Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

HELP ! What could be wrong with the car ?

maxm357maxm357 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2014 in Subaru
Hi ! I have been looking to purchase a Subaru and i came across one that was in a crash but has a clean title.

I can see that the front tire is bent, but i am not really educated, could someone help me out and see how much it would cost to fix? if possible could you include the cost for the 2 doors and the front fender.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited November 2014
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX right?

I'd say the car is totaled. We have door damage (needs new door), rear quarter damage, front fender damage, front splash pan damage, sprung hood, obvious suspension damage, possible axle or transaxle damage, and very likely floor pan and door jamb deformation, and unibody damage requiring a frame pull. No way you're going to come out fixing this car. Just save up and buy a really nice one for $6000 bucks. This car is worth whatever a wrecking yard will pay for it.

Also I don't see how it can have a "clean title" unless the accident was never reported and no claim made.
  • Options
    In my area a 2002 wrx with 150k sells for 7k i am not fond of the bugeye and i do not like 06-09. i am only in the market for 04 - 05 and one is selling for 9k with multiple problems. needs to have body work done and then repainted, brake and abs light is on, needs new tires, rust. but it is the one that comes with heated seats/ sunroof. but I am mostly looking for a cheap one that i can fix that will not cost me more that 5k as i am on a tight budget. The car in the picture is on auction and isn't getting much attention.
  • Options
    ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    maxm357 said:

The car in the picture is on auction and isn't getting much attention.

Likely because of the reasons Mr Shifty pointed out.
  • Options
    You just have to shop more. You can definitely get clean WRXs 2004-2005 in the $7K--$10K range. Here's one in California:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/4763168017.html

I think what you're seeing is a) asking prices, which are nothing more than the seller exercising his First Amendment rights to say whatever he wants or b) cars that have been built from the tuner catalog and have LOTS of $$$ poured into them.

It's not an easy car to find that hasn't been modified or beat to death, that's true.

Nonetheless, the car you showed us is toast--gone, finito. It's at auction because the insurance company paid it off and shipped it to Co-Part or some such similar storage yard to be sold off, most likely for parts.

The problem with cars in this condition is that there are too many "unknowns"--you can go in and start paying someone to fix it and then they find more and more problems---just burying you.

If you apply a lot of effort, you WILL find a good car at a good price. Your focus and desire will attract the vehicle!
  • Options
    Are you saying it isn't possible for me to fix it ? as in buy new doors a new fender and whatever i need for the front end. Or would it cost more that 7k-10k to fix it.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    That's correct. It wouldn't be possible for you to fix it without special skills and equipment and yes, it will cost more than $7K to repair. You have to keep in mind that this is a unibody car--it has no "frame"---the body is the entire structure, and it has been T-boned.

Here's a diagram of this Subaru BEFORE and this Subaru AFTER the accident:

So, first off you have to pull the frame straight on a frame machine using (probably) laser technology to dial it in.

Then you'll have to weld and repair any areas of torn or buckled floorpan.

Then you have to carefully align the door frame so that a new door will fit. (tricky)

Then you have to bang out and refinish the rear quarter, front quarter, and hood.

Then you have to repair the damaged front sub-frame and whatever suspension parts have been bent

Then you'll probably have to replace the right door panel and various trim pieces (I don't remember, is the glass broken?)

Then you have to paint everything to match the original paint

If you're determined to do it anyway, at least hire a professional bodyman to look over the car before you buy it.
  • Options
    Alright. this is the link to haha it is on copart like you said http://www.copart.com/c2/individualLot.html?lotId=24824744&searchType=onSaleNow
    And would it be possible to go below 7k if i pulled the engine and trans and put them into a different WRX Body ? also, what would be the right price for the car ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    ah, I see the trunk was hit, too. Well it doesn't look like the bottom sill was deformed, so that's good, but it still looks like an easy $7,000 damage or more---so I'd say if you bid on it, go way cheap on it---no more than you can afford to lose if it turns out that your mystery motor is no good (that's a lot of miles on a turbo motor). Maybe $800---you can always sell the transmission for that I would think, if it's any good.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Looking at those pictures, it makes me wonder which car ran the red light/stop sign.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert