Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Harmony - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Volkswagen
imageHarmony - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Take one automotive editor, a wife who doesn't share his automotive idiosyncrasies, and make them search for a new family car. The 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI surprisingly becomes common ground.

Read the full story here

Comments

• overthelimitoverthelimit Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I have one 9 year old daughter and we've managed well with a large sedan. Like you, I would much prefer a wagon. However, the 3 series, Jetta, old TSX and Volvo V60 are all too small. An Outback is too rugged. An Audi Allroad is too rugged AND too expensive. I'd like something classy like an E-class wagon but that's too expensive. My ideal ride would be the Passat wagon that was just released in Europe because it's stylish and elegant but still roomy, practical and affordable. I really wish VW would offer something similar in the states. I can't be the only one that thinks this way... Ultimately, I'll probably wait for the refreshed 2016 Passat to be released next year and continue with the large sedan offering.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    Why not get something full size like an Impalla? or a charger? the Dodge dealerships around where i live seem VERY motivated to move chargers off the lots and you can get an almost fully loaded v6 model for well under 30k. My problem with VW is at least the Dealer here sells for too close to sticker price (lucky if you get $1000 off) and it just is not worth it to take that much of a depreciation hit. If you want a road tripper i say get a full size car. If you like the fusion i would say get the tuarus because ive driven them both and behind the wheel you can't tell the difference between the two of them they drive the same but the taurus has a lot more room and a TON more visibility.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188

My wife and I have one 9 year old daughter and we've managed well with a large sedan. Like you, I would much prefer a wagon. However, the 3 series, Jetta, old TSX and Volvo V60 are all too small. An Outback is too rugged. An Audi Allroad is too rugged AND too expensive. I'd like something classy like an E-class wagon but that's too expensive. My ideal ride would be the Passat wagon that was just released in Europe because it's stylish and elegant but still roomy, practical and affordable. I really wish VW would offer something similar in the states. I can't be the only one that thinks this way... Ultimately, I'll probably wait for the refreshed 2016 Passat to be released next year and continue with the large sedan offering.

What about a Forester XT? not as "rugged" but fun to drive and lots of room and more room than a 3 series and plenty of grunt. Maybe you can find a CPO mercedes E class wagon and all your problems would be solved!

I appreciate the suggestions, bassracerx, but to my eye the Forester is even less appealing than the Outback. Plus it's ride height is more like an SUV than a wagon. And while I like the idea of a CPO E-class wagon, I just can't justify $35-40k when it already has 40k or more miles on it... Alas, I may be more picky than I realize but if I can't find a cheap sexy wagon than I'll probably lean more toward a sedan than an SUV. Unless VW surprises me :)
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85

This is me 100%. A Passat Wagon would me ideal for me, perhaps even a Passat Wagon with AWD. It doesn't exist in the US so I drive a 2013 Passat sedan. It's a great car for my three-person family, and only rarely have I missed the utility of AWD or a wagon/crossover's cargo space.

• big_al_62big_al_62 Member Posts: 5
    Personally, the Passat is a good car overall, looks and structure wise. However, on the technology front, quite a bit of improvements are needed. On the outside, for example, the car needs LED tail lights and HID headlights. Inside, the car needs USB port(s). In addition, the infotainment system needs certain internet search capabilities, such as the ability to use search engines, Yelp, etc., on road trips. If many other competitors can do it, why not this car? Cutting costs (and equipment) to compete with others is not going to be a convincing argument anymore.
    big_al_62 said:

Personally, the Passat is a good car overall, looks and structure wise. However, on the technology front, quite a bit of improvements are needed. On the outside, for example, the car needs LED tail lights and HID headlights. Inside, the car needs USB port(s). In addition, the infotainment system needs certain internet search capabilities, such as the ability to use search engines, Yelp, etc., on road trips. If many other competitors can do it, why not this car? Cutting costs (and equipment) to compete with others is not going to be a convincing argument anymore.

I agree, Big Al. I'm anxiously waiting for next year when they release the 2016 model year Passat for North America. From all my research it is supposed to address all of those technology points and also improve upon the cosmetics a little bit.