Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

A Car You Could Be Proud To Bring Home - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited August 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
imageA Car You Could Be Proud To Bring Home - 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 Long-Term Road Test

Bring a 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 home to show your family and friends, and I think you'll feel deservedly proud of yourself.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    seppoboyseppoboy Member Posts: 93

I suppose. But the one I drove didn't really seem an improvement over VW Jetta GLI in the driving character, and did not seem any better constructed than a Buick Regal or Volvo S60. The Volvo is at least as distinctive, and it had a better ride and outstanding seats. Judging it as a car rather than a badge, CLA seems about on par with some competitors, but not really more desirable.

• Options
    sumgaisumgai Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2014

I agree, this car has the WOW factor. I haven't had a car that had the WOW factor since I bought a new c6 convertible in 2005. The CLA250 draws the same number of unsolicited compliments from passerby's: "I like your car!" that the C6 vert did in it's early days. Obviously, familiarity breeds anonymity; so after the rest of the MB line is restyled, and a couple hundred thousand more CLA250s show up on the roads. nobody will notice the CLA250 anymore. But even after the WOW factor fades away, you will still be driving a MERCEDES BENZ for tens of thousands of dollars less than most other people have had to pay for that privilege. So I like it, I like it ALOT.

• Options
    fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

Not seeing a compelling case for this over a new GTI. The GTI is probably a better overall package, from what I'm reading.

• Options
    duck87duck87 Member Posts: 649

The other remarks on the CLA250 point to it being a Mercedes Benz car without the Mercedes Benz driving experience. And this car has had multiple issues already. So no, this car might impress the uninformed but to me it's the new Cheap Class Mercedes.

• Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135

It may be a distinctive look but so was the Pontiac Aztec. The CLA is in my opinion one of the ugliest new cars out there. They did succeed in standing out from a sea of bland automobiles, but I don't think in a good way.

• Options
    tenderlointenderloin Member Posts: 5

Hilarious the critics here . Number of issues? Hardly A few teething problem but they have been taken care of. While the GTI is a fantastic vehicle, the Jetta a nice car... the person interested in a GTI or Jetta would not be looking at a CLA250 or the reverse. To even suggest that makes any points you try and make worthless. Ugly? Troll

• Options
    evodadevodad Member Posts: 135

@tenderloin said:
    Hilarious the critics here . Number of issues? Hardly A few teething problem but they have been taken care of. While the GTI is a fantastic vehicle, the Jetta a nice car... the person interested in a GTI or Jetta would not be looking at a CLA250 or the reverse. To even suggest that makes any points you try and make worthless. Ugly? Troll

Well I guess someone has a CLA! Sorry your entry level luxury car is not everyone else's cup of tea.

The front's not bad but the back looks like it's melting away, it just kind of droops down.

• Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878

People who buy this car can't afford a Benz but still want to say they own a Mercedes. And that's the point of this car. Mercedes needed a mass market money maker. A Honda Accord Touring cost less, has V6 power, roomier, rides better, and has more features. The only thing it doesn't have is the 3 pointed star on the grill.

• Options
    classysclassys Member Posts: 4
    Modern Japanese cars are overpriced and yet managed to feel cookie cutter and boring. True test of a car's heritage lies after 10 years or perhaps 128 years. I'm doubtful anyone will be looking at a Toyota Camry or a Honda Accord in a museum or buy it at an auction for $6 million after several decades. None of my $30K Japanese or domestic cars did well after 7 years despite all the care and money I've spent on them. However, my 10 years old E320 and 7 years old C280 looked and felt pristine. To me a car has to be more than an appliance like a dishwasher or refrigerator. Driving should be enjoyable and not a dreaded chore. That being said, I'm enjoying my CLA as much as all the other Mercedes I've had over the years.