Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Fuel Economy Update for October - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in MINI

imageFuel Economy Update for October - 2014 Mini Cooper Hardtop Long-Term Road Test

The 2014 Mini Cooper fuel economy update for October 2014

Read the full story here

Comments

• legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Is it to early to begin to worry if this is just too small an engine for even this small car? We know that undersized engines can get nice numbers on the EPA cycle but suffer in the real world (Ecoboost Explorer anyone?). You are basically getting the same economy that you're getting with the BMW 328i Gran Turisomo and that car is much bigger and is AWD.
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I think you've got to stop making excuses and come to the realization that this is awful gas mileage for a 130hp sub compact car.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

I think you've got to stop making excuses and come to the realization that this is awful gas mileage for a 130hp sub compact car.

Exactly right. The GTI was getting exactly the same average mileage, except that car had under 1,400 miles on it, while this one has almost 4,000. Oh, and that car also is 250 lbs. heavier and has an extra 80 hp and an extra 100 lb/ft of torque.

I agree with the assessment of both cars' mpg so far - they're being driven fast...but to go fast in the MINI you have to put your foot into it a lot harder than you do in the GTI.

Still trying to see $33,000+ worth of value here...

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I average 26 mpg in a 2003 supercharged MINI with mods now putting out 180HP. 24.7 in a 3 cylinder seems a shortfall of expectations.