Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Correct Tire Pressures - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Volkswagen
imageCorrect Tire Pressures - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

We might have found one reason our 2015 Volkswagen GTI is below its projected fuel economy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    What kind of pressure gauge is that? I am constantly checking mine and can never get the same reading on 2 gauges. What would you recommend for a good one?
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow, 37 PSI seems pretty high for a small vehicle. To put it in comparison, my 2000 Miata came stock with 26 PSI (which is at the VERY low end the spectrum) and I run about 28-30.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    It's not a small vehicle - it's over 3,100 pounds. The Mk6 ones are supposed to be 38 psi, with the same size tire, and with these Mk7 models around 80-100 lbs. lighter, they reduced it by one psi.

So to recap...Edmunds has complained about the lack of traction under acceleration and the fuel economy, which are both symptoms of underinflated tires, then they after doing that, they check the tires and find they're underinflated.

Maybe you could check to see if all these items are set to spec, when you take delivery, before you start publishing assessments of the car's performance - ? And really, to begin to criticize the car's fuel economy when it has under 1,400 miles on it...
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    I'm thinking maybe Edmunds needs to check the tyre pressures on the MINI. In case they are set to La-z-boy specs.
  • DebunkerDebunker Member Posts: 49
    With my 2015 GTI, I find that everything is better when the cold tires are set to 37 pounds. And I set the car to the "normal" setting for steering, etc.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    It's worth noting 3 things:
    1. Exactly what pressure will cause the TPMS to alarm?
    2. I don't do track driving, so my primary concern is treadwear. 33 could wear out the edges; 37 could wear out the center.
    3. Since the car isn't running at full load (presumably), is 35 perhaps a better setting?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    gslippy said:

2. I don't do track driving, so my primary concern is treadwear. 33 could wear out the edges; 37 could wear out the center.
    3. Since the car isn't running at full load (presumably), is 35 perhaps a better setting?

Good question. What pressure trips the TPMS?
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    jeepsrt said:

What kind of pressure gauge is that? I am constantly checking mine and can never get the same reading on 2 gauges. What would you recommend for a good one?

Looks like an Intercomp 360045 tire pressure gauge. It had better be accurate for $250.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    gslippy said:

My 2007 says 35 PSI for that size non-XL tire, and 225/45R17 non-XL tire. I currently have 225/45WR17 XL tires and 35psi seems to be wearing the middle of the tread down a bit more than the edges with 35k miles on them. I reduced the PSI to 34...
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "Looks like an Intercomp 360045 tire pressure gauge. It had better be accurate for $250"

Does anyone else see the humour in this? They have a $250 gauge but hardly ever check their fleet vehicles' pressures.
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44

Wow, 37 PSI seems pretty high for a small vehicle. To put it in comparison, my 2000 Miata came stock with 26 PSI (which is at the VERY low end the spectrum) and I run about 28-30.

I have a 1994 Miata. Same thing: 26 psi. But the Miata has 14" factory rims (remember 14" rims?!?) and weighs 2300 pounds. The 2015 Mazda3 sGT I have with 18" rims and clocking in at 2950 pounds requires 36 psi. It's not unusual in a modern 'small' car with large rims and lofty fuel economy requirements.

A friend with a Mk VI GTI runs his car at 40 psi for fuel econ and handling/ride reasons. Even the slightest drop in pressure seems to have an immediate effect on economy on my 3 or my buddy's GTI.
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512

"Looks like an Intercomp 360045 tire pressure gauge. It had better be accurate for $250"

Does anyone else see the humour in this? They have a $250 gauge but hardly ever check their fleet vehicles' pressures.

Bingo. Checking tires and fluid levels upon taking delivery of a car is pretty standard with me...and totally, totally worth the small trouble it takes.