Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Venza in Flames

kmw52kmw52 Member Posts: 2
edited December 2013 in Toyota
A friend drove into work in her 2009 Venza. As she parked. the engine went up in flames. She's okay, but the vehicle isn't. This just happened today 4-15-2010 in front of scores people. Has anyone else had this problem? Toyota says there isn't a problem.

Comments

• halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    I find these stories incredible. So far Toyotas have been accused of being runaway cars to having exploding engines.

What's next? Toyotas starting all by themselves and chasing down people? Can't wait to see the headlines.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    Too bad it caught fire.. would have been more beneficial if it had suddenly accelerated or something more beneficial to the owner. I think a very large portion of the toyota problem is related to the new american dream - "get rich quick without working for it". Sooo if you can't win the lottery maybe you can sue somebody. Somebody with deep pockets like Toyota.
  • kmw52kmw52 Member Posts: 2
    You're out of gas. My girlfriend and her husband have no intention of suing Toyota or anyone else. The plan: They have put in an insurance claim and they will let the insurance company settle with Toyota. Meanwhile, my girlfriend still wants her Venza. He husband had given it to her only a few months before as a surprise birthday present and she still wants one, just not one that bursts into flames, And by the way, all the action (flames and all) took place on the grounds of a prison as people were coming into work, so it is not only on tape, but the witnesses are all police and corrections officers. It shows my girlfriend leaving the car and entering the prison just minutes before the thing would have been a death trap or did you want her to die?
  • mccrostimccrosti Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you have any supporting documentation for this, maybe a newspaper article? Or television news coverage? Certainly a car that "burst into flames" especially a Toyota would have gotten tons of coverage. Just post a link here.
    Thanks.
  • halwickhalwick Member Posts: 45
    Hmmm. This story is getting better...and more intriguing. Sounds more like a case of sabotage, than a defective car. I'm not saying by whom, or implying anything, but it just sounds suspicious that it happened on prison grounds. The insurance investigator's findings should be very interesting. Good luck with your claim.
  • md_outbackmd_outback Member Posts: 185
    edited April 2010
    One potential cause that happened to my daughter's Nissan Rogue recently: I noticed some smoke coming from the engine area (hot engine) and opened the hood to find what appeared to be an animal nest made up of dried grass and twigs near the exhaust manifold. I was able to remove it before it flamed, but I could see where this could have been much worse. Something like this could happen to any vehicle, so it's a good idea to look under the hood on a regular basis.
  • marvin6marvin6 Member Posts: 72
    Oh my! This is not a good thing to happen a family vehicle - or any vehicle for that matter. Perhaps if the local newpaper or tv station is aware of this you could post some further details on this horrible incident.
  • esbuckesbuck Member Posts: 1
    Today I parked my Vensa and shortly after it burst into flames, totalling the car.
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    These stories could substitute George Bush for venza and have more credibility. On black friday while waiting 4 hours to save $2 on a can of injection cleaner, my venza was assaulted by a walmart crowd. No injuries were reported so it didn't make the papers.... :blush:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I don't understand your post.

In 2011, there were 219,000 vehicle fires, causing 300 deaths. You sound like cars never catch on fire.

National Fire Protection Association
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure there are lots of fires every year, but to just post a claim about a car burning then opt not to post a clipping of it (at the request of another poster) or state where the fire took place (other than a prison - lots of those in the US, too) leaves me to to question the validity of the post. Until I see a link to an article giving credit to the spontaneous venza fire I will have to raise the "bs" flag. I would, however, like to see the article if such an event did take place as I'm sure it would have been all over the news. At the time of the original post, toyota was taking a blood bath in the press and it is beyond me how I could have possibly missed this article or the venza owners posting on this site could have missed that article.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited November 2012
    There's actually three "fire" posts in this small discussion (one "potential" one was snuffed out in a Nissan).

There's a couple of other Venza ones on the net, but if you want news stories about them, the fire either needs to be local to you or involve the house burning down as a result - even then it takes a burning Fisher Karma to make the national news.

Kind of glad I have a detached garage.
  • tzelskitzelski Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Toyota Venza that after driving 5 miles stopped at my house and the engine burst into flames
  • tzelskitzelski Member Posts: 2
    here is my 2010 Venza in my driveway , Nov 25 2014
  • jasmine80jasmine80 Member Posts: 2
    I'd like to comment that my husband was stopped at a light Thursday night when a woman began pointing frantically to our 2012 Toyota Venza....and started screaming that his car was on fire..When my husband ran out, he swatted at the fire, burning his hands. The fire was coming from the fog light and had caught to the bumper.. Toyota first said they never heard of this, and is telling us if its not covered in the warranty we will have to pay???? I'm just shocked, whose car turns on fire???!! This is insane and ridiculous for toyota to even insinuate this..mind you one of the reps informed me, someone's battery exploded last week inside a brand new car ruining the engine and they made the guy pay over $3,200 because it was not included in the wear and tear???

• Randy_2020Randy_2020 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2020
    I also had a 2014 Toyota Venza that just began burning while parked with no warning. Wondering if this is a common problem with Venzas?