Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2014 in Volkswagen
image2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Fully redesigned for 2015, the Volkswagen GTI remains an attractive mix of performance and practicality. We have one for the next 12 months to see if it has upped its game with the latest offering.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 7driver7driver Member Posts: 145
    Everyone keeps talking about how the 2015 looks like the 2013 but I think the lower front strakes are the giveaway.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Tested one last week, in S trim with the DSG listing for $27K. Fantastic little car. The seats are supreme, it is really quick off the line and handles well, but doesn't beat you up with road noise and a buckboard ride, and the interior is posh for the price point. It just does so many things well. There's a good chance this is will be my next car. We'll see what another 3 years of reliability data show about this redesign and its predecessor.
  • joepawlickijoepawlicki Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2014
    just hit 4k in my 2015 4 door SE DSG. its been a treat! Consumer reports says the new gti has lost some of its edge. i disagree. i had a 2012 gti and i can whip my 2015 into corners and turns the 12 would falter through. they really packaged this car well with features and performance.
  • patinthecitypatinthecity Member Posts: 40
    Wait, wait, wait, I have a Mk6 I got in May. Will I smell a locker room odor in my car soon?
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    No stick? Meh. No interest. You don't have even one in your fleet. The Miata doesn't count as you never write about that. Also thumbs down for not waiting to test the Performance Pack model. Another month or two would have killed you? The downhill trek to Boringville on InsideLine... ooops, I mean "What's Hot"... continues.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    Your 2010 GTI had its back-seat rattle cured by the service department, its odor issue was cured by a new cabin air filter (imagine that...), and the cargo-area cover piece was broken by your own hamfistedness...as you were told at the time.

And the new 2015 Autobahn package does not "add" the DSG tranny - as always, you can get any trim level of GTI with either the manual or the DSG.

You're Edmunds...why do I know this stuff and you don't?
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I don't think you're getting "more engine for the money." You're getting the same engine for less money.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I would have liked to see this with the manual trans. The same powertrain as the A3 and both are in the fleet at the same time? Hmm. I guess we'll see how this goes.
  • tomkozskitomkozski Member Posts: 39
    It's a pity you didn't wait for the Performance Package. Then again, it'll be interesting to see how the GTI performs without it. I'm actually looking forward to the comparisons between this and the A3.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I realize that you got this for free (basically) as a loaner, but I have to admit that I see a trend based on your current vehicles. Out of your 16 vehicles you have: Audi A3, BMW 328, '05 Mercedes, CLA250, Mini Cooper, Porsche Macan and VW Passat. 7 out of the 16 are German. You then have 2 Kias (Korean), 4 Japanese Cars (old Miata and Mazda 3, a Nissan and a Toyota), 1 British car (Jag) and only 2 American cars (Jeep and a Ram).

Its not really to my liking. The Vette is gone, the Model S is gone, the old NSX is gone, the Volt and Leaf are gone. How about picking some interesting options? I like the Jag and its good to have a Porsche in testing, but how about getting a Z06? Get some Fords in the mix - a Mustang and Focus/Fiesta ST would be obvious choices. Its great to see the old AMG still running, but I think we "get it", so sell it and get something you can put some miles on. I'm not a big American car buyer (Japanese personally), but I'd enjoy getting those back into the mix. I don't see a lot of distinction between the A3, 328i, CLA250 and Passat. All different cars, but based on the same thinking.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    My in-laws have the prior gen A3 and to me the interior, while of high quality, really felt more like a VW than an Audi. From the pictures at least, the new GTI looks much better on the inside than the old A3. I wonder if interior of the new A3 has improved enough to distinguish it from the GTI. To me, the Golf is more appealing because I like the hatch. But the A3 offers something you can't get on a GTI which is AWD. Offer a 5 door GTI with AWD with all the option and it would be more appealing (to me) than the A3.
  • honestkidhonestkid Member Posts: 1
    It's a shame you didn't get it with the lighting package (bi-xenon headlights and AFS). Also gives the car a really sharp look - compliments the car's overall styling very well.
  • victorminatorvictorminator Member Posts: 18
    Did you guys actually get another GTI without bi-xenon lamps? Or are the pictures just stock ones and not representative of the actual model?
    Also, we Canadians are seriously ripped off with the pricing of these. Topped out with no options left, the car is 36000$ before freight and PDI and taxes. Ouch.
  • subatomicsubatomic Member Posts: 140
    Somewhere out there........a Dodge Viper SRT is waiting to be added to the long-term fleet.
    The caption on many of those photos says, "2015 Volkswagen Golf SE with Performance Package" - that's the one they tested; it's not their LT car.
    legacygt said:

Offer a 5 door GTI with AWD with all the option and it would be more appealing (to me) than the A3.

Yeah, VW had the same idea...it's called a Golf R.

• darthbimmerdarthbimmer Member Posts: 606
    I look forward to reading comparisons between the A3 and GTI... plus also the Focus ST formerly in your fleet. This is an interesting little corner of the car market, and these cars represent slightly different takes on the same idea of a small, performance oriented vehicle. I can see the right type of buyer cross shopping the three.
  • tatermctatumstatermctatums Member Posts: 107
    I'm still waiting for VW to bring over the GTD. Just because I want a diesel, doesn't mean I wouldn't like it to handle well while getting 40+ mpg.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    edited October 2014
    Same as a lot of other users, I'm surprised you didn't get the lighting package. You would think VW would want to give you a car with all of the options to test. More importantly, though, I don't see why VW doesn't just make the bi-xenons and LEDs standard, considering that the Mk 5 GTI and GLI had standard HID headlights. Halogens just cheapen the look of the front end.

It'll be interesting to see how this stacks up next to the A3 you also have. I like both of these cars, and while the A3 is a good car (I test drove one and was very impressed), I really don't know if I could justify the extra cost and less cargo capacity of the A3. Yeah, you get an Audi badge with Audi quality, but I don't think the more premium details on the A3 are as important to buyers in this price range, especially since VWs already feel pretty premium. I'm sure there are people that will buy fully-loaded A3s with all the options, but I couldn't really justify the A3 for the few options that it offers over the GTI, most of which are only available on higher-end trims (4G connectivity, LED headlights, etc.). Yeah, there's Quattro, but there's also the Golf R for that.

Hopefully, Audi decides to bring the A3 hatchback over here with the same engines as the sedan, not just as a TDI or e-tron model. That way, people who like the hatchback appeal of the GTI (and also loved the last A3) would be able to get the A3 without compromising on space. The backseat in the GTI might still be a bit larger, though.
  • chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    @tatermctatums I would love to see the GTD over here too, but I don't think that's very likely, even with the increasing popularity of the TDI Golf. I'd imagine that the 1.8T will still outsell the TDI by a wide margin, especially considering how much better that engine is in comparison to the old 2.5L. At least the standard TDI is still a fairly enjoyable car to drive. Maybe VW will offer some sort of performance/handling upgrade for the TDI down the road to compensate for the lack of a GTD here in the states.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    Well, this Golf makes a bit more sense than the $33K 130 hp Mini.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    But not getting the Performance Pack, while wondering if it still has the mojo, does not.
    You're going to have it for 12 months. We - the readers - would have been fine waiting a bit for that option to arrive.
  • cameronrcameronr Member Posts: 38
    The exterior shots are of the long-term test car. The interior shots had to be rescheduled, so the interior photos displayed here are from the car that was road tested. Interior shots of the long-term car will be posted shortly.
    EDMUNDS NEWS AND REVIEWS EDITOR
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Yet another VW. The vast majority of the cars in you long term test are European. The 2 Fiat Chrysler vehicles probably fall into the European category also since they are now a subsidiary of an Italian Car company. Since you now refuse to purchase cars for testing and rely heavily on loaners from the manufacture I guess only the European companies want to give you a car for the free advertising. Unfortunately this also leads to bias reviews. For example, we still don't know what happened to the Dodge Dart. It had a serious failure on the highway and then reviews quietly went away. I'm sure it is very clear that any negative reviews will end the free loaner program and advertising on your site.

The Ford Mustang with the turbo 4 is now available and possibly a game changer, the Focus and Fiesta would also be interesting. One of the new GM full size SUV's would be an interesting read. Or how about a new twin turbo Caddy CTS V Sport. The new (well now it's old) Honda Accord with the CVT transmission or a new Honda Fit. I guess I'm trying to tell you we don't want to know about another 4 cylinder turbo/DSG MQB platform Volkswagen. We get it. It's a good power train and an strong platform. We got it in the Passat TSI and TDI posts. We got it in the Jetta TDI post. And I'm willing to bet it is still just as good in the A3 and now the GTI. And if you had a serious failure of any kind we wouldn't know because I'm sure VW has told you that if you want more cars you better not say anything.
    cameronr said:

The exterior shots are of the long-term test car. The interior shots had to be rescheduled, so the interior photos displayed here are from the car that was road tested. Interior shots of the long-term car will be posted shortly.

OMG - you are right - the AFS is a standalone option...and you did NOT get it.

Bad move.
  • victorminatorvictorminator Member Posts: 18
    fordson1 said:

cameronr said:

OMG - you are right - the AFS is a standalone option...and you did NOT get it.

Bad move.
    Seriously bad move. I'm not sure who in their right mind gets a car that now looks like a 1990s car without the proper front lighting design. Sigh. I'm shocked they often get cars (like the CLA) that don't have HIDs and don't mind the really cheap setup and poorer lighting technology. No luxury car or near-luxury car should ever be settled with without them in 2014.

Yet another VW. The vast majority of the cars in you long term test are European. The 2 Fiat Chrysler vehicles probably fall into the European category also since they are now a subsidiary of an Italian Car company. Since you now refuse to purchase cars for testing and rely heavily on loaners from the manufacture I guess only the European companies want to give you a car for the free advertising. Unfortunately this also leads to bias reviews. For example, we still don't know what happened to the Dodge Dart. It had a serious failure on the highway and then reviews quietly went away. I'm sure it is very clear that any negative reviews will end the free loaner program and advertising on your site.

The Ford Mustang with the turbo 4 is now available and possibly a game changer, the Focus and Fiesta would also be interesting. One of the new GM full size SUV's would be an interesting read. Or how about a new twin turbo Caddy CTS V Sport. The new (well now it's old) Honda Accord with the CVT transmission or a new Honda Fit. I guess I'm trying to tell you we don't want to know about another 4 cylinder turbo/DSG MQB platform Volkswagen. We get it. It's a good power train and an strong platform. We got it in the Passat TSI and TDI posts. We got it in the Jetta TDI post. And I'm willing to bet it is still just as good in the A3 and now the GTI. And if you had a serious failure of any kind we wouldn't know because I'm sure VW has told you that if you want more cars you better not say anything.

The Passats and the Jetta TDI they had were not MQB platform, and while the TSI in the Passat is similar, it's not the same as the engine in the GTI.

I would like to see the turbo Mustang, too. To be fair, I don't see anything in a Honda that interests me, but they have not had any Hondas in a long time...so yes it's time.

• aspadeaspade Member Posts: 42
    Sending Edmunds redundant free cars every year while their retail market share continues to collapse, VW really is the new Mitsubishi.

• stuntman_mikestuntman_mike Member Posts: 57
    The good news about VW comp'ing you another car is that you still have "Salary Cap" space left for a Fiesta ST? Please?
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    edited November 2014
    No 6-speed manual? I made the mistake and bought an auto 335i coupe (e92) a year ago thinking the abundant 300HP/300 torque and great brakes would be enough to make it exciting to drive. Boy was I wrong. All the fun is in shifting gears and great handling. Paddle shifters are over-rated too. I don't use them because it's extremely hard to shift when you turn the steering wheel. They are only for straight line as they are attached to the steering wheel.. and I can't get used to shifting with 2 hands (left paddle to downshift/right to upshift). It's not natural to me and I never know what gear I am in unless I take my eyes off the road to look at the dashboard. Autos are NO fun if you are used to manual. I miss my Integra :( Heck, I miss my Civic Si..
    It looks like the Edmunds editors are getting older and getting away from manual transmission cars. Dual clutch trannies are better than the old autos (had a 2015 328i DCT/auto loaner the other day) and shift quickly and smoothly, but they still don't compare to a stick shift in the fun-to-drive experience. I also think $30K+ is Audi territory and too much for a Golf, and that's without the performance package. If VW could offer the top trim GTI and the performance package (220HP + eLSD + bigger brakes) for $29,999 - that would be a fair deal and would have my interest. The outdated body may still have me looking at other cars though..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • ttbuyerttbuyer Member Posts: 45
    Volkswagens are like Marxism...on paper they seem great....but in the real world, they don't work so well.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a Volkswagen Golf/Golf TDI (2013 - 2015), a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 22, 2014, for use in a print publication. Click here for the survey http://tinyurl.com/o8uzder