Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine Break-In Road Trip - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2014 in Volkswagen
imageEngine Break-In Road Trip - 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI Long-Term Road Test

I spent over 10 hours and 500 miles in our long-term 2015 Volkswagen Golf GTI. Here's what we saw.

Read the full story here

Comments

• s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    bittersweet to see those pics. love the views but there is nothing like that around me... i'd really like to spend some extended time out in california.

curious if the gti has runflats, spare, or inflation/goo kit. i think i'd have to know the vehicle i am driving on a dirt road like that had a spare or runflats or forgetaboutit.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    there is a spare according to leith vw of raleigh.

http://www.leithvwraleigh.com/blogs/657/volkswagen-raleigh-gti-review/
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    s197gt said:

bittersweet to see those pics. love the views but there is nothing like that around me... i'd really like to spend some extended time out in california.

Agreed. Here in western PA, we've entered 6 months of gray and gloom. I could get used to the scenery there, but not the wacky policies, politics, or cost of living.
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    So how is this a break in road trip and it has 2,000 miles on it?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

So how is this a break in road trip and it has 2,000 miles on it?

Perhaps a better term would have been "shakedown cruise"
  • fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    They like to drag this stuff out...all of this happened ages ago. Same thing with the "upcoming" track test.

To my knowledge, all VWs have a spare, and most of them have a full-size spare - my wife had a 2000 Passat GLS wagon, my sister-in-law has a 2009 Rabbit, my brother-in-law had a 2001 GTI GLX and I have a 2011 GTI Autobahn - all with a full size spare.
  • ek900ek900 Member Posts: 39
    I know I'm not the majority-opinion, but these pics reinforce to me how much nicer the Golf looks as a 3-door. I've always preferred them without the stubby, odd-angled rear doors.
  • dgcamerodgcamero Member Posts: 148
    The MK5 and MK6 GTIs had real spare tires standard, but they were 16" steel whees with Jetta sized all season tires. Great idea, can't possibly cost them much more or weigh or take up much more space than a donut. I appreciated it tremendously when I got a slow leaking nail a day before I had to drive 1000+ miles on a road trip...and didn't have time to get the nail repaired.
    ek900 said:

I know I'm not the majority-opinion, but these pics reinforce to me how much nicer the Golf looks as a 3-door. I've always preferred them without the stubby, odd-angled rear doors.

Check out the difference in insurance costs between the 3 and 5 door...and you might change your tune. I'd kinda like a 2 door for the longer door's longer armrest...but it would be less convenient overall...and there's that damn insurance.

• fordson1fordson1 Unconfirmed Posts: 1,512
    I tend to think that if it has a good-sized rear seat, get the 4-door. If not, don't - nobody is clamoring for four doors on a Mustang. The Golf/GTI has a large rear seat.

Also, some cars, like for example a Honda Accord, have a completely different coupe-type body style for the two-door...but with the GTI or Golf, it's exactly the same body regardless of how many doors...so the idea that two doors rather than four is going to make any great difference in the looks of this car is questionable.