difficulties with dealers, wait times or loaner cars. If you're willing to assist, please contact pr@edmunds.com by no later than Thursday, April 21 2016.