Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Compass starting problems

willieboy1955willieboy1955 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Jeep
2012 jeep compass is experiencing starting problems. it has refused to start 3 times in the last several months and has been towed to dealership each time. analysis indicates no problems. vehicle seems to start after towing episodes and jeep refuses to investigate any further. vehicle presently at dealership after having been towed last night. my daughter drives this vehicle and i am very concerned for her safety. anyone else experienced this problem?

Comments

• Options
    jeep is actually a 2014 model
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

jeep is actually a 2014 model

By "analysis" I'm guessing you mean they checked to see if any error codes were coming up. With nothing else to go on, I'm thinking it must be some kind of fuel supply problem. Maybe a small leak in the fuel line somewhere that's bleeding off the fuel pressure when the car sits for a while. I had a vehicle that had a similar starting issue and that's what was going on.
    To explain it simply... Normally, when you shut off the car, the fuel line holds the pressure that the fuel pump has created so the engine will have fuel "ready to go" when you start up the next time. If there's a small leak that bleed off that pressure, the car might not start right away. Have you noticed that the "no start" happens after the car sits for a period of time?

My workaround until we pinpointed the leak was to turn the key to the ON position for a couple of seconds before turning it to START and trying to start the engine. When you turn the key to ON, that starts the fuel pump running which gets that fuel pressure back up. When you turn it to ON, you can hear (at least I can most times) the fuel pump running (will sound sort of like an electric motor running).

Next time your car doesn't start, give that a try. Turn to ON for about 5 seconds, then try to start. If it then starts right up, I'd wager you have a leak in the fuel line somewhere. The leak might be small enough that you won't smell any gasoline. The times I noticed a gas smell were actually just after I shut off the car. The fuel line was under pressure and that's when the smell was most noticeable. If you've been away from the car, the leaked gas had already evaporated and there was no smell.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    thanks!
  • Options

thanks!

Be sure to update us on how things turn out. Since it's a new vehicle, it might be as simple as a fitting that wasn't tightened or something that slipped through a quality control check.
  • Options
    purchase dealership took vehicle back. 3 dealerships for a total of 9 days trying to duplicate condition and none able to correct. no code present when vehicle did not start. leads me to believe there is a problem in the power module or the wiring. apparently car computer is reset when short occurs or no signal from trouble spot is sent when condition occurs.
  • Options

purchase dealership took vehicle back. 3 dealerships for a total of 9 days trying to duplicate condition and none able to correct. no code present when vehicle did not start. leads me to believe there is a problem in the power module or the wiring. apparently car computer is reset when short occurs or no signal from trouble spot is sent when condition occurs.

Sometimes the gremlins are hard to pin down! Sounds like it's going to work out for you in the end.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    These are some of the toughest problems to tackle. When you really understand everything that today's cars are capable of, it allows certain things to be very effectively ruled out. Since the evaporative emissions system can detect any leak at all, a fuel leak is actually ruled out, and besides there is no way that it would be that random. Plus a fuel leak could make for a hard to start, but not a no-start.

As a technician that would routinely have to figure something like this out there are important details that would help get a sense of direction. When the no-start occurs, does the engine crank but not start, or does it not crank at all? Are there any other systems that are observed to be non-functional such as power windows, power seats, radio, blower motor? Of the lamps that perform their regular key on test in the instrument cluster, are any of them missing when the no-start occurs?

The only scan tool that can be used on a 2014, and especially with a problem as complicated as this one would be is the Factory WiTech. One of the problems you face with this is that it is still under warranty so nobody other than a dealer technician would have any experience with the electronic systems that are on your car, and to make it worse only a precious few independents would have that factory scan tool to even try if it wasn't under warranty. Frankly, problems like this one are exactly why the lemon law exists. They have had three chances and its not that the tech isn't capable, the situation is simply stacked against him/her with the problem being so random I nature. Besides now that it has been looked at more than once its not like the tech would be getting paid for any time that he/she would spend with your car anyway.

Tell them to lemon law it and get your daughter into another car. JMHO.

• Options
    compassjosecompassjose Member Posts: 1
    I just see your ADD I have the same problem on my car .....I buy my car in USA brand new is a 2012 Jeep Compass and I used it for One year there after that I ship my car to Peru South America and 3 months ago I suffer the same problem @ mornings I try to start it and doesnt start the car...I have to gas the pedal and it start very poor then I start driving and in a couples of streets car stop running and I have to press the gas pedal again to start it very poor. Simple I was take my car to a friend of mine and he take out the throttle body and cleans up then he clean the injectors and no more problem car is more quick and start in one every morning. Never the Check engine on the car was ON light the scanner doesnt say nothing is just clean the throttle body and does it.
    Try it and let me now.
  • Options
    jeepcompas902jeepcompas902 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2016 Jeep Compass that I purchased as a second owner from a dealership that is NOT an authorized Jeep Dealership. I bought the vehicle in mid June of 2017 and the mileage was just shy of 28,000. I also purchased the extended warranty the salesman offered at the time of purchase. The vehicle has been back to the dealer's service center for problems with the horn not working 3 times, one of those included the audible sound for the seat belt not working and then two additional times for the car not starting. Every time I take it to the dealer for repairs, they say that they are not able to duplicate the problem. They finally fixed the problem with the horn on the third trip back to the service center, but I'm still having problems with the car not starting when I get the vehicle home. The car won't start unless I turn the key off, turn it back on, take the car out of park and put it in drive then back to park, shut the car off and then turn the key back on. The dealer has had the vehicle for weeks at a time but are not able to duplicate the problem. If I understand my state's lemon laws (Virginia), the law doesn't apply to me because I'm not the first owner of the vehicle.Any suggestions here are most appreciated. At this point I'm not sure what my options are.
  • Options
    Electrical gremlins can be difficult to find/duplicate. But since you're going through a sequence that includes taking it out of park, putting it in drive and then back into park to get it to start, I'm leaning towards a failing neutral safety switch as the culprit.
  • Options
    jeepcompas902jeepcompas902 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response. The dealer has been great with trying to determine the problem and every time I take it in for repair they provide a loaner vehicle while my jeep is being repaired. They were able to determine that the TIPM needs to be replaced. Just waiting for the part. Very happy they were able to duplicate the problem....for a minute there, I thought I was going crazy.
  • Options
    Hopefully that takes care of you. Everything electrical goes through the TIPM, so it's a reasonable cause. Glad it worked out. Be sure to update us!!