Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cruise Control - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Jaguar
imageCruise Control - 2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe Long-Term Road Test

Using the cruise control isn't something you typically associate with a 550-horsepower supercar like our long-term 2015 Jaguar F-Type, but with the Jag's setup, it's easy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    I have wondered about that on other cars. Why do you need to turn it off and on? Does the circuitry really use THAT much power. I look forward to the (hopefully) near future when you simply push a button that essentially says "Car, start auto driving on this highway" and it does it.
  • Options
    schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433
    Acura also requires you to turn it "on," but at least you can always just leave it on. It doesn't reset to "off" after restarting the car.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Although this is convenient I could see how someone could press set by accident and be very surprised when they lift their foot and the car doesn't slow down. How much more time and effort does it take to press "on".
  • Options
    chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208

Although this is convenient I could see how someone could press set by accident and be very surprised when they lift their foot and the car doesn't slow down. How much more time and effort does it take to press "on".

Agreed. My Civic has a button to enable the cruise control and then another to set a speed. The first button can be left depressed, so it doesn't have to be re-enabled every time I start the engine. Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if someone else is driving your car and isn't too familiar with it. Last thing you'd want is for someone to absentmindedly set the cruise control when they intended to change the volume or radio station with the steering wheel controls (Sadly, I know people that would probably end up doing this).

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    edited November 2014
    i'm sure it's safety related. Taking that extra step of turning on the cruise control via a master switch greatly reduces the chance of activating it by accident.
  • Options
    legacygtlegacygt Member Posts: 599
    I thought that the on/off for cruise control was a regulatory requirement. Maybe it's not but it's definitely a safety precaution: http://www.cartalk.com/content/why-does-cruise-control-have-extra-button
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    rsholland said:

i'm sure it's safety related. Taking that extra step of turning on the cruise control via a master switch greatly reduces the chance of activating it by accident.

I'm sure it has to be safety related. Imagine that the rocker switch that lets you resume/accelerate somehow got stuck or shorted in that position. you'd need the on/off to disengage.
  • Options
    farvyfarvy Member Posts: 34
    There is no regulatory requirement for this, otherwise the Jag would have an On/Off switch. Mercedes do not have a switch, either. System is always armed & ready. So it's probably just a conservative approach having an On/Off switch. As chol92594 noted, Honda still uses a swoitch, & I remember them when I had a string of three Preludes in the 80's & 90's.
  • Options
    allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    I do like the Honda approach. Hondas gives you an always on option. When it is on the "Cruise" light is always on to let you know that the system is active.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

I do like the Honda approach. Hondas gives you an always on option. When it is on the "Cruise" light is always on to let you know that the system is active.

I can't think of a car we've had that didn't have an indicator light to let us know that cruise is engaged
  • Options
    agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I have the "instant on" cruise on my XKR. Hasn't killed me yet.