Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Merging Psychology: Don't Hate the "Sidezoomer"

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited December 2014 in General
imageCar Merging Psychology: Don't Hate the "Sidezoomer"

How you merge in your car says a lot about you as a person. But it turns out that late mergers — hated by some — might actually be improving traffic flow.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rofaithrofaith Member Posts: 1
    Yup, I'm a sidesignaler..... putting on my signal is essentially asking permission to slide into a slot. If no slots are available, invariably, a kind driver will create one with nearly no objections by those behind that driver. And I'm in Southern California, the ultimate in car-culture places to live. The signal is actually in this case, a request for courtesy, a question being asked, "do you remember when you were needing a place to merge into on this busy highway ? Then, let me give you the experience of paying it forward." 99% of the time, people are courteous and will create a place for you.... to the guys who zoom ahead, around or cut you off, they are paying it forward as well.... what goes around, comes around. Being kind is a virtue even when driving. The privacy of the passenger cabin in my car doesn't remove me from my accountability wrt being kind to others.... regardless, paying it forward is something that somehow, God makes sure happens based on my choices.... it's a cool thing.
  • Options
    technojungletechnojungle Member Posts: 1
    I always merge in front of cell phone users. Sorry, if you're not paying attention and I am, sucks for you. I also get in front of people who stop 15' short of the line at stoplights as well.
  • Options
    infinite8infinite8 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    In traffic congestion, it doesn't take an aggressive personality to follow a traffic pattern that is logical. Unless, of course, you're suggesting that early mergers, in addition to being kindhearted, are also dumb...
  • Options
    jhaubenreichjhaubenreich Member Posts: 1
    WV had signs up on the interstate (no fancy computerized LED signs) that said, essentially, "Continue in lane until merge." It worked perfectly. Two lanes of traffic flowed normally until the yellow merge sign (right before the construction zone) and drivers in the right lane merged behind every other car/truck in the left lane. Stress-less. Economical.