Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Notes for Seniors - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageNotes for Seniors - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Does the 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 make a good car choice for seniors? We test it to find out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• juddholl10juddholl10 Member Posts: 84
    The X1's ride is equally harsh. Why didn't you suggest the GLA?
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    I actually think that you're spot on with an X1 or similar vehicles. Those have perfect ease of entry for those who's knees aren't as strong as they once were.
  • quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    edited October 2014

The X1's ride is equally harsh. Why didn't you suggest the GLA?

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that the X1's ride quality is as harsh as the CLA? I actually had a recent conversation with my grandfather's brother who chose an X1 over a non-sport suspension CLA. He mentioned that the X1 had a better ride quality on his test drives.
  • mercedesfanmercedesfan Member Posts: 365
    @juddholl10,

Unfortunately, the GLA doesn't ride a whole lot better than the CLA.

@quadricycle,

A standard X1 actually rides okay, but I think @juddholl10 may be referring to the optional M-Sport suspension. When equipped like that the X1 is simply intolerable. A CLA feels good in comparison.
  • bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    Some older people do like crossovers, but I've seen others struggling to climb into the ones with greater lift in the suspensions. Something like the Audi allroad or Q3, or at a lower price point, Subaru Outback or XV Crosstrek, have a good compromise between height and ease of ingress/egress. But if she thinks the CLA's screen is too small (6" class), vehicles with screens in the 7" class or larger make a short list.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    The CLA rides on a small car FWD platform. When you try to dial a little bit of sport into this type of setup (as Mercedes has done with the CLA) the trade-off is a bit of harshness. Mazda3 owners know this. GTI owners know this. Mercedes and BMW are going to have to figure out where they want to come down on this one as long as they continue to adopt FWD platforms for luxury car applications. They can maintain a bit of sport and end up with some of the same drawbacks found on other (much cheaper) sporty small cars. Or they can smooth the ride out a bit and wind up with something that feels more like a Lexus ES. I'm not sure what the answer is but if Mercedes and BMW want to go this route, they are going to have to live with the trade-offs.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    I would think the Verano would be as hard to get into as a CLA. But the Encore should do the trick, and I believe it's available with an 8" screen. The XV Crosstrek suggestion is also spot-on, and I personally like the Fiat 500L in this category.

BTW, I am nowhere near 70, but my body is also starting to complain about getting in/out of very low cars. And that's even considering that the average 2014 compact is WAY taller than the average 1990 compact.
  • arcticbluetsxarcticbluetsx Member Posts: 79
    How about the upcoming Lexus NX?
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    The Verano and Encore are apparently pretty comfortable cars with a lot of features, but the Encore especially might be just too underpowered for her, considering that she's coming from a Murano.

My grandmother has a 2007 Audi A4 Cabriolet (her daily driver) and a 2002 Explorer (very low miles because she only really uses it it winter weather or when she has to haul large items) and she's been thinking about replacing one or even both of her cars. We test drove the new A3 cabrio recently, as well as the Q3. They both rode fairly well and were pretty quiet. I'm not sure if the A3 sedan is any easier to get in and out of than the CLA, but it might be worth a look. I was pleasantly surprised by the Q3. My grandma had no problems getting in and out of it and it drove rather well. The only main drawback is that the rear seat isn't very spacious, but since she doesn't have passengers often, it's not an issue for her.

A VW Tiguan might also be a viable option if she's looking for an SUV like her Murano (I know a lot of older women like the higher seating position of SUVs) but wants something that's smaller and easier to park, yet still has a larger cargo area than a sedan.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    edited October 2014
    Most seniors probably gravitate towards these vehicles because they have the money and were previous luxury car buyers. However, they no longer drive as much as they used to, no longer need a large vehicle and aren't interested in all the technology and features of higher level models. They don't want to spend a lot of money but still want a luxury brand.

The younger generation (the market Mercedes is aiming for) don't seem to be moved by brands. My sons, for instance, could care less that it is a Mercedes but are more concerned about the tech and how it integrates with their devices. They and their friends turn their noses up at really high sticker prices. They grew up during the recession and seem to embrace the more for less philosophy.
  • tsdriver27tsdriver27 Member Posts: 24
    CLS550, the power will add years to her life
  • cah11705cah11705 Member Posts: 12
    The Encore/GLA/X1/Q3/NX segment sounds perfect for her. Smaller, efficient, mostly comfortable cars that sit up a bit so they are easier to get into.
  • mrvtecskimrvtecski Member Posts: 46
    Wouldn't it just be advantageous for MB USA to provide the regular "plush" suspension for this car and have the stiff package as a sport package?