Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Good and Bad Parking Aids - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Jeep
imageGood and Bad Parking Aids - 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited Long-Term Road Test

Parking aids that make sure you don't run into stuff are good. Parking aids that park for you aren't so good.

Read the full story here

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree Ed. The Cherokee offers a lot of options, some great, others not so much. Wish you could just cherry-pick the features you want, but that'll never happen. Too much $$$ to be made forcing customers into buying stuff you don't want/need.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    While you and I may be different ages (I'm 23), I believe parallel parking is a basic driving skill that all should possess. I actually enjoy any opportunity to show off my skills! I would never want this technology on one of my personal vehicles.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    You're not just old...you're right.

But the people I see struggling don't look like they're going to get better with practice...they're just bad drivers.
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I don't want this feature and doubt I'd ever use it. But I also didn't think rolling down the window was such a big deal. Once every car comes with parking assistance and I get a car that has it, I'll probably use it.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I think its a great idea, BUT only if it does its job perfectly. There's no reason for a computer to not have the exact angle and process down to a science. It should be perfectly against the curb and perfectly in the middle of the two cars. Otherwise, it's a worthless feature.
  • greenponygreenpony Member Posts: 531
    @kirkhilles1 - define "perfectly". Accurate to a nanometer? To a thousandth of an inch? Within a few inches? What compensation if any should the system make for a trailer hitch, winch, or other add-ons? What about compensating for variations on the road surface, or in tire size or wear, or if the wheels are out of alignment? Do you put a time limit on perfection, or can the system take as long as it wants? Do you also expect the curb and roadway to be perfectly straight and uniform too? The point is that without quantifiable specifications, everyone has a different idea of what "perfectly" is.