Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Technical Service Bulletins

Comments

• irene13irene13 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if a TSB has been issued for the noise in some Monte Carlo 2000 gas tank?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    irene13-

I just checked and don't see a thing about that. I do see something about noise in the windows going down or when on a bumpy road and A/C not working as expected in humid weather. If you go here- http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov and bookmark it, you can check out the short version of the TSB's for your car. Just click on problems and issues and then put in the info for the car you want to check.

fastdriver
  • irene13irene13 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info.
  • z71offroadz71offroad Member Posts: 14
    I read somewhere that you can go to the library and get the print outs. not sure if they print them off the web or not. he said you could get a few pages for free than had to pay for them. I haven't tried it but its worth a try.

nhtsa does give an explanation of the TSB
    http://www.nhtsa.com/
    http://www.alldata.com/
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I own a 1995 Windstar and a 1995 Mustang, both with 3.8L engines. The Mustang blew a head gasket several months ago at 64,000 miles. We have just received Service Program Number 00M09 that indicates Ford is extending the warranty on the '94 and '95 Taurus and Windstar 3.8L engines that blow a head gasket, but a query about the same engine in the Mustang brought the response, basically, that not enough have blown in the Mustangs for Ford to do the same for them. I know of another '95 Mustang that has just blown a head gasket in our little town, and would like to know if there are others having the problem.
  • pat455pat455 Member Posts: 603
    You should check out Mustang 3.8l V6 Blown Head Gaskets (Topic #1088), just click on that link to get there. You might want to repost in that topic.

Good luck.

Pat
    Community Leader/Maintenance & Repair Conference
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    What were you thinking??? Fix or repair daily, or found on road dead!!!(F.O.R.D) Use good judgement. This is AMERICIA, and remember, let the buyer beware!!!
    I appreciate the link to the topic listing others with the same problem.
    I appreciate your concern for my sanity for buying a Ford. I assure you there are others out there that would question it if I had bought a Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, etc., as well.

My experience with Ford has been positive over the years. My Father was on the Police force of a large city, and the Chief of Police for a lot of years, so he got to see how well the various manufacturer's vehicles held up to the abusive use police cars receive, and based on that he would own only Fords. I would assume from that, since he was an intelligent man, that he felt they gave the fewest problems. It is obvious, however, that the performance and reliability of Ford vehicles has not been maintained. If it will make you feel better about me, however, I assure you when I replace vehicles it won't be with another Ford, or probably any of the other American big 3.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    Your Dodge 4x4 problem may not be brakes. Dodge had a lot of problems with front suspension track bars, that is the bar that connects to the axel on the right side through a rubber bushing, and a small ball and socket joint, similar to a tie rod to the frame on the left side. The left side often fails by having excess movement. This cause the truck to handle badly and veer unexpectantly during braking. With the truck in PARK (neutral with a stick) and the brake set, have someone turn the steering wheel from top at 10:00 o'clock to top at 2:00 back and forth several times. Look at the frame end of the track bar and observe motion. If the ball and socket moves more than an eigth inch, replace the track bar. (Improved part from Chrysler, list about $395.00)

Harry
  • chrijoshchrijosh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Chevy Cavalier and am having a peculiar problem with my wipers.

The wipers do not return to thier proper rest position when the switch is turned off. They just stop in thier "tracks" .

I have thought that maybe it is a switch problem in the wiper stalk or could it be a faulty wiper motor like my local Chevy dealer wants me to believe?
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    If they are intermittent wipers,then it may be cause by the delay controller that is attached to the wiper motor,if they are not delay wipers,then it is the park mechanism in the wiper motor and will require replacing the wiper motor.
    I read on the internet that Ford has decided to cover the '95 Mustang 3.8L head gasket problem, but it is so new I still haven't seen anything official on it. Mine was repaired by Langdale Ford in Valdosta, and when they were asked if it was true, replied it was true, pulled my paperwork, processed it on their own, and within a week I received a check in the mail covering the refund. My hat's off to a Ford dealer that knows how to satisfy customers.
  • yellowbugyellowbug Member Posts: 7
    Owners of VW's and Audi's can go to http://tech.vw.com/ and get technical service bulletins, campaign circulars, and service circulars for free. I'd like to see all auto manufacturers make these available for free.

You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these. You can download the viewer for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readermain.html
  • tsanderlintsanderlin Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone substantiate what my dealer tells me about the Bridgestone 235X60R16 tires that are standard equipment. He say there are no alignment problems although my tires are wearing scalloping badly on the inside fronts! and my problem is junk tires. Has anyone else had similar experiences? What is the fix? How large in diameter will fit my Suzuki. I 4X4 in sand a lot and need the clearance and tire flex.
    Why don't you go to this topic: Tires (Topic #16) and post your question there. There is someone hanging out there who I suspect will be able to answer all your tire questions.

Pat
  • jstampjstamp Member Posts: 3
    I want to see more than just the summary. Is there a way to get a copy of an entire TSB?
    jstamp-

Go to message #104 above to find the answer on how to do this.

fastdriver
  • wcv1wcv1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having starting problems with a '93 Ford Taurus Wagon. It does not occur all the time, but enough to make the car unreliable. When the ignition is turned on there are times when the engine light does not light and the car fails to turn over. The engine cranks but doesn't start. When this light doesn't come on you don't hear the buzzing sound that indicates the fuel pump is working. I've already replaced the fuel pump and a number of ignition components. I haven't been able to simulate the problem for my mechanic, who I think is pretty reliable. He doesn't want to replace any additional parts without pinpointing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? Does anyone know of any dealer recalls for this type of problem?
    Have your mechanic look at TSB# 95-10-2 and 93-13-5
    I think the first one may pertain to your problem.
  • fbradbu1fbradbu1 Member Posts: 4
    How do I get all of Honda's TSB's on paint problams for Preludes, CR-X, and Civics?
    fbradbu1-

Try going to http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov Click on problems and issues in the 2nd column under the red car. Then click on TSB and put in the info for the car you want to find out about.

If you want the FULL TSB, go back up in this topic and look for the message that I posted about how to get them. I don't remember the exact number, although 120 rings a bell. You can't miss it. It's quite long.

fastdriver
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    That these "technical service bulletins" are nothing more than the complaint database? I find it hard to believe that the NTHSA would issue a service bulletin for diagnosing cell phone problems, etc. They just look an awful lot like the same info in the complaint database.
    NTHSA does NOT issue a Technical Service Bulletin at all!!The Technical Service Bulletin is issued by the manufacturer and it's sole purpose is to assist their technicians in repairing their vehicles.So,yes,they are somewhat of a complaint database as the manufacturer produces the bulletins based on complaints from customers and technicians.The manufacturer releases the TSB to the dealers,and to NHTSA as a courtesy to them,to show that they are attempting to correct any situations that they know about.
    Safety recalls are a different story,NHTSA has a say in what recalls are put out.They can literally force a manufacturer into issueing a safety recall on a vehicle,which should not be confused with a mechanical recall,in which the manufacturer recieves numerous complaints on a mechanical item and decide to cut their losses and recall the item to save face,as was the case in the Ford 3.8l heads.Hope this clears things up for you.
  • jamesk9jamesk9 Member Posts: 18
    I have a 1993 Dodge Intrepid. The car now has 135,000 miles on the odometer. The factory option keyless entry system option over time (1-2 month)started failed to work, and now no longer works at all. I tried a number of avenues to investigate. I looked for some actual TSB regarding this issue, and tried to locate the keyless entry receiving module using the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manuals. The key-fob has not been damaged, the batteries are good, and the connections do not seem damaged inside. I visually reviewed the circuit board and did not notice any breaks. What is my best approach to diagnosing the problem. Considering the key-fob stopped working over time, my guess is a loose connection, however, as mentioned above, I could not locate the receiving unit. Other thoughts related to failures in the receiving unit antenna, a faulty door sensor, or just a loose connection somewhere? I would greatly appreciate some advice as I just bought a 1998 Plymouth Voyager, and will probably need all my money for its' repairs.
  • racer_x_9racer_x_9 Member Posts: 91
    I had the same thing happen on a 1990 Cutlass Supreme. It turned out the key-fob was bad. Shake your key-fob, if it makes a noise (like something rattling around inside) it could be bad.

When you come home do you throw your keys on a desk or table? This contributes to the failure of the fob.

I think the new fob was $70 wholesale and retailed for $90. Once you get it you need to then program it.

You'll need someone with that knowledge or a shop manual or pay the dealer.

Good luck.
    The remote was not poorly treated, however, it probably received its fair share of abuse. I took the remote apart and could not find any visual damage, however, something could be burnt out. Any idea where the control module is for the keyless entry as I would like to check the power and antenna connectors. Also, any idea where i can get access to Chrysler's TSB without having to pay for them?
    Actually, there has been a lot of discussion in this topic on how to obtain TSBs. Just use the "jump" or "scroll" choices at the top of this page (under the topic title) to review the rest of this topic and you will see lots of information on how to find what you need.

Pat
    jamesk9-

If you go to message # 104 above, I have all the info there on how to get the full NHTSA TSB for free.

fastdriver
    Thankyou for the information, I have mailed the site for the information. Over the weekend, I opened the power distribution center and checked all the fuses. I used an OHM meter to check for continuity in all fuses. After they all checked out OK, and were replaced, the remote worked both the doors and the trunk. Although probably just a coincidence, after I started the car, and shut it off, the remote no longer worked. I hope the TSB helps in the future diagnostic work, otherwise I may go crazy.
  • mreillymreilly Member Posts: 7
    Last summer I paid around $500 to have the condenser replaced on my 95 Prelude VTEC. I recently discovered that there are 2 TSB's pertaining to the condenser failing on 95 Preludes(both dated 1997). (I'm original owner, BTW.)

Do I have any recourse? My mechanic (a Honda trained technician with many years of experience on Hondas) mentioned that he has had to replace many condensers on 95 Hondas (all models) because that's the year the freon changed. But mine was the first Prelude he'd had to replace, so perhaps he didn't know about the TSB?

Anyway, I was just wondering what my next step should be, or if I even have any grounds to try to get reimbursement.

Also, does anyone know about the TSB's on the stereo system in the Preludes? I'm having problems with mine and there were several references on AllData.com about TSB's for the stereo.

Despite these two problems, the car has been great overall and I will remain loyal to my Honda's (after 12 years of driving them).

Any advice appreciated! Thanks
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    My father is a brite person He lives in America to work the wage slaves,(something Americans don't get) and take advantage of the stupid group of consumerism, but then were off to Europe for a season of partying!!! Where I am going is that Ford SUCKS, and that my outside perspective tells me that! In Europe, Ford, it is the VW of Hitlers era. Wanna car, drive a Ford!!!
    I read and re read your post and have no idea what you said.Are you trying to say Americans are idiots?Or you don't like Fords?You contradicted every single sentence you posted.Clarify it for me.
    and I'm trying to figure out how this relates to TSB's! ;-)

Pat
    There is an experienced Honda tech (auburn63) hanging out in our Honda Accord and our Honda Civic topics - even though you have a Prelude, if you put your question into one of those topics I'm sure he will see it and respond.

Pat
    I took the advise of number 104 and contacted the NHSTA and requested the TSB. They contacted me noting that they charge in the area of $30-$40 for research and recommended that I provide exacting information. Therefore, it sounds like their free policy has been amended. Any other ideas on how to acquire free TSB?
    jamesk9-

Mmmmmmm.... research?? WHAT research?? All they have to do is find the TSB accoring to their coding numbers that are listed and send it on!! Something sounds screwy here. Call again. Maybe you'll get someone else with a different and better answer. Did they understand what you wanted? Some that I have talked to could barely speak English. Maybe they didn't understand what you were looking for?? If at first you don't succeed..........

fastdriver
    If you do,post it and the year,make and model you are trying to get one for and what it pertains to and I'll see what I can do.
  • nat2nat2 Member Posts: 1
    My 1998 saturn take's 7seconds to shift into
    reverse.Afte shifting to reverse it clunks
    and goes to rev,after
    7seconds of delay.
    Is there a TSB on this
    problem.Dealer said since car has 44000 on it it's out of waranty
    THANK'S
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    Have you looked on the topic list for "Transmission Traumas" ??? There are a lot of good posts there and some knowledgeable folks.

FWIW, I haven't heard a lot of complaints about Saturn trannies...

Your host, Bruce
    I had the same expereince with NHSTA in trying to get the TSB's about my Prelude. They said there was a fee for the "research" in finding my TSB, even though I had obtained the TSB numbers on their own website in a matter of about 2 minutes. I didn't pursue it after I found that out.

WHy is it such a mystery to get these TSB's? The manufacturers publish them--it's not like NHSTA and ALLDATA own the rights to them. But they make us lowly consumers pay for what SHOULD be public knowledge!!!

Will a dealership give me a TSB if I ask? Or do they not like that because it means they may have to do free repairs?

Can anybody clear up this mystery for me?

And if a TSB refers to a problem which I have already paid to have repaired, what do I do? Do I go to my dealer? Do I try to contact the manufacturer's office? Am I going to have a fight on my hands trying to get them to talk to me and help me?

I'm just a "stupid" girl (or at least that's how anyone in the auto industry sees me) so I am sure I will have a tough time getting anywhere, so ANY help will be appreciated! Thanks
    Correct me if I am wrong, but a TSB is a guidance document prepared for the benefit of a manufacturer's technicians on how to solve problems that relate to a specific issue/model/etc. It does not relate to a recall, although a TSB may be mentioned in a recall notice. If however, you have had work done relating to work that would have been covered under a recall, I have not come to a clear conclusion. Some reading suggests that work performed at non-manufacturer locations makes it difficult to assess whether the work really had to be done, while others who pressed hard enough had the work eventually covered by the manufacturer (usually under threat of a small claims lawsuit). I t comes down to, there is no one answer. In regards to your "stupid girl" comment, I think the manufacturers are trying that on all of us, using the "this is complex, electronic .... that only a dealer can understand". Good luck.
    Here's the deal.This site here is a site that will often provide you with TSB info,if you provide them with the TSB number,what it pertains to,year,make and model and what kind of problems you are having.If they have the TSB,they will usually provide the info for it.Understand that they may not have all TSBs,so some may not be helped.Also,the TSB numbers that NHTSA provides are not the manufacturer's TSB numbers,so you may create some confusion if you search with the numbers from NHTSA.
    The site for the info is BAT Auto Technical(Ok,I admit it,it is mine and several other mechanic's site).One other source for TSB info is <<A HREF="http://www.alldata.tsb.com/consumer/recall/make/">http://www.alldata.tsb.com/consumer/recall/make/">AllData but they charge for everything.Hope this helps.
    I'll try and get the TSB info for you.I had computer problems,so I had to start with a new computer and now I can't find all my automotive disks.Pretty sure I can have it by Saturday afternoon.
    mreilly-

This business of NHTSA charging for the full TSB was news to me when someone else had mentioned it. They must have changed their policy because a while back they sent me e-mail and told me how to get the full text for free. HOWEVER, the Service Bulletin Number, which is usually 6 numbers, IS the number that the dealer can use to look up the TSB on their computers! They may not like it, but they CAN do it.

As for the TSB referring to a problem that you had fixed and paid for, contact your state Consumer Protection Office and ask for their help or maybe even your state Motor Vehicle Dept. that licenses these dealers.

0patience-

"Also,the TSB numbers that NHTSA provides are not the manufacturer's TSB numbers,so you may create some confusion if you search with the numbers from NHTSA."

NOT sure if you are talking about the dealers' computers or your site, but the Service Bulletin Numbers that NHTSA provides are indeed the manufacturer's TSB numbers and can be found by the dealer IF they want to help you. I know because I have several of them that they found with the NHTSA number.

fastdriver
    If you use the NHTSA number(usually starts out as SB and the number)That number is NOT the TSB.

"I know because I have several of them that they found with the NHTSA number."

Well,I have several programs and access to the TSBs and the NHTSA number(usually starts with SB) is not the number.

Know what,I've had it.Since you know so much(NOT!) and you have all the info,you provide these folks with the TSB info(which you haven't.Hmmm,have I?Oh,that's right,I have).
    I'm tired of arguing with people.

Folks,I'm done here,I can't compete against the guys who know everything.If you need the TSB info or recalls or whatever and are at a loss,click on my user neame and e-mail me and I will be happy to try and help you out.See ya.

0patience
    Perhaps fastdriver has been fortunate enough to deal with establishments who know how to translate the NHTSA number to the actual TSB number?

Or maybe I am misunderstanding the misunderstanding ...

Whatever, your input has been extremely valuable around here, and I hope you will continue to post.

What did you say earlier, your wife gave you that nickname? And why was that? ;->

Seriously, you have helped a lot of people here for a long time. I hope that you will stick around.

Pat
  • bnormannbnormann Member Posts: 335
    0Patience,

Please tell me that you will continue to join in our other discussions!!! You are one of the top reasons people keep coming back here, they know there is a cadre of people such as yourself that KNOW what they are talking about and who won't make something up if they don't.

Your host, Bruce
    OK, guys....here's the skinny...

I had written off NHTSA because they said they would charge me for the research of looking up my TSB, but, lo and behold, in the mail today, I received both copies of the TSBs I had requested--FREE OF CHARGE!!!!

Perhaps they didn't charge me for research because I included everything they needed (see post #104, I think, that gives a copy of what NHTSA requests). They ask for the SB#, the NHTSA Item #, the date the TSB was issued, the year, make, & model of your car, and your name/addr/phone#.

I was very pleasantly surprised by their promptness and how thorough their paperwork was, too. It gives you options for getting help from the dealer, (if such help was offered in the TSB).

So I called Honda's Consumer Affairs # & the man I spoke to was very nice and very friendly. All I have to do is send them a copy of my receipt showing the repair, the part number replaced, and how much I paid. He can't guarantee that they'll reimburse 100% of the labor, but he will send me a check for the parts (almost $300!). That kind of helpfulness is while I'll stick to my Honda's!!! :-)

So for anyone else with a TSB problem, my advice is to persevere, get as mich info as possible, and be nice to the people on the phone (it gets you a lot farther than being nasty!)

Thanks everyone for all of your help! (And please don't leave, opatience! I didn't mean to start such a heated debate about TSB's this past week!)
    0patience-

WHAT is your problem? I wasn't knocking you or any info that you were/have been giving to people. I was just stating what I know with the info at NHTSA and the e-mail they sent to me a long time ago about how to obtain the full TSB! The "Service Bulletin Number:" is indeed the number that appears at the top of the CHRYSLER TSB's anyway. Maybe different manufacturers have different computer setups and don't use this Service Bulletin Number to access the actual TSB's on their computers.

As for the programs you use to access the TSB info, it may well be that the Service Bulletin Number: from NHTSA is of NO use. If you had taken the time to read my message above thoroughly, instead of jumping down my throat, you would see that I made that quite clear! I have NO clue what programs you use.

fastdriver