Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Head-Up Display Failure - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Mazda
imageHead-Up Display Failure - 2014 Mazda Mazda3 S Long-Term Road Test

This update to Edmunds' long-term Mazda 3 includes details on the car's head-up display.

Read the full story here

Comments

• darexdarex Member Posts: 187
    edited November 2014
    This system is SO much better implemented on the MINI Cooper, not to mention it's in color.

Having experienced the system on the Mazda3, it's not surprising yours is broken.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Who didn't see this coming? Moving parts will eventually fail and this poor little screen that has to do this dance every time the car is started was doomed for failure.
  • emajoremajor Member Posts: 332
    Yup. As expected. When I test drove one of these the first thing I thought of when I saw the HUD rise up was "Huh, how long until *that* stops working?"

Gimmicks are fun, especially when you get unique ones like this for compact car money. But the fact remains it is still an economy-oriented compact car. The gimmicks are fun until they break. Then you realize it was a superfluous gimmick, and because you didn't buy a sports car, luxury car, or exotic, you're therefore probably not willing or happy to pay for fixing this kind of thing.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    emajor said:

Yup. As expected. When I test drove one of these the first thing I thought of when I saw the HUD rise up was "Huh, how long until *that* stops working?"

I don't know that I expect failure, but I'm with you on some things not being necessary to make a car "functional"
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    If there was ever a feature begging for an off button....
  • legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    Having the screen move up and down each time the car is turned on/off is just silly. It's one of those things that is designed for the showroom and test drive experience but not the ownership experience.
    legacygt said:

Having the screen move up and down each time the car is turned on/off is just silly. It's one of those things that is designed for the showroom and test drive experience but not the ownership experience.

Ugh, it really does that? Slide up and down like some annoying pop-up ad?
    Worse: it lays flat, completely unprotected, then FLIPS up.
    edited November 2014
    For comparison:
    http://youtu.be/y9LUnLeLSgA

http://youtu.be/lC9EcTV9Ir0

Which of the two looks more likely to snap right off?
    Yea, sometimes you have to wonder what designers are thinking about!
  • bonzjrbonzjr Member Posts: 44
    I have to admit that this is the one feature on my new 3 that I'm most leary of making it for the 10 years/150K miles I usually keep a car. My '94 Miata (still have it) and '02 Protege served their time with near perfect mechanical records but that's because they are so darn simple. Our 2009 Mazda 6 with a pretty decent amount of kit and electronics has been reliable so far so there's that.

But the new 3 has a few items -- like this HUD -- that seem to be a tad more complex than necessary. My concern related to the post: I thought I was crazy one day about two weeks ago when I got in and had trouble seeing the info on the HUD. So I adjusted it thinking maybe it reset or something. Today I got in it and again thought the information was hard to see so I went back into the settings and actually realized it was where it's supposed to be. So I think -- very slowly -- the same thing is starting to happen. The HUD isn't popping up to the proper fully-deployed position. Even worse: mine is a 2015 model and only has a few thousand miles on it. So this might be something that's not an early build bug but a real problem with a somewhat unnecessary overly-complicated expensive piece of equipment that'll be a pain to replace if it fails when the warranty expires. I don't like being a beta tester...
  • wheelmccoywheelmccoy Member Posts: 97
    darex said:

For comparison:

Hah! The only thing MINI makes more reliable than Mazda! ;)
  • mlin32mlin32 Member Posts: 35
    I'm also pretty sure this is the first thing that will break on my Mazda3 as well. At least there's the warranty........
  • glossgloss Member Posts: 150
    darex said:

For comparison:
    http://youtu.be/y9LUnLeLSgA

http://youtu.be/lC9EcTV9Ir0

Faulty argument. Just because the mechanism is hidden doesn't mean it's any less likely to break. It's still just plastic gears.