Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tall Box Sides - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Chevrolet
imageTall Box Sides - 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.com conducts a long-term test of the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and finds that the sides of its box are taller than expected.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    quadricyclequadricycle Member Posts: 827
    Ha! Remember when you could do that full-size trucks? In all seriousness though, I had also hoped that bed height would be lower on these trucks.
  • Options
    bankerdannybankerdanny Member Posts: 1,021
    I don't get this complaint at all.

First, you got an off-road package 4x4, so of course the suspension is higher. Could you reach over the edge of the Raptor? What about the Ram?

Second, mid-sized has to do with length, width, and weight, not bed depth. I would expect that the bed depth on the Colorado would be the same as the Ram, Sierra, and F-series. It is the bed length that should be smaller.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2014
    You could just lower the tailgate, and put the object in the bed. I'd rather have a deep bed with high bed walls, especially if the bed is short and narrow.
  • Options
    jeepsrtjeepsrt Member Posts: 88
    I'm 6'6 and can barely reach over into the bed of my Raptor, I like the look of the higher bed rails though.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I just lift stuff up to knee level and toss it in the back of my minivan. Oh, I may have to rearrange the two bikes bungied in there occasionally or slide the cooler over (it's NM, the cooler lives in the car for unexpected stops for milk). No worries about rain or theft. Greasy items go on a tarp. All in all, I'd rather have an El Camino or Ranchero with an accessible bed.
  • Options
    bc1960bc1960 Member Posts: 171
    I noticed this and thought it was ironic since just a few years ago Chevy advertising repeatedly skewered Ford for the F150's tall bed sides. BTW, @bankerdanny, the 4x2 is the same height as the 4x4. But now that Chevy is with the tall-bed program, they do offer their own variation of the optional "man step".
  • Options
    ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    I agree with this entry...I have noticed how crazy high all pickup beds now sit. I can remember riding around in the bed of an old Dodge D50 and easily jumping out over the sides. Yes, that wasn't safe because of the obvious reasons, but today it would be unsafe because the drop down to the ground after you jumped out would break your ankle!
  • Options
    agent0090agent0090 Member Posts: 26
    That's about the same height as the FiL's base-model Ridgeline. (I'm 6'2".) Can't really say that it bothers either of us when we're using it.
  • Options
    galtwallygaltwally Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the ACTUAL "Ground to top" of side rail dimensions for the various Colorado models? I need the LOWER the better. It has to "tuck under" an existing small 5th wheel trailer.